Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 PM

73 posts, read 205,294 times

Advertisements

Listen, you guys don't understand - where I'm coming from is worse wOrse woRse WORSE! I just heard on the news about a week ago that where I'm from the unemployment rate has reached 25% (and 40% only working part time), and I believe it.

I appreciate everything that all of you have said, but let's look at this from the angle of "yea, it's nuts but she's tenacious and she's going . . ." So I'd love it if your comments reflected that. Like, tell me your tips and give me advice assuming that I aM going to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
I actually think it's a good time to plan (notice I did not say do it tomorrow,but plan for the future-the current situation won't last forever,even if it gets worse before it gets better.) a move to CA as an entrepreneur/innovator-ie,not necessarily the same old same open a restaurant,or chain franchise,but people who have some solid ideas for technology,industry,even tourism/eco tourism,etc.
with the dollar falling,and so many people wanting to visit the US in general and CA in particular,tourism will increase,IMO.

And,don't forget,much of the world is seeing an increase in their middle class and upper class populations-people with disposable money who wish to visit CA. [and many more students in school world-wide then ever in history-many will want to go to college abroad-CA will be a popular destination for the foreseeable future.]

My point: there are opportunities,but it will take creativity and an open mind to think outside of the box,even in the current 'known' industries. Don't look only within those paramers.
Blend industries and needs together.

I want to encourage posters who work for themselves,or who could work for themselves,to come to CA.
We are going to need this spirit here,once the exodus and downturn shift.
CA may not ever go back to being a 'be a good employee' place,if it really ever was one;in fact,the entire USA may not do that.
We need to re-emerge with a new attitude. I think CA can and will do this.
We can recognize that it's not the same anymore,for young people,etc. And then accept it,and move on.
But in a way,it may end up being better-more local control,more say over one's life and job,etc.
Otherwise,we can just throw in the towel and accept that we've become a nanny state/nation.

The inland areas aren't going to come back-they never really existed to begin with,except as housing markets. That 'experiment' wasn't viable.

Next.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM

I know that I don't have to be in LA to write. I know that perfectly well. I've just wanted to live in LA since the time I was a little girl, and now finally there is NOTHING holding me back (not to jinx myself). I'm done with high school, I'm done with college, I don't have a boyfriend, I'm not pregnant, I'm healthy at this point in my life (again, dear GOD I hope that I'm not jinxing myself), and my little sister is...not so little anymore. I really want to do this NOW. Because . . . I've been waiting so very very long. I've already lost some of my passion, and I don't want to stay here and loose it all.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well,someone mentioned getting an online writing job and you can then work from wherever you want. Including LA.

In my opinion,CA's saving grace will be if it goes back to it's roots of can-do spirit and people wanting to create their own dream-entrepreneurs,innovations and creativity,along with a sprinkling of laid back folks who want to surf.

CA has always brought the ideas to the table-it's an innovators market more than a 'be a good employee' market.
Irmsd, I like a lot of what you have said. Thank you so much.
I AM someone who is creative and who's always coming up with new ideas. I guess I just feel like I don't know how to market my ideas or actually put my visions into practice. -don't know much about starting a business, or how to make money off of a website. I lack a lot of practicle knowledge when it comes to these things.
Any advice there?

Also, doesn't starting anything require a lot of money up front?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
We moved because it was better to move for the sure thing (job transfer) then to risk staying and remaining unemployed.

I don't know if the OP thinks this,
Kay. Enough is enough. I gotta ask - what's an "OP"? And why am I one
lol

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Listen, you guys don't understand - where I'm coming from is worse wOrse woRse WORSE! I just heard on the news about a week ago that where I'm from the unemployment rate has reached 25% (and 40% only working part time), and I believe it.

I appreciate everything that all of you have said, but let's look at this from the angle of "yea, it's nuts but she's tenacious and she's going . . ." So I'd love it if your comments reflected that. Like, tell me your tips and give me advice assuming that I aM going to do this.
see my post about coming as an entrepreneur;think about working for yourself.
also,can you visit LA first?
What about San Diego? Will you consider it? it's slightly cheaper in some areas. Jobs not great,but I think you may have a better chance here than westside LA.
Either way,can you visit first? So you can see firsthand what people are saying?

You will find employment,somewhere.
People are just being realistic,because every day on this forum the same questoins are asked,and you asked for opinions and tips....what about teaching english abroad? i hear people save about 1000 or more a month there,after expenses. would put you in a good spot for moving to CA after a year.

Tips would be:
1)Save more money before coming
2)Work for yourself online
3)Go somewhere abroad to save money and teach english first
4)Come to visit LA first,to see first hand
5)Check out San Diego
6)Go to your library and borrow books on careers for people with your type of degree
7)Search online for jobs in these industries,and know what their salaries are,as well as how plentiful they are in L.A. or CA in general
8)Check Craigs List and other rental sites for housing costs and roommate options
9)Have a back up plan for employment-other areas you will look for a job in
10)Have a back up plan in general,in case LA doesn't work out for you,or you don't like it.
11)If you have contacts or networking at your current school,use them and pound the pavement-any professors or other students from CA? Any leads at all?

Edit: Now that I have read your other comments,many of the items in the list are not as relevant. So,search for temp agencies in LA,particularly in the areas you want to live. Have their address and maps printed out,in a folder. Just prep stuff from detroit,so you are ready to go when you land in LA. That is my only suggestion,besides craig's list and the library.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Irmsd, I like a lot of what you have said. Thank you so much.
I AM someone who is creative and who's always coming up with new ideas. I guess I just feel like I don't know how to market my ideas or actually put my visions into practice. -don't know much about starting a business, or how to make money off of a website. I lack a lot of practicle knowledge when it comes to these things.
Any advice there?

Also, doesn't starting anything require a lot of money up front?
Depends-some things cost alot up front,but working from home on the internet or your computer does not. And most people are willing to do anything for their dream,historically-read: work a day job,or a night job,or both,while they get their dream business or job or project off the ground and successful. You are at a perfect time in your life to do just that. But just think of it as step by step,not overnight,and you then do not need the loads of cash up front. (For smaller businesses/ventures. For larger ones,yes,you need investors,etc. but then you may meet those contacts and other like minded people while you are doing your day job,and planning for your vision to come to fruition.)

Although CA is not in great shape now,people who are realistic with expectations and know that anything worthwhile involves risk,patience and usually a failure or two,will be able to presevere and live where and how they wish to. You will have to do your homework,and it may take years until you figure out how to 'market yourself' and get your ideas out there successfully. Libraries,the internet-all great free resources. And small business assistance is offered in most cities-including LA,I am sure. Free seminars on marketing,networking,etc.
But,this is for down the road-realistically,you may be waiting tables or working at a super market initially. That's a strong possibility. Especially if you are still figuring out how you want to use your degree and skills.

Most people's mindsets are move to CA and get a job.
Comments on here are speaking to that-b/c so many are simply not understanding what a risk it is-it's a c*rap shoot as far as who gets lucky right now and who doesn't. That's a simple fact. People suggested other areas b/c they did not realize you had always dreamed of living in LA. That information changes things a little-meaning you have a passion and a drive,and you may be willing to forgo some comfort initially.

I am not saying don't do it,but I am saying I agree with posters here who say that 3k will not get you far in LA for long.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM

15 posts, read 30,616 times
Quote:
It's in creative writing and journalism. But I don't want to get a writing job initially because all jobs that involve writing are extremely time consuming (trust me)...they're 24/7 type jobs.
I think you should write at the online content mills such as Demand Studios. That is your best chance at being able to get the income you need to stay in LA due to high unemployment in SoCal. The work is not enjoyable but you can get $15+/hr, which should be enough of a survival wage. The best part is you can write for a month from Detroit to make sure it's do-able before you pull the trigger and move to LA. The online writing thing does stink and some good writers do struggle with it.

The strange thing is that 10 years ago, it was very hard for journalism and English majors to get a writing job so they would need to work at Starbucks. Today, even with the down economy, it's pretty easy to get an online writing gig even though the job market stinks.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Kay. Enough is enough. I gotta ask - what's an "OP"? And why am I one
lol
OP is 'original poster';it is common ettiquette in any internet forum,and you will not find it only here on City date forum. It's not an insult or anything.

People just need more info about yoru situation-so they can give the best suggestions.
There are alot of people on here who really want to be helpful,and who are long time CA residents. That's why they ask for details-b/c there are so many variables that change the suggestions.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM

To respond to what a few of you have said - YES, I have worked for several newspapers before (AND a magazine). I got paid per article. They paid VERY little (next to nothing), and were so incredibly time-consuming!!! I want to spend my time doing my own writing (like working on a novel . . . which will probably take me 2-3 yrs considering the way that I am), so I want a job that is not overly time-consuming.

And to Irmsd, I have visited LA before. I was there a year and a half ago, and I loved it.

...what is San Diego like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles