Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,382 times

Advertisements

The last photo shown is not a mimosa tree. We had 3 very lg mimosa trees in our last house (in so cal). They are gorgeous trees. They are wider and lower trees, not huge like that one in the photo above. They have a little darker bark and the flowers are more 'feathery'. The leaves are almost like a fern. I loved those trees. Provide great shade, but dont kill the lawn underneath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
I love mimosa trees too - they also smell great, sort of peach-like.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
you aren't talking about this one by chance are you?
:d:d i will buy the house just for the tree! Just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
Default This pic is NOT a bottle brush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
We had this tree in our backyard and it was called a Bottle Brush tree.
The picture referenced here is absolutely positively 100% a Pohutukawa aka New Zealand Christmas tree. It might be related to a bottle brush (Australian) but they are definately different. Check them both out on Wikipedia. Leaves and flowers are different on both trees and bottle brush flowers are more elongated and a slightly lighter in colour. I know there are a number of Pohutukawas in the San Diego area and there are many around Westfield UTC. They flower in the summer, which in NZ is around Christmas hence the "NZ Christmas tree".

Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Is this the tree? This is a mimosa tree.

I have two Mimosa trees in my front yard.
I have owned my house for 3 years and just found out the name of trees today.I also noticed one flower today.the flowers are like silk.Some people call these trees silk trees.The flowers and leaves will be gone around the end of October beginning of November.
I will post pics if anyone wants.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Exactly... the flowers are sort of pod-like. I got more pics of them on Rowena today.

Those trees sprout out of everywhere and anywhere around my neighborhood - they are none too picky on where they sprout. The pods release little black ball seeds that roll everywhere and will take root in the smallest crack of concrete. I let one grow in my backyard from a seedling when I first bought the house in 1998, and had to cut the durn thing out by 2008 (10 years) because it grew into a monster!

If you want a tree like that just pick up a few of the seeds underneath it and you can grow them yourself. Just be careful where you plant it, because it will grow so fast you won't recognize it from one day to the next.

Even though I no longer have a tree, I still am chasing down the seedlings constantly because the neighbors' trees drop their seeds and the ball shape means they can roll quite the distance! I'd also love to know what the tree is called - and it is definitely not a bottle brush tree or a mimosa!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I was surprised to see a Mimosa Tree here in Denver a the Botanical gardens last week which was in glorious bloom, I was just shuffling through the forums here when I saw some pics here. I agree with another previous poster..the first pic here is not a true bottle nose not elongated enough and bristles are not the same shape..I have had a fascination with those trees over the years..first time I saw one was at the San Diego zoo ... they have a substantial collection of them. We also have them in the Denver Botanical Gardens in the Arboretum. The BB tree tends to bloom from late Nov- early April. I am often jealous of you Californian's because of your endless plant species options.. especially desert chaparel,subtropical foliage.. used to have a few when I lived out there..I have recently started to really appreciate our higher alpine plants in the Mountains of Colorado more. Still it's always nice to see the California flowering subtropicals..I also love the Jacarda, although I know you guys hate the mess they often leave behind.

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-27-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I am guessing you meant the Jacaranda - it's the beautiful purple flower tree that is a sticky BEECH to clean up.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:19 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
[quote=DontH8Me;10486936]I am guessing you meant the Jacaranda - it's the beautiful purple flower tree that is a sticky BEECH to clean up. [/quote

Yes thank you for pointing that out,feeling a little stupid] I wonder what a Jacarda is..sounds like some cheap men's cologne from the 70's..maybe the Anchor Man wore it..
Yes those purple flowers are Beautiful..kind of dang exotic looking

Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
OK, this tree is a flowering tree. I saw it today in Silverlake, on Rowena. It has salmon-colored flowers that appear to be fuzzy. It's so pretty!

Sorry, no picture. I've tried to google it but it's hard since I don't know its name.

Anybody?

Hi I don't know what the tree is either, but my email is [EMAIL="prledbury@aol.com"]prledbury@aol.com[/EMAIL]. I have a pic on my phone, and maybe I can get it to put it on here (video game, electronic handicapped) I am dying to know what the tree is too. It's deciduous <?> and has the same color flower as the salmon crayon in a box of Crayola's. If you find out anything, would you let me know? If I do, I'll come post it. Dying to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles