Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,070 times

Advertisements

My wife works in San Diego and I work in Los Angeles. What would be the best place for us to relocate to make travel easier for both of us and what are our travel options (driving, Metrolink, buses) and how much time would it take in these scenarios. We are ready to move to a new location if it requires.We are currently in Torrance, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
check www.metrolinktrains.com and look for neighborhoods around stations in the south OC. remember though, you're talking 3-4 hours on a train every day for both of you. i know i couldn't do it.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times
Wow..!
Temecula is about halfway between the 2, somewhat cheap housing, and pretty nice and safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temecula,_California

Or possibly Murrieta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murrieta,_California

That's pretty much it unless you can afford the areas on the 5 south like San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente.. just look at a map and see what is halfway.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
What would make the most sense would be for your wife to find a job in the LA area since you already have a job in LA and you are in Torrance. There is no solution that won't require a major commute for one (like now) or both (in the middle) of you.

Unless she makes way more than you, then you should move to San Diego and you get a job there. Why you two have jobs 200 mile apart is beyond me. It sounds like very bad planning.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Thank you all.

@CESpeed. I do agree this might look like bad planning but finding a new job in our respective area of expertise during these times of economic slowdown is not easy, believe me.Having said that we would definately explore that option some time later but in the meantime we have to figure out something that would make commuting easier for both of us.Any suggestion is apprecated.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
What about Tustin or somewhere like that? Then you could both take the metrolink, maybe...

Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
What about Tustin or somewhere like that? Then you could both take the metrolink, maybe...
Tustin would be my vote, as well.

That, or the other most logical option in light of the situation: purchase a helicopter.

Last edited by ConsideringLA; 10-09-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Where specifically are the jobs? Downtown LA, Century City, Woodland Hills, etc...? Downtown San Diego, Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Rancho Bernardo, etc....? This will help us know whether or not you can ride the train or not. For example, you can ride the train from Irvine to Downtown LA in just over an hour, but you can't take the train to get to LAX area for example. You can take the train to Del Mar, but you can't take it to Escondido, etc....

So, what area of these large cities are the jobs?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 AM

@missionhome I work in Torrance. My wife's office is at Balboa and 15 Fwy in San Diego. I know South Traffic from Orange County to San Diego would be bad, but also, driving up North to LA for me would be worse! Also if I take a train, I can go to either LA Union Station or Commerce. The distance to my office from these places is 29 mi and 19 mi respectively. Tough situation.

As of now we think moving to Oceanside might work as my wife can drive 21 mi South and I can drive around 80 mi North (I am a more experienced driver). My wife has the option to take a train (Coaster) and then its 9 miles to her work from there (San Diego Old town).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,774 times
Smile I need help on finding a place to relocate from highland park....

I don't want to stay in highland park, I'm deciding to move next year to a college that's near attractions, beach, etc. But, i don't want to be too far away from highland park though, because i would like to visit family once in awhile here in highland park. Does anyone know of any good cities or places in California that have a community college near , and that would be possible to drive from to get to highland park? I don't mind having to drive a couple miles to get back home, but i just want it to be manageable.

Please respond , all the tips answers i can get would be awesome!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles