Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 02:06 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I also want to comment on the people saying that L.A is a friendly city. It was recently ranked the #2 least friendly city in the US. New York City was #1. I am a native and definitely agree that it isn't friendly. When I'm in a grocery store or wherever I rarely have people strike up a conversation with me. Everyone is in such a hurry. When I'm at the grocery store people try and cut in front of you when the light for a new line opens. When you're walking no one makes eye contact with you. If you accidentally look someone in the eye, people act like you just saw them naked. It's really strange. I just visited Nashville and it was like night and day compared to here. People were so nice and friendly. People wave to you in their cars. They hold open doors for you. It's so different. When I hold open doors for people here, most people don't even notice. Probably my #1 pet peeve. It's so rude!
Grown up in Florida, east coast small town, 4 hours north of Miami and having lived in SFV 1989-1996. I recently went back to L.A. first time since 1997 for 4 weeks at Oakwood temporary apartments in Marina del Rey, and I agree with this comment. I recall driving out to the Valley one day, and hit up Fashion Square Mall on Hazeltine (new name now).... anyway, took a seat upstairs as you enter food court, a small coffee cafe. 2 hours of smiling, making eye contact and a "hello" every 5 minutes I fainally got a response from 3 persian chicks, ugly/chubby, but at least they spoke back.

However, I still like SoCal. There's just gotta be A BETTE PLACE TO LIVE IN SOCAL OUTSIDE THE LA TUDE OR ATTITUDE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Overall, I find people to be pretty friendly in L.A. When I hold a door open for someone, they almost always say "thanks." It's all about karma - I let people in front of me when they are trying to pull out of a gas station because I want the same thing done for me. I find that what goes around, comes around usually. I've spent a lot of time in rural Florida and I would rather have people be a little reserved than all up in my face. If you want ultra-friendly, live in a small town. If you like when people mind their own business, live in L.A.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I also want to comment on the people saying that L.A is a friendly city. It was recently ranked the #2 least friendly city in the US. New York City was #1. I am a native and definitely agree that it isn't friendly. When I'm in a grocery store or wherever I rarely have people strike up a conversation with me. Everyone is in such a hurry. When I'm at the grocery store people try and cut in front of you when the light for a new line opens. When you're walking no one makes eye contact with you. If you accidentally look someone in the eye, people act like you just saw them naked. It's really strange. I just visited Nashville and it was like night and day compared to here. People were so nice and friendly. People wave to you in their cars. They hold open doors for you. It's so different. When I hold open doors for people here, most people don't even notice. Probably my #1 pet peeve. It's so rude!
I hate to admit it, but this seems true. I don't know why, as people are people but maybe it is the stress of traffic and the need to hurry and in that environment, people are affected - they don't want to spend that extra three minutes to interact. Bummer.

It also could be a result of one of LA's strengths: diversity. Maybe since LA is so diverse there is a tendency to feel less comfortable engaging with unlike people. In other less diverse places (like Huntsville where everyone is either white or black and nothing else), there's a bond that may create a better environment for that first interaction or recognition of commonality.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I am not going to read all eight pages, but as I person who lived in LA for 36 of 41 years (I finally escaped last October) I will say this: L.A. is NOT for the cold blooded people. If you do not like warm/hot weather you will be unhappy.

2) I do NOT have allergy/breathing/sinus problems and the air quality SUCKS! The only good days are immediately after the rain and two days later it's back to the nastiness of smog.

I agree with the rest of the OP. I left L.A. once and made the mistake of moving back. I left again this past October, and outside of visiting my family and friends who still live there, I will NEVER return.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I will NEVER return.
What was it MacArthur said?

(public domain photo)

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
If you like when people mind their own business, live in L.A.

I don't live in LA but I've visited a few times and plan on moving there in a few weeks. I am from the South, and yes, people are friendly here, but a little too friendly for my taste. I HATE small talk - a simple 'Have a nice day' is more than enough for me.

I do agree than NYC has got to be the most unfriendly city I've ever been to.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I am from the South, and yes, people are friendly here, but a little too friendly for my taste.
"So, What church do you go to?"

Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"So, What church do you go to?"
Exactly! I don't want to hear somebody else's life story every time I get gas or a haircut. Neither do I want to tell mine.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
R66, I would consider a move to Laguna Woods Village (OC), which is an over-55 with a wide range of prices for real estate, including many bargains for SoCal. That is really the only way I'd be able to afford to move back. I know it's not LA, but close enough for purposes of our conversation -- it's still that SoCal weather! Unfortunately, the average age is 78....but eventually I'll catch up!

Maybe areas around LA "proper" aren't friendly, and perhaps because I lived in OC and worked in Seal Beach, people were friendlier...? (more laid-back?) But even when I visited last year, some strangers at a table next to me invited me to sit with them because they saw me sitting by myself. That would not happen on the East Coast. Maybe it's all what you're used to.

And yes, maybe it's changed in 10 years. I definitely think the traffic and driving has gotten worse.

I guess, in summary, I felt like I didn't give it enough of a chance....I missed home and moved back after two years....I wasn't open-minded enough to embrace the change, rather than fight it.....and I sort of felt like a failure for not being able to "make it" in LA.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 PM

79 posts, read 211,466 times
Cantwait2leave
What La city u have been to? I mean when i lived there, and if i front any pedestrian on my way they would smile and move aside, or is i had to ask them a question about some crap they would politely e[plain all the stuff until I was overwhelmed with their nerdiness and interrupted them telling them thanx i appreciate but i got it, thank u. that are the people of Los Angeles always smiling and happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles