Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 AM

636 posts, read 2,645,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I'm personally more comfortable with razing apartments and condos as the residents aren't as attached to them - Dallas ISD did that to build Conrad High School to serve the Vickery Meadow community
Speak for yourself. I'm attached to my condo and my condo community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:51 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
1. That's a good find. However I was looking for something within the Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Council area, though.

The boundaries are here: http://www.shermanoaksnc.org/images/soncmap.gif (broken link)

If there is something like that is not being used within this general boundary (red tagged from the quake, etc), it would be great.

The Van Nuys @ Vanowen would be a wonderful site for a reliever middle school in the area.

2. I'll just copy and paste from a PM: Houston is very similar to Los Angeles in terms of its layout and its development. I'm interested in urban planning and district boundaries of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You know, there is an old bank building that is just north of Vanowen on Van Nuys Blvd. that is available. It's still red tagged from the Northridge earthquake back in 1994. Why don't you try to figure out what is going on with that particular piece of property before you decide it's appropriate to raise properties that people are living in? It's a big huge office tower that no one has ever taken care of. Perhaps you could turn it into a school? It has(had) a big huge multilevel parking garage behind it too.

If you live in Texas, why does LA matter to you so much? What are your motives?

I've never seen anything that made me feel that Sherman Oaks was underserved in the education department. Most people there sent their kids to private school.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I spent a year teaching in one of the small schools in that complex. It's much more representative of NYC's current "small schools" philosophy. It has no outdoor athletic facilities, just two small gyms inside, a weight room on an upper floor, and a "playground" (so to speak) on the roof.
And in CA, that is unacceptable. Football is THE sport. Soccer is growing(and especially popular in hispanic dominated areas). Baseball and womens softball are still popular. And Lacrosse is a booming sport in the region.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And in CA, that is unacceptable. Football is THE sport. Soccer is growing(and especially popular in hispanic dominated areas). Baseball and womens softball are still popular. And Lacrosse is a booming sport in the region.
In other words, to adapt the NYC design to Socal we would have to add additional space for "outdoor" sports (Football, etc) in an area on the ground, right? I wonder how much additional space that would add.

BTW Bellaire High in Bellaire, TX, of Houston ISD, is relatively small in size for a neighborhood high school in Houston (3 stories). I think it has a baseball diamond area and that's it. It was built in the 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Speak for yourself. I'm attached to my condo and my condo community.
Well, I was referring to a trend regarding multi-family housing; it's moreso with apartments, though.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Could this design be used in Socal to build a school upwards?
This is actually kind of humorous. In a part of LA where numerous highrise buildings failed during the Northridge Earthquake, you propose to build a highrise school.

Yep! That's a really *not cool* idea. Why don't you make it 20 stories tall instead of ten?

You are from Texas. Why does all of this matter to you? You're an outsider trying to figure out what matters to insiders -- and personally, I don't think you are worth giving the time of day to unless you come clean on your motives.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 AM

So highrise buildings had problems in Northridge: Well, isn't there a way to design a highrise to withstand an earthquake? It's 2009. Northridge was in 1994. Surely someone figured out how to build buildings to avoid what happened in 1994.

Quote:
This is actually kind of humorous. In a part of LA where numerous highrise buildings failed during the Northridge Earthquake, you propose to build a highrise school.

Yep! That's a really *not cool* idea. Why don't you make it 20 stories tall instead of ten?

You are from Texas. Why does all of this matter to you? You're an outsider trying to figure out what matters to insiders -- and personally, I don't think you are worth giving the time of day to unless you come clean on your motives.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Vicman,

There are numerous properties available for development along Van Nuys Blvd. Why are you not trying to develop those?

The one I mentioned just north of Vanowen is just one. There are a lot of others if you head further north.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Vicman,

There are numerous properties available for development along Van Nuys Blvd. Why are you not trying to develop those?

The one I mentioned just north of Vanowen is just one. There are a lot of others if you head further north.
That's cool! Are there any south of Burbank? Or any that are close to Burbank but a bit north? If there's an abandoned property it's a good place to propose a new school.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 AM

I realized something:

1. The abandoned building in Van Nuys that UB50 mentioned could be razed and a new Van Nuys Middle School could be built there.
2. If Millikan Middle would not be overwhelmed by serving every area in the Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Council, we could simply have the existing Van Nuys Middle, located in Sherman Oaks, converted into a high school. Then Millikan would be the area middle school. The new Van Nuys MS would serve much of Van Nuys proper, while the rest would go to Fulton 6-8. If this idea would work, then there's no need to buy any property in Sherman Oaks.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-02-2009 at 07:02 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
While Grant High School certainly wasn't the best place for my kids (safety or education!), I'm not sure another high school in Sherman Oaks would have been any better, especially if it was still LAUSD. And although the rental market in general has softened considerably due to the recession, housing prices are still at a premium here in comparison to most other areas of the country.

I also have to wonder why this topic is of such interest and intense scrutiny to someone who is living in Texas. I don't care how similar L.A. is. It still strikes me as a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles