Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:34 AM

30 posts, read 75,467 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved to the LA area (well, San Gabriel Valley) and I'm looking for some locals to tell me where I can find the "real" taco stands/shops with great quality. There's tons of chains here, but obviously, I want to find the real deal. Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
What do you mean by "real"?

If you are looking for authentic, try king taco, tacos Mexico, or just about any taco stand in a mostly Latino community. Double tortilla, meat, onion, cilantro, and hot sauce. Not much quality to be had.

Or are you looking for something else?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Where in the SGV do you live? There are so many taco places it's hard to start. Pasadena has tons of them. Burrito Express on Washington Blvd is good. El Taquito Mexicano now has places on both Fair Oaks Avenue and on north Lake Ave in Pasadena (it's a new location and I haven't been there yet, but the food at the original was good and "real"). Senor Fish in South Pasadena has good potato tacos.

And not technically SGV, but very clsoe, Highland Park (next to South Pasadena) is filled with lots of "real" options. You're also not that far from East LA. You should never have to eat at a chain if you don't want to; in addition to the permanent buildings you can usually pretty quickly find a taco truck, and some of those are pretty good, too.

In Hollywood we used to go to Dos Burritos on Hollywood Blvd all the time.

Check out Jonathan Gold's excellent book, "Counter Intelligence." He has lots of reviews of places in the SGV (and beyond). He also has a column in LA Weekly.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Unless you like bland ground beef tacos in pre-made hard taco shells (think: school cafeteria tacos) stay away from Henry's Tacos on Moorpark in NoHo.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Around 11AM during the week, look for a taco joint with a bunch of old, beat up, pickup trucks with lawn care equipment in the back.

If it is county rated "A", go somewhere else. Don't settle for anything higher than a "B".

That's where the good stuff is.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
I've always been partial to Rigo's Tacos in North Hollywood on Vanowen and Klump. I usually go here whenever I'm really drunk with friends and in the area. There's also a taco truck called 'Taco Zone' that's usually along Victory next to the Target between 7 PM- 5 AM that always filled me needs.

Since you are in the SGV, I would suggest King's Taco in East LA. You can't really shy away from the fact that its in East LA, but naturally, the best Mexican food would be there since the area is 99.8% Mexican (there aren't even any other Latin nationalities, JUST MEXICAN!)

Honestly, authentic Mexican tacos aren't really that hard to make. All you need to do is get a cut of steak or beef, and season it with salt and lemon/lime. Then you pan fry it until the juices evaporate and the meat is brown/nearly crisp. At that point, you just cut it up, put it in a taco, and serve it with some freshly cut onions, cilantro, and your favorite salsa (I make my own homemade with boiled tomatoes and jalapeno peppers).

Don't settle for the hard shell, ground beef stuff. It's not even that good.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I used to visit one near Sepulveda and Olympic, but cannot recall its name. This was like 25 years ago so it might not be there any more.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
Carnitas Michoacan @ 1901 North Broadway in Lincoln Heights, corner of North Broadway and Avenue 19. Open 24 hours and serves the best tacos. Use to be the Key Drive-In burger joint when I was in high school. You'll see cops, firemen and locals there at all hours.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Taco stands Los Angeles

Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
Carnitas Michoacan @ 1901 North Broadway in Lincoln Heights, corner of North Broadway and Avenue 19. Open 24 hours and serves the best tacos. Use to be the Key Drive-In burger joint when I was in high school. You'll see cops, firemen and locals there at all hours.
Ewwww... firemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles