Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 PM

96 posts, read 410,337 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to LA and married an American, I had money in the bank from selling my small house in the UK. We used my money as the down payment. But when we went to get the mortgage, most of the bankers would not look at my salary or income because I did not have a credit history in the US. The fact that I had owned my own home in the UK was irrelevant.

Do you have green cards or jobs lined up? Unless you do, I don't see any bank loaning you money right after you step off a plane... Not without a job, credit history, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
"3x gross income" is a very old rule from the days when mortgage rates were 8% or higher. You can typically afford to go to 5x, maybe 6x if you have 20% down. If you buy a house using the 3x rule, you'll probably find yourself one of the wealthiest people in the neighborhood. 10x is not doable and nobody will lend you 10x your gross income. (maybe except the mob, if you put your kidney as a collateral!)

It is difficult to impossible to borrow money to buy the house unless you're a U.S. citizen or you have a green card. You need decent credit history and at least a year of continuous employment in the United States.

There are different programs and lenders, but, generally speaking, it gets more difficult to borrow if your combined monthly payment (mortgage, property taxes etc.) is greater than 40-45% of your gross income, or if you have to borrow more than 500-600K.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM

52 posts, read 196,781 times
Good point. I lived in Canada for several years and ran into a similar problem (not that I sold a home in the US before moving there). I had to put money down to get a credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
When I first moved to LA and married an American, I had money in the bank from selling my small house in the UK. We used my money as the down payment. But when we went to get the mortgage, most of the bankers would not look at my salary or income because I did not have a credit history in the US. The fact that I had owned my own home in the UK was irrelevant.

Do you have green cards or jobs lined up? Unless you do, I don't see any bank loaning you money right after you step off a plane... Not without a job, credit history, etc etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 30,127 times
I would also suggest you rent for six months to figure out where you want to settle down. Commuting is a big factor so you may want to check out areas close to where you will be working. I would also suggest you find a realtor and let them do the work, both for your rental and eventual purchase. They will also be able to advise you on financing.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
No lender is going to approve you for a loan unless the balance is less than 3 times your annual income. You must also show proof of income and many lenders will question your blank credit history. Your credit history doesn't travel between nations and right now lending is very restrictive. Without a credit history you'll need at least 30% down.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM

830 posts, read 2,861,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
"3x gross income" is a very old rule from the days when mortgage rates were 8% or higher. You can typically afford to go to 5x, maybe 6x if you have 20% down. If you buy a house using the 3x rule, you'll probably find yourself one of the wealthiest people in the neighborhood. 10x is not doable and nobody will lend you 10x your gross income. (maybe except the mob, if you put your kidney as a collateral!)

It is difficult to impossible to borrow money to buy the house unless you're a U.S. citizen or you have a green card. You need decent credit history and at least a year of continuous employment in the United States.

There are different programs and lenders, but, generally speaking, it gets more difficult to borrow if your combined monthly payment (mortgage, property taxes etc.) is greater than 40-45% of your gross income, or if you have to borrow more than 500-600K.
3x gross income isn't an "old" rule of thumb, it is prudent lending. Everyone that supported the California housing bubble tried to explain away the old 3x rule, as if things are different now and it didn't apply. You can see where that got us.

If you're spending 40% of your gross income on a place to live, after having already put down $100k in savings as your downpayment, you don't have much money left to do anything at all. Let's do some math here.

Let's say you buy a $500,000 house, put down $100,000 in cash as a down payment, because everyone has an extra $100,000 laying around. You finance $400,000 at 5% for 30 years.

Annual numbers (rounded)
1) Mortgage payment = $26,000
2) Property taxes = $5,000
3) Long-term maintenance = $5,000
4) Income taxes (varies) = $30,000
5) Savings (15%) = $15,000

Just these numbers total to $81,000.

That leaves you $19,000 per year to pay for health insurance and medical costs, cars, gas, car insurance, car repairs, entertainment, vacations, extraordinary expenses, food, clothes, education, etc. In other words, not a chance in hell. You would be totally house poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles