Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
Okay, but then how do you explain the very looong line of cars that passes south on I-5 from LA to S.D. every Friday night and snakes north back to LA every Sunday evening? If it's a no-brainer that LA's more exciting, why do Angelinos ritualistically flock like bats out of Hades to S.D. every weekend?

I don't blame them one bit, but then I'm biased
i do that same drive you mentioned a handful of times every year as my parents have a condo in downtown SD and i live in LA. it's really not as bad as you mentioned. if anything, traffic is worse going the opposite direction. i've been doing this drive for a few years, and it certainly used to be worse before gas almost hit $5/gallon, but it's not that bad anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i do that same drive you mentioned a handful of times every year as my parents have a condo in downtown SD and i live in LA. it's really not as bad as you mentioned. if anything, traffic is worse going the opposite direction. i've been doing this drive for a few years, and it certainly used to be worse before gas almost hit $5/gallon, but it's not that bad anymore.
I don't know. . . . I've been caught in pretty heavy traffic northbound on Sunday afternoon when going up to visit friends in North County. I've noticed that perhaps 75% of the vehicles have license plate frames with names of car dealers in places like Tarzana, Burbank, Alahambra, Encino, Huntington Beach, and other L.A. burbs. A lot of you guys do like it down here!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I don't know. . . . I've been caught in pretty heavy traffic northbound on Sunday afternoon when going up to visit friends in North County. I've noticed that perhaps 75% of the vehicles have license plate frames with names of car dealers in places like Tarzana, Burbank, Alahambra, Encino, Huntington Beach, and other L.A. burbs. A lot of you guys do like it down here!
There's better deals in LA. I know a lot of people who went up there to buy cars. I think you're exaggerating on that 75%. I've seen plates from Vegas, New Jersey, National City/Mile of Cars, Kearny Mesa etc. I even saw some from Alaska. 75% are not LA. People from all over the states move to SD by car, my ex husband did and he's from New Jersey.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 AM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
I have friends that have moved from SD to LA and vice-a-versa. Each person has their reasons, granted I think where they find a social clique for themselves plays one of the largest roles. For the avg. person I would say there isn't a HUGE difference in things to do day to day. Visually, SD is prettier overall and more lush.

There are different scenes to hang out in just like LA at night; the chiller coastal scene, electro scene in mid-city/downtown, upscale dowtown clubs and so on. I feel that when people say SD is boring they either haven't tried to experience it or don't know where to go. I utilize both cities for events so they both have their ups and downs in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
Depends on what kinds of things you like- SD is really outdoorsy- LA is more cosmopolitan

Also, I do think it depends somewhat on ethnic/cultural background. I think lots of American suburban white types enjoy San Diego because they like to go to the beach and go camping, baseball games, small town feel, etc.

Asians tend to not find much of what they want in SD. Not enough of their type of things: fashion, shopping, boba cafes, lots of good Chinese food, more Asian supermarkets, and just more Asians period. Of course there are some of that in SD, but not to the level that an Asian who is still rooted in their culture can feel completely at home.

As an Asian-American and post-NYC and post-LA resident, I think San Diego is boring alright.

If it is fun you are looking for, why not just move to LA? The move will be an adventure in itself and you can learn a lot from the experience.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 AM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
A century ago there was a decent size Little China in San Diego...but that was mysteriously burned away later into the 20th century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles