Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

DV1, you're going to either have to scale back your expectations of what "nice" is, or move to the San Fernando Valley, the Inland Empire, etc. The areas you mentioned are still prime real estate, and although the housing market has started to soften a little, it's not enough to impact rentals yet.

This is what makes L.A. such an expensive place to live. If housing were cheaper, we'd all be able to live on a lot less! (I know, I know, Captain Obvious here... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV1 View Post
okay hmm well in west hollywood how much is a 1 bed., see here my friends think paying 600 is way to much for them... my stepbrother is 23 and my parents help him with his apartment and its a luxury one here in clayton, mo if anyone if familiar with that are of saint louis... so where in los angeles could 1500 get me that is nice

There are more low paying jobs in MO than CA. And fewer people desire to live in MO. See, there just aren't enough star struck 18 year olds in CA looking for a new life in Missouri.

That happens once you have a family and realize, gee, maybe I don't want to pay the CA sunshine tax anymore...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
Your parents will subsidize 18K a year for your apartment halfway across the country and got you a car, and you throw out from-a-map nice L.A. places to live with no relation to a job or education nearby? What are they expecting from their investment?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
Default Once again, everybody knocks the valley

I live in the SFV and my wife and I were paying $1300 for a 2 bed/2 bath in Chatsworth last year until we bought our house. I still don't get why transplants are so inclined to live in areas that are overcrowded, starved for parking and public transportation and prohibitavely expensive. Especially when you young 'ens are more concerned with going out every weekend than anything else. Everybody has a car in L.A. anyway, right? So why not live in a place that's cheaper and has less crime like the San Fernando Valley and then drive to the other cities to go clubbing on the weekends? You won't have to live in a neighborhood where all you hear at night is sirens and helicopters, you'll have all the conviniences you need (malls, movie theaters, supermarkets, etc.), you'll save some money and you don't have to leave your house 2 hours in advance to get to work (well, that depends on where you work).
I say look in Granada Hills, Chatsworth and possibly even Reseda for a good bargain. You'll have to drive to different cities once you get tired of the same old stuff that's in Hollywood anyway and at least you won't be fighting traffic to get out.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM

21 posts, read 77,623 times
Check in North Hollywood. I found a nice studio (nice to me probably isn't classy or anything, but it gets me by) for $800/month, not including utilities (just water and trash). I saw some really nice 1 bedrooms for around 1200-1300. It's not West Hollywood, but I think it's nice.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
DV1 DV1 started this thread

5 posts, read 11,521 times
well see i am going to have a car already, parents just got me a 09 335i, i will be working.. im looking to be a talent agent or something in the entertainment industry... what about velencina or somehting like that.. i heard thats a pretty good area

Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Pasadena and its surrounding area are very nice like Clayton, MO. Old Town Pasadena is very much like St. Louis' Central West End. You could get a studio in Pasadena, maybe, for the money you are talking, and you'd be safe. Are you planning to work or attend college? A lot will depend on where you end up working.

By the way....when you are talking about a place, the word is "there", not "their".

Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
well see i am going to have a car already, parents just got me a 09 335i, i will be working.. im looking to be a talent agent or something in the entertainment industry... what about velencina or somehting like that.. i heard thats a pretty good area
What does that matter?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM

158 posts, read 504,127 times
Quote:
Dude, you need to contact MTV's Real World Productions immediately.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
yes, velencina would be perfect for you. go now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles