Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 24,945 times

Advertisements

Oh, and what do you think I would pay for a 1 bedroom in a desirable Apt complex? For example, the one I live in now has a lot of young people, and 1 bedrooms range from 850 to 1050. It is safe, gated, has a huge pool, gym, the clubhouse throws socials for their residents every Friday, and is within 5 minutes from downtown. It is by far not the most expensive place to live downtown, but it is say 75-80th percentile in overall desireability. So, knowing that. What do you guys think it would cost to live in the above-mentioned areas...and do those areas have that to offer to begin with...? Just to get a guage of the area.

Thanks again!

Last edited by matchrsim; 11-04-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
$1500+ depending on location and what kind of ammenities the building offers.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,707 times
I think you'd like Pasadena and you can find some decent deals if you don't need to live around old-town.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchrsim View Post
Oh, and what do you think I would pay for a 1 bedroom in a desirable Apt complex? For example, the one I live in now has a lot of young people, and 1 bedrooms range from 850 to 1050. It is safe, gated, has a huge pool, gym, the clubhouse throws socials for their residents every Friday, and is within 5 minutes from downtown. It is by far not the most expensive place to live downtown, but it is say 75-80th percentile in overall desireability. So, knowing that. What do you guys think it would cost to live in the above-mentioned areas...and do those areas have that to offer to begin with...? Just to get a guage of the area.

Thanks again!
Pasadena is going to be your best bet I think. Keep us posted.

Nita

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM

I will!

I am supposed to hear the verdict in a few weeks but in the meantime I will formulate a plan of action.

Thank you for all of your help.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Pasadena is nice.
But in any area come and see it at night as well as in the light. Many a neighborhood changes at night, often not well.
Depending on your work time you may see no traffic at all. A swing or graveyard shift can be a relief at times.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:26 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am 26 living in Greensboro, NC and my company wants me to move to LA. Shooting from the hip, I asked for 90K for the job as it is a big promotion, plus I need to move to a city that my friends tell me is easily 2.5 times expensive. But the cost of living calculators say it is only about 1.3 times as expensive. And then some tell me I don't need that much more at all...So I am confused.

The place I would work is located in Pacoima, near the Whiteman Airport. I wanted to live close, but is Van Nuys a good place? Is Burbank? how long would the commute be? How long would the commute be from downtown LA? I also would like to be near young professionals, girls and guys, where I would have a good chance of meeting young people along with a good mix of demographic. Should I live downtown? Is Van Nuys/Burbank/N. Hollywood safe? I imagine it would be spotty, but what areas are better than others.

Also, is 90K overkill? Would I be able to live nicely, party (not go overboard of course) and overall be able to save money if I made less? how much less. -Matt
First of all, congratulation on your pending job offer. LA is an exciting city and any young man should experience the exciting life style for once.

Having say that, I want to point out as others did, that Pacoima is equivalent to Hispanic version of Watts/Compton, a gang-ridden neighborhood. Basically you'll stand out as a target of opportunity if you do not look hispanic (either you're there to buy drugs or you're a potential victim).

Generally in the valley, you'd want to avoid to live East of 405 freeway. I think you can find some decent houses East of 210 freeway up in the hills, but as a single young man; you're better off to look elsewhere for a place to live.

Glendale/ Pasadena are good options for you. Pasadena has a vibrant younger generation because of schools and is relatively safe area, but can be expensive rent wise. Avoid South Pasadena.

In the valley, in general; you'd want to live south of Ventura Blvd. You can go from the Studio City to Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc. They are generally nicer neighborhoods.

If you like more of "downtown" feel, you can live in the Los Feliz or West Hollywood area closer to the hills. You can then take the 101 freeway up to 170 for work. It's against the morning commuting traffic so it should not be a problem. Beware that certain West Hollywood area have a large gay population. Personally I would not mind as they tend to have higher income and live in a upper scale neighborhood but just a FYI. It is a good location as its proximity to Hollywood (clubs), Beverly Hills & Westwood (UCLA), and Santa Monica (the beach).

In planning where you live, the key is to find location that is against the commuting traffic (though the 101 can be busy both ways).

Now the sticker shock, you'll likely find a 1 bed room for $1,200+/mo rent and, at some point if you want to buy your own place, $300K+ for a 2 bed room condo. Auto insurance will be much higher, plan at least $900/yr for basic minimum liability (single guy, not married).

But the good news is that you'll meet plenty of women, all kinds of women... some may not even be from earth... some may not even be women! (be careful there!). A friendly guy may not just being neighborly

But hey, you gotta experience this at least once ! Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 AM

HB2HSV,

Thank for the kind words and info. My friend told me Redondo Beach would be a great place to live, but I am worried about the commute. Realistically, he said that it could very well be the same commute time from Pasadena/Glendale to Whiteman Airport as it would be from Redondo, but I doubt that due to the distance...What do you think?

i don't plan on buying a place anytime soon, and I am making $1500 my ceiling for a 1 bedroom unless I can find a deal somewhere, or a hookup with living with one of my friends out there.

If I lived in Pasadena, would taking the 210 be "against traffic"? What about if I lived in Studio City/Encino and taking the 405 to the 118? What about taking I-5 from Glendale. I don't know how reliable Google Maps is lol. Also, are Glendale and Pasadena the same regarding night life and young people? What about Studio City/Encino?

That being said I am VERY excited about this opportunity!

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
HB2HSV,

Thank for the kind words and info. My friend told me Redondo Beach would be a great place to live, but I am worried about the commute. Realistically, he said that it could very well be the same commute time from Pasadena/Glendale to Whiteman Airport as it would be from Redondo, but I doubt that due to the distance...What do you think?

i don't plan on buying a place anytime soon, and I am making $1500 my ceiling for a 1 bedroom unless I can find a deal somewhere, or a hookup with living with one of my friends out there.

If I lived in Pasadena, would taking the 210 be "against traffic"? What about if I lived in Studio City/Encino and taking the 405 to the 118? What about taking I-5 from Glendale. I don't know how reliable Google Maps is lol. Also, are Glendale and Pasadena the same regarding night life and young people? What about Studio City/Encino?

Thanks again.
Ah, I think your friend is way off base, from Redondo Beach to Pacoima would be about twice the commute Pasadena to Pacoima would be. As for night life, Pasadena is going to offer more than Glendale. I am sure others can help you with the Studio City/Encino night life more than I can.

As for google maps or map quest, if nothing else they certainly can give you a fair idea of the time from point A to point B. I just map quested and it is just about twice as long..

Nita

PS, Redondo Beach would be a fun place to live, but the beach communities can also be pricey..

Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,308 times
Quote:
HB2HSV,

Thanks again.
Your friend doesn't know WTF he is talking about. Commuting from Redondo Beach to Pacoima? Same time as commuting from Glendale/Pasadena to Pacoima? Maybe at 2 am, if you were going 1.5 times as fast up the 405 as you would be on the 101 or 210 to the 5...

Southbay would be fun for the nightlife but trust me brother, you will hate that commute something fierce. It will be SOOOOO painful. The 405 would realistically be your only option unless you decided to take surface streets that can be equally as bad or worse up into the Valley, and not only that, depending on how far you are from the 405, it takes so damn long to get out of the South Bay and to the 405. The 405 N is almost perpetually backed up morning afternoon and night, starting usually anywhere from the 90/Marina Freeway to Century/LAX, and often particularly in the mornings all the way back well into the South Bay. It loses lanes/lanes merge at the Century onramp as well as at the 90 Freeway, and these bottlenecks really screw things up. And those are just the likely points where the (mostly) stop and (very little) go begins...and continues on past the 10 freeway (another chokepoint), through the pass, and into the Valley.

The 210 would generally be against traffic, and it can be pretty light from Pasadena through La Canada/La Crescenta and the rest of the foothill communities on the way up to Pacoima, barring any accidents, since it is a bit more out of the way as far as LA is concerned. I5 from Glendale North in the mornings can be pretty bad...lots of freight traffic and it bogs down.

Studio City/Encino up the 405 to the 118 can be bad at times. Morning, maybe not too bad, but GETTING to the 405 on the 101 will be bad, because so much traffic is heading across the Valley on the 101 and tons of traffic trying to get on the 405 S, which substantially hinders the 405 N transitions. I would think from Studio City at least, the Hollywood Freeway north would be a much better alternative. Encino...you will probably be **** out of luck and forced to either go north on surface streets then cut over to the 405 N once you pass the 101, or bite the bullet and get on the 101 to the 405 N.

Pasadena is MUCH better for nightlife than Glendale, unless you are Armenian.

Encino and Studio City are, "meh" for the nightlife, I mean most of what passes for the nightlife in those spots is concentrated on Ventura Blvd. If you want the real single nightlife you'd be better off hopping over the Hollywood Hills and hitting WeHo/the Sunset Strip/Hollywood etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles