Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 32,539 times

Advertisements

I just moved out here recently from the Bay. I been comin out to L.A. for a year and a half and moved out here 5 months ago. I lived in Glendale and now found a place in Boyle Heights. Everytime i mention I'm movin there people look at me like "DANG! BE CAREFUL" cuz its gang infested. I'm used to the gang environment cuz I been around it my whole life. But the gangs up North aren't as ruthless as down here. Knowing my background if any of these guys come up to me and ask me where I'm from, I would probably give them a smartass response, but i know that wouldn't be smart. I was raised rugged and sometimes feel invincible but thats probably not the reality.

I been reading on the history of gangs in L.A. and my mission in life is to work with at risk youth and single parents who's lives have been revolved in this lifestyle. I want to help them. So basically, I want to know what type of insight anyone can provide me about Boyle Heights and its history or personal experiences here. Thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM

77 posts, read 303,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lira View Post
I just moved out here recently from the Bay. I been comin out to L.A. for a year and a half and moved out here 5 months ago.
Cool, so you know what time it is down here.

Quote:
I lived in Glendale and now found a place in Boyle Heights. Everytime i mention I'm movin there people look at me like "DANG! BE CAREFUL" cuz its gang infested.
Boyle Heights does have issue's...but there are tons of good and hard working people there.

Quote:
I'm used to the gang environment cuz I been around it my whole life. But the gangs up North aren't as ruthless as down here.
Unless your in the pen. Norte is pretty ruthless in there.

Quote:
Knowing my background if any of these guys come up to me and ask me where I'm from, I would probably give them a smartass response, but i know that wouldn't be smart. I was raised rugged and sometimes feel invincible but thats probably not the reality.
No it wouldn't be smart especially with the Norte~Sur thing going on. No need for unnecessary violence.

Quote:
I been reading on the history of gangs in L.A. and my mission in life is to work with at risk youth and single parents who's lives have been revolved in this lifestyle. I want to help them.
You should work with Father Greg Doyle. He's doing great things in the Boyle Heights area. He's the founder of Homeboy Industries & The Homegirl Cafe. He is amazing.

Quote:
So basically, I want to know what type of insight anyone can provide me about Boyle Heights and its history or personal experiences here. Thank you for your feedback.
I don't know how much insight your gonna get on this forum on BH, but I would give Father Doyle's organization a call. They'll give you all the insight you want.
[HOMEBOY] industries

Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,682 times
Hummmmmmm, as mentioned, call Homeboy if you truly want to get involved and work towards turning young lives in the right direction.

Also, do you know the history of Boyle Heights? Back in the day Boyle Heights had a very large Jewish population. Hard to believe that much of it now looks like Tjuana (not saying anything is wrong with that), and you will find that one of the oldest cemeteries in Los Angeles is located in Boyle Heights where many Black families are buried (Evergreen Cemetary), and others of course.
When we were kids our grandmother would take us with her to the old Sears in Boyle Heights, and we looked forward to it. There is a lot of early Los Angeles history in Boyle Heights

Anyway, back on topic. There are hard working, honest great people in Boyle Heights, however just like every place else the gang/wrong doers are there in spades. There are also some nice properties if you want the feel of old Los Angeles, but please watch yourself in the streets when asked where you are from. Here in LA, folks have been gunned down when they did not give the right answer.

Good luck!

If you are seeking the more Hispanic communities right in LA you may find the Silver Lake, Echo Park areas interesting as well.They used to shoot a lot of old films in the Silverlake/Echo Park areas, and there is much history. Both of these communities have a mix of just about everyone.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
Pico-Union and the Byzantine Latino Quarter are similar neighborhoods that warrant a look if the milieu you seek is working class Hispanic Los Angeles.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
no, BH is not like it was before. it is coming up. the gang problem exists mostly in certain hoods and in the projects. i know of a young lady who volunteers with us. she is a white college student from a cristian university. they have to live with a family in an urban area as part of their studies. she lives in BH and takes the bus/train to work/volunteer. she has no problems with the area.

mind your business and you should be fine. make good neighbors and everything will be ok. there are some nice areas on the east side after all.

i think peopls percepetion is that of "mi vida loca", blood in blood out, american me, etc etc. it aint like that anymore.

crime and violence exists, but you should be fine. the area around the marichi plaza on 1st is coming up. nice restaurants, bar, shops, old rehabbed homes, a new train station. check it out.

dont be scared.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

75 posts, read 207,165 times
The gang problem in the bay area is pretty bad. I grew up in the Bay Area and we still visit all the time and it keeps getting worse and worse. IMO it is just as bad if not worse. I worked as a teacher in Watts right across the street from the projects, and the gangs didn't usually bother anyone but each other, unless you gave them a reason of course. That's not the case up North. If you can handle the gangs up North you can handle the gangs down here.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post! You guys have helped me out a lot! I'm definately going to check out Homeboy Industries! I really want to get involved! I was praying for that! God Bless!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks so much! I would love to find a book on the history of the area. I know in a certain way, I feel more welcome because it's a lot of Latinos here. I guess it's just because I'm by myself and didn't know what to expect. Thanks for tellin me a little about your story too. I will keep in touch. Muchas gracias LizzyNola

Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 82,880 times
BH is definately coming up. I wouldn't worry about it. You just have to mind your business and be tactful if some youngster tries to get fresh w/ you. But really, the area is changing and isn't like it has been depicted in the movies. Violence is actually down in LA.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,063 times
Lira... Are you still living here in Boyle heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles