Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:10 AM

23 posts, read 66,570 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I haven't posted on here in quite awhile but now our move to the LA area is right around the corner and I need your help.

Here's the deal, I will most likely end up working at a particular hotel in Hollywood as a Special Events Mgr. While I haven't been offered the job yet, it's really looking like I will get it. Since it's in the heart of Hollywood, I'm wondering what surrounding areas are safe enough to live in for a family with little ones? I've been to Hollywood a few times and saw a lot of grimy, gritty areas where I wouldn't feel comfortable coming home at night.

Husband plans to start job-hunting AFTER we've moved there and found a good school for our son who's going to kindergarten this year and a reliable daycare for our 9 month old so right now my job is the only consideration for the area we're going to live in.

And if there aren't any family-friendly Hollywood areas then what cities are nearby that won't take forever for me to get to work? We've been to Studio City & Burbank before and loved those areas but I'm not sure how far that is when it comes to LA traffic.

FYI, Our budget for rent for a 2-bdrm is $1500 and we're hoping to move in June when our lease is up here in Vegas.

I'm coming out there in 2 weeks to meet with the Special Events Director at the hotel and while there we plan to look for housing so any help/tips/suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Studio City and Burbank are both very doable as far as commute. Your rental budget is on the low side, but check out Craiglist to see if that's possible in those areas. Both are cheaper (it's all relative) than some of the other family-friendly areas near Hollywood.

What's your uppper limit for commute? That's fairly subjective, so your options will expand or contract depending on the answer.

Also, FYI, daycare - especially infant daycare - in LA is a major hassle. We were able to find a wonderful in-house daycare with a spot available; the more corporate, larger daycares all seem to have one to two (!) year waiting lists for babies. We preferred the small family setting better anyway, and it was cheaper, but those also take a bit longer to find.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 161,230 times
Burbank,Period.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,934 times
1500 is low for a 2 bedroom. You should be able to find something in Burbank though. If you are working in Hollywood, drive to the NoHo RedLine station, park, and take the train to Hollywood-Highland.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,523 times
I agree with KnoxTown, take the train if you plan on living in the valley. The 101 FWY morning commute is awful especially trying to exit on Highland Blvd. It's just not worth it....complete gridlock.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 55,608 times
So you got a job at either the Roosevelt or the Renaissance. Don't live in the valley. You CAN find a 2 bedroom for under 1200 in a nice place in West, East and Hollywood proper. I would know. I live in one. Just stay away from certain intersections and their immediate areas. Anywhere near Western, and anything south of Beverly Blvd.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Studio City and Burbank are both very doable as far as commute. Your rental budget is on the low side, but check out Craiglist to see if that's possible in those areas.
What's your uppper limit for commute? That's fairly subjective, so your options will expand or contract depending on the answer.
Also, FYI, daycare - especially infant daycare - in LA is a major hassle. We were able to find a wonderful in-house daycare with a spot available; the more corporate, larger daycares all seem to have one to two (!) year waiting lists for babies. We preferred the small family setting better anyway, and it was cheaper, but those also take a bit longer to find.
So far I've only found $1700 and up for places in Studio City so that's out of the running. As long as the commute from Burbank doesn't take over an hour I can live with it.
I would actually prefer an in-home daycare as well since that's what my 4 year old had for the longest time and it worked very well for us. But since I don't know anyone out there it may take awhile to find someone who's highly recommended with an opening.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
1500 is low for a 2 bedroom. You should be able to find something in Burbank though. If you are working in Hollywood, drive to the NoHo RedLine station, park, and take the train to Hollywood-Highland.
I hadn't even considered taking a train but if will save me gas money and more importantly, my time then absolutely! Thanks!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
So you got a job at either the Roosevelt or the Renaissance. Don't live in the valley. You CAN find a 2 bedroom for under 1200 in a nice place in West, East and Hollywood proper. I would know. I live in one. Just stay away from certain intersections and their immediate areas. Anywhere near Western, and anything south of Beverly Blvd.
Since I don't have an offer letter yet I won't say where it is but I am very, very excited about the opportunity and I'll be sure to stay clear of anything south of Beverly Blvd.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousB View Post
So far I've only found $1700 and up for places in Studio City so that's out of the running. As long as the commute from Burbank doesn't take over an hour I can live with it.
I would actually prefer an in-home daycare as well since that's what my 4 year old had for the longest time and it worked very well for us. But since I don't know anyone out there it may take awhile to find someone who's highly recommended with an opening.
If you want a family environment, move to Burbank. Depending where you live, it is a 5-10 min drive to the train station. Then its about a 10-15 train ride. It is very quick, safe, cheap, and reliable. You'll thank me later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles