Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times

Advertisements

I think it's highly appropriate to compare LA to a third world country. Take a look around.

The biggest problem with the "growth" and "development" of LA is that LA is being developed out of LA and it is becoming the West Coast New York. YUCK!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I think it's highly appropriate to compare LA to a third world country. Take a look around.

The biggest problem with the "growth" and "development" of LA is that LA is being developed out of LA and it is becoming the West Coast New York. YUCK!
Nothing more I despise than "clichés" and sound bites. How exactly does it compare to a thrid world country and which thrid world coutry do you think it's becoming more like?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
You are the one who started this thread comparing LA to a third country and now you have the nerve to be offended by the comparison? If you paid attention, most new construction includes retail space on the first floor. LA was not built on the premise of living above businesses. That's an East Coast (New York) mentality brought on by necessity of lack of space. That has never been the case here. But everywhere you look, a new building includes the first floor of retail.

Btw, there are parts of LA that look exactly like TJ.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,738,563 times
Quote:
You are the one who started this thread comparing LA to a third country and now you have the nerve to be offended by the comparison? If you paid attention, most new construction includes retail space on the first floor. LA was not built on the premise of living above businesses. That's an East Coast (New York) mentality brought on by necessity of lack of space. That has never been the case here. But everywhere you look, a new building includes the first floor of retail.

Totally agree. LA and parts of San Diego, are probably more "TJ" than the actual TJ

Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Totally agree. LA and parts of San Diego, are probably more "TJ" than the actual TJ
TJ for sure. I have been to places in Los Angeles where it looks like I crossed over the border without knowing it. When will it end? What is Los Angeles coming too? Not just Los Angeles but America?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,365 times
Cool 'City Riches' article in L.A. Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Nothing more I despise than "clichés" and sound bites. How exactly does it compare to a thrid world country and which thrid world coutry do you think it's becoming more like?
Agreed: what is the point? We deserve better. This is a 'forum', right?

CITY RICHES - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-coverintro-2008jul27,0,3744842.story - broken link)

Above is a great article in the LA Times today about suburbanites who have moved downtown. They made a big move and detail the reality of their new lives. We could use more of that on this forum, not the tiresome cliches both positive and negative. These people aren't poor, i.e. 'third worlders' nor are they whiny Angelenos/expats who would rather complain than work to improve where they live.

With all due respect, if you don't care about your neighborhood or your home, you should leave as soon as possible and find someplace where you will be happy. And it's not exclusive to L.A.

The City has been good to me: I own a home, have a good job, live close to transit and work, and I'm involved in the community. You get back what you are willing to give.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:

You might have to sharpen up on your comprehension skills as I never started this thread, nor did I compare it to a third world country. LA was never built on any premise. Like every where else it develops and you make the best use of the space you have. What constructions are you talking about? The ones down town? Last time I was there 3 years ago I didn't notice a disproportionate amount of new homes being build on top of retail spaces unless it was in a more commercial area.

You ought to visit London and see how we cope with a city whose roads were originally built for horse and buggys.

TJ? I've known parts of LA that have lots of mexicans but I wont go as far as to say it looked like TJ. Hopefully you will like Arkanasas....the best thing about it whenever I was there was leaving it. I'll take a Mesican any day over ignorant bible thumping holly rollers or rednecks.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You might have to sharpen up on your comprehension skills as I never started this thread, nor did I compare it to a third world country. LA was never built on any premise. Like every where else it develops and you make the best use of the space you have. What constructions are you talking about? The ones down town? Last time I was there 3 years ago I didn't notice a disproportionate amount of new homes being build on top of retail spaces unless it was in a more commercial area.

You ought to visit London and see how we cope with a city whose roads were originally built for horse and buggys.

TJ? I've known parts of LA that have lots of mexicans but I wont go as far as to say it looked like TJ. Hopefully you will like Arkanasas....the best thing about it whenever I was there was leaving it. I'll take a Mesican any day over ignorant bible thumping holly rollers or rednecks.
Oops my faux pas, I did start this thread, but I never compared it with a third world country. It's pretty hot and I'm about to walk out of the house for dinner and some cold alcoholic bevs. Gawd I need it.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:

What exactly do you know about Arkansas anyway? It's a beautiful state and just because it sits in the bible belt, does not make it a bad thing. I'd rather take "bible thumpers" and "rednecks" instead of a wannabe TJ...
My husbands family are from Arkansas and I'd hardly look down on them. They were poor, lived in the hollows of Arkansas, many still do, but his grandparents broke out and moved to San Diego at an early age. His grandfather got into politics in National City and is responsible for starting the Mile of Cars down there.
Before you blast a whole state and it's people, please know what you are talking about.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Oops my faux pas, I did start this thread, but I never compared it with a third world country. It's pretty hot and I'm about to walk out of the house for dinner and some cold alcoholic bevs. Gawd I need it.
Hmmm, me thinks you may have already been partaking if you don't even remember starting the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles