Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM

19 posts, read 79,444 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my name is Gary and I am originally from Garden Grove but moved up to Seattle when I was young. Now,at age 22 with two quarters left at the University of Washington, I will be returning to LA but am a little unsure of which area will fit my interests best. I've always been attracted to the greater LA area (and no not because of the sunshine and the 'biz').

I am still young with no attachments so a lively area with young people would be best, however I don't think I'd like Santa Monica or Westwood. I also speak Spanish and Portguese having lived in both Mexico and Brazil but enjoy open minded genuine people, a good mix of culture, cool bars and lounges, and concerts and festivals. I was thinking of starting off by just renting a room/share before really committing. looking to spend between 500-900 for a room. Some areas I think I may like are...

-Culver City
-Lawndale
-Torrance
-Redondo Beach
(Maybe Long Beach and Huntington but both are a bit far)

So, with all of that said, I am wondering if anyone could help me figure this out before I move in July. I appreciate any opinions or help.
Thanks you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
Where will you be working?

I would put coastal Long Beach high on your list as it meets a lot of your criteria

Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
you will need to find a job before you decide where to live. given the current economic environment, make sure you have a job before you move down here.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 22,273 times
Well I would think that Culver City would be Fun, depending what you are really into. The one thing you definitely don't want to do is to drive two hours each day to work, so I would suggest that you first find a job and only then weigh your options.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,866 times
Don't forget Pasadena. I really like the warm genuine people of Pasadena, it has all the nightlife and culture you are looking for, and is an easy drive to downtown. It has a thriving economy of its own as well. Get that job first though, of course.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 PM

19 posts, read 79,444 times
I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I have a job lined up in Marina Del Rey area. I have some family that lives in Long Beach as well I really like it there too, what are some of its pros and cons? I have never actually been to Pasadena, it sounds nice though, pros cons? Anyways, thanks you guys, I appreciate the help.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,543 times
Hmm...

How about Venice? It's cool, trendy, hip, bohemian, eclectic,etc..has a myriad of bars, cafes, lofts, boutiques and isn't far at all from Marina del Rey. One can even ride their bike there is they wish.

Same goes for Redondo Beach, except its a little more contained into one area and tends to be pricier. Redondo Beach is more of a yuppie/suburban vibe while Venice is a little more alternative/off the beaten path (though, as it gentrifies, this is becoming more and more sterilized).

I'd skip Torrance. Not much there in the forum of "happening" unless you dig generic, big box malls/shopping centers that be found in anywhere, USA. Also, its population is a lot traditional than the other cities, with many old-timey folks.

Downtown Culver City may be the perfect compromise, that or nearby Palms. Lots of stuff to do; tons of delicious mid-range cafes/restaurants, theaters, galleries, new loft developments and conversions, decent pedestrian foot traffic, decent amount of foliage and greenery, too.

Hope I was of some help to you, If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
You actually may want to consider trying to find a room for rent in the Playa Vista area...lots of young professionals. And I second the suggestion of Venice and possibly Santa Monica.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
traffic into the marina area can be very bad. i would probably want to live within a few miles of your office. i would definitely stay on the westside though espcially considering your history with Brazil. The Palms neighborhood that someone mentioned before is the center of the Brazilian community in LA. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford. You will definitely need to share a place on your budget, maybe in the Playa Del Rey area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles