Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM

345 posts, read 1,016,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
when you're on cocaine it's pretty magical... in other words, yeah, 80% of the population likes it.
I wasn't on cocaine and I found it magical. I think your generalization is absurb...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
To me, L.A is also a magical place. I have lived on OC since I was 11 or so; I have lived in Anaheim as a child, Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach.. OC also has warm weather and palm trees, however it does not have the "magical L.A quality for me". OC is far too suburban and boring for me, I feel like I'm trapped and suffocating here... But when I drive to L.A it's like going to a new world; it's so glamorous and exciting. I think it's mostly because of the Hollywood connection and because everyone in L.A wants to be "someone" and become famous. This may be a drawback to some people but for me it makes L.A so vibrant and exciting. I like the fact that everyone is so busy and "going somewhere" and ambitious to become famous etc, it gives the city an energetic vibe whereas O.C is so incredible mundane...

It's the big Hollywood sign, the Hollywood walk of fame, the mansions, Beverly Hills, the exotic cars, the Sunset Strip... It's all so intoxicating.

It wouldn't be a huge step for me to move to L.A however I'm still hesitant to do so; mainly because I don't know anyone there and it would be hard for me to make new friends. I am self-employed so the commute/traffic wouldn't be a problem... This may sound crazy but since I work from home and don't have to commute I actually sort of like sitting in traffic sometimes, listening to music and taking in the scene...

Rent wouldn't be a problem either because I live in Oc which can be fairly expensive as well. I am sure it's comparable to L.A

I'm a 30 yr old single female (who doesn't want kids or a family) so I don't have to really think of anyone else's needs except for my own. I would just love to live in the city towards the west side, perhaps Santa Monica... But even though I'm an hour away it just seems like such a huge step. All my life long friends are in OC... It's very scary to move to a city where I don't know anyone, but yes, I have to say that L.A is an incredible magical city to me.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM

15 posts, read 41,707 times
There is something surreal about LA, because it's like a different country. Friends who have lived there their entire life agree with me.

It's like, there's the United States and then there's California and New York.

And the skies are blue there..

Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 PM

436 posts, read 908,390 times
Yeah stuff disappears all the time.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
I have visited LA/OC several times. The first was 28 years ago when I was 12. I was immediately in love with the palm trees, the air, and just the feel of the place. It seemed so magical. Recent trips only confirm my love affair with the atmosphere there. Does that ever go away if you live there?
If by "magical" you mean full of mentally deranged lunatics and rude nosey-bodies, then yes indeed it's quite magical.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:45 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
my memories of it are magical. i can remember the first time i saw those palm trees when i was 5! many fun memories of the beach, dining, shopping & family things. but it's not the same anymore! it's more crowded & many places have evolved into more snobbiness. driving & parking is super stress.

but i don't miss it much. just a little. the idea of driving to see all i miss is mentally stressful. i'd like to get a look at the Wilshire district again, but only if someone else would do the driving!

what i seriously miss is my mother who lives in downey.

kate

Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
i can remember the first time i saw those palm trees when i was 5! many fun memories of the beach, dining, shopping & family things. but it's not the same anymore!
Ya but...

Traffic was bad then too, not as bad as today though. The difference is, we weren't driving then, our parents where hauling our butts around in one of these.

I can hear the kids in the back singing "Hey Jude" or "One hundred bottles of beer on the wall, one hundred bottles of beer, you take one down, pass it around 99 bottles of beer on the wall...."

(image is public domain and not protected)

Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya but...

Traffic was bad then too, not as bad as today though. The difference is, we weren't driving then, our parents where hauling our butts around in one of these.

I can hear the kids in the back singing "Hey Jude" or "One hundred bottles of beer on the wall, one hundred bottles of beer, you take one down, pass it around 99 bottles of beer on the wall...."

(image is public domain and not protected)
Do I espy a (modern) New York license plate on that wagon? It's a real buzzkill.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
I have visited LA/OC several times. The first was 28 years ago when I was 12. I was immediately in love with the palm trees, the air, and just the feel of the place. It seemed so magical. Recent trips only confirm my love affair with the atmosphere there. Does that ever go away if you live there?
The air? You love LA air? I don't even know how to respond to that...

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Do I espy a (modern) New York license plate on that wagon? It's a real buzzkill.

Good catch. You're right. Takes away the nostalgic look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles