Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,311,780 times

Advertisements

The LA I left in '95 was no different to what I returned to in 2003. Sure places change and I did notice that some parts of my old hoods of Sherman Oaks and Studio City were looking decisively grubbier, but all in all it was just another day in paradise.

I think if some of you spent a week in parts of India, Bangladesh, parts of Africa and even my home town of London you'll learn to appreciate a good thing. Los Angeles is not perfect and I wouldn't choose to live there again, but that's because my next move will be to wide open spaces, where I don't have neighbours too close to me nor traffic. The scaremongering I read here from some of you responding to people who want to move to LA is exaggerated.

What gives people?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,738,563 times
So, compared to India, Bangladesh and some parts of Africa, LA is a good place? Dosn't sell me, sorry!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Aint comparing LA to Bangladesh or asking anyone to. Just saying how wussy some folks are. C'mon y'all still expect Orange groves on Reseda Blvd? And why is everyone so suprised?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,738,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Aint comparing LA to Bangladesh or asking anyone to. Just saying how wussy some folks are. C'mon y'all still expect Orange groves on Reseda Blvd? And why is everyone so suprised?
Growth is inevitable (sp?) but the growth of LA isn't in a positive way. Sure, there's nice places outside of LA, but LA in general isn't that great.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Come to think of it, I should have made this thread all about the positives of living in LA.

Anyone who is happy with their life here care to share? It's not Shangri-La but heck it's a pretty exciting place to live.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Growth is inevitable (sp?) but the growth of LA isn't in a positive way. Sure, there's nice places outside of LA, but LA in general isn't that great.
I'll agree with all you said, but I can think of a lot of worse places to live....it's a nice place for some.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
The LA I left in '95 was no different to what I returned to in 2003. Sure places change and I did notice that some parts of my old hoods of Sherman Oaks and Studio City were looking decisively grubbier, but all in all it was just another day in paradise.

I think if some of you spent a week in parts of India, Bangladesh, parts of Africa and even my home town of London you'll learn to appreciate a good thing. Los Angeles is not perfect and I wouldn't choose to live there again, but that's because my next move will be to wide open spaces, where I don't have neighbours too close to me nor traffic. The scaremongering I read here from some of you responding to people who want to move to LA is exaggerated.

What gives people?
I'll bet these places you are talking about are nicer,cleaner and safer than some areas in Los Angeles.
Is Los Angeles that bad that it has to be compared Too third world countries?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
I don't think any of the world's economic epicenters, such as NYC, LA, SF or London, offer a particularly admirable std of living for most middle-income people....

Most middle-inc people would prob enjoy a greater std of living in Chicago or Dallas...

But, given equal, mid-6-fig incomes, suspect QOL is far greater in LA region than anywhere on planet, except SF region....a close battle...

Stuff people in LA undervalue incls nr-perfect weather; dramatic nearby topography....prob better overall restaurants on LA's Westside than in SF today....and traffic really depends upon where one lives and where is one's office......e.g., many middle-inc people live and work in Irvine....or live and work in 1000 Oaks corridor...and many upper-inc people both live/work in BevHills corridor, so many in LA region actually have rather short, easy commutes....

LA is the pioneer decentralized urban region, where notion of a "central" city w/jobs and numerous bedroom suburbs is fairly irrelevant (every other high-growth urban region in US, like Dall, Hou, Phx, Atl, etc merely emulate LA's sprawl pattern)....many jobs/industries are located all over the LA region which stretches from 1000 Oaks w/Amgen, down to the many tech cos. in Southern OC....

Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I'll bet these places you are talking about are nicer,cleaner and safer than some areas in Los Angeles.
Is Los Angeles that bad that it has to be compared Too third world countries?
Now I'n confused If you don't mind me asking what's your point?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,952 times
LA has rich people who love it,
or poor people who hate it.
So there you go either get rich or get out.
This is not Capitalism or even Communism,
this is Nietzsche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles