Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LA and parts of San Diego, are probably more "TJ" than the actual TJ
I'll go back for a grammar brush-up with Raggy then. I assumed that since you didn't say "parts" of LA as in "parts of San Diego" you were referring to the entire metro area.

Raggy dee Ann posted a positive thread about LA. You don't like LA so decided put it down. She begged to differ in your opinion so you took it to a personal level. And SHE's being condescending? I have many friends from Europe who have visited far more places in the US than I have. And I'm pretty well traveled.

These Love/Hate LA threads are really becoming tiresome.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM

149 posts, read 201,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
The LA I left in '95 was no different to what I returned to in 2003. Sure places change and I did notice that some parts of my old hoods of Sherman Oaks and Studio City were looking decisively grubbier, but all in all it was just another day in paradise.

I think if some of you spent a week in parts of India, Bangladesh, parts of Africa and even my home town of London you'll learn to appreciate a good thing. Los Angeles is not perfect and I wouldn't choose to live there again, but that's because my next move will be to wide open spaces, where I don't have neighbours too close to me nor traffic. The scaremongering I read here from some of you responding to people who want to move to LA is exaggerated.

What gives people?
London?

What? London is a far better/finer/global city than Los Angeles.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
London?

What? London is a far better/finer/global city than Los Angeles.
I'll persist. Soho111, read the post that you quoted. The OP was comparing LA favorably to London- rightly or wrongly. Come on people. Stop looking for a fight. Um, except for me I'm in one of those moods again tonite.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
Quote:
Yeah I spelled Mexican “mesican”, just a play on the actual spelling and pronunciation and I placed too many "a's" in Arkansas - bite me

Sure LA is going to hell because their building condos on top of retail stores.....
You need to get a grip and get one quick. You have no right to tell anyone who actually LIVES in LA anything about it. ESPECIALLY someone who grew here and has lived here over thrity years. You really sound like an uneducated ignoramus.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Quote:
The country I live in, where I’m posting from is 7 HOURS AHEAD OF PACIFIC TIME. It’s also 4 hours ahead of New York and 5 hours ahead of Mexico. If I'm not logged in the time stamp on posts are CT however when I'm logged in It shows my current time which at the moment is 12.46am just gone midnight. This is stuff you should know.
if you think i SHOULD KNOW where you are posting from, you severely overestimate your importance in the world at large. now you just sound like you're on crack.

Last edited by katenik; 07-27-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 PM

I love that I can hear the waves crashing on the beach and the seals barking in the morning. I love it that the kids that I coached 10-years ago recognize me around town and ask how it's going. I love it when my kids say "we'll call you dad" when they hop on their bikes to ride to PV or Santa Monica. I love it when my neighbors call to ask me if we're going to the "Movie in the Park." I love it when my neighbors call me to tell me that my garage door is not completely closed . . . when I'm on vacation. I love it when me and my neighbors give each other bags of lemons, nectarines, oranges, tomatoes, plums, etc. because we can't use them all. I love it when . . .

. . .Oh !#^%4!, sorry, wrong thread . . .

Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
I was born in LA, and 98% of my family still lives there. I could care less for the place. I hated it twenty years ago, and I hate it more now. Even though I was born in LA, I will always be Nor Cal.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM

And I "'COULDN'T' care less about NorCal."

Grammer cop in action! How's Portland, ME? A lot like NorCal? Where are the other 2%?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:03 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You are the one who started this thread comparing LA to a third country and now you have the nerve to be offended by the comparison? If you paid attention, most new construction includes retail space on the first floor. LA was not built on the premise of living above businesses. That's an East Coast (New York) mentality brought on by necessity of lack of space. That has never been the case here. But everywhere you look, a new building includes the first floor of retail.

Btw, there are parts of LA that look exactly like TJ.
I never knew NY was part of a 3rd world country wow.

So your saying progress in high rises, and diversity in a world class city makes it a 3rd world city. Tell me when LA has dirt roads, no electricity, or no clean running water then we can say LA is changing to what a third world country would look like. Also your forgetting SF which has that mentality and sits on the west coast.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
The "progress" of high rises is destroying the charm of the city. There is NO NEED for people to have to live on top of retail establishments. As for third world, the areas of Alvarado to Bixel, Venice to Temple are paved, industrialized "third world". This is not positive embracable diversity. This is blood sucking, economy draining, extremely invasive diversity. But I guess you don't mind paying higher taxes and having lower quality of and lack of access to services your tax dollars pay for to accommodate "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles