Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,424,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Here is the article you are looking for.

The world's greatest city? - Time Out Travel
Thank you. Different polls\ organizations may use criteria or biases that seem at odds with other standards. I suppose there are some valid reasons but any poll of international cities that leaves Los Angeles out seems more than questionable to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,658,691 times
What about Milwaukee? We have The Fonz Statue.

Fonz statue gets two thumbs up in Milwaukee - Television- msnbc.com

Aaaayyyyyy!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,423,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It took me a while to figure out your sarcasm!
My post was funny though wasn't it? we have all those things I mentioned here in the area and some list doesn't have us in the top 10? Amazing.

For those that are the products of the California School System I was joking in my first post. (I am also a product of the California School System but thought what I wrote was funny. Since I am only here to amuse myself, I can only hope that others found it as amusing as me.)LMAO

Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,860,508 times
Good lord people... Time Out publishes some random list and everyone acts like it's the gospel. This list exists solely to create attention so they can sell some new book. Take it for what it is, fluff, and move on with life. Want a list with LA in the top ten? Here you go:

Revealed: Cities that rule the world -- and those on the rise - CNN.com

TOP 10 CITIES
1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Los Angeles
6. Brussels
7. Singapore
8. Berlin
9. Beijing
10. Toronto

Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,673,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Because SMOG, GANGBANGING,EXPENSIVE COST OF LIVING AND HORRIFIC TRAFFIC!!!!
As if NYC, London, Paris, and particularly Chicago don't have gangbanging

As if ALL of the cities mentioned don't have horrible traffic...

As if ALL of the cities mentioned don't have an expensive cost of living with the possible exception of Istanbul. Yes, Sydney is more expensive than L.A. now (mainly due to Australia avoiding the Great Recession)

Those cities DO have better public transportation systems than L.A. does. L.A. sat on its ass for far too long about this. L.A., in large part due to its transportation system, is percieved by the rest of the world as hostile and dehumanizing, even compared to cities that are more violent like Chicago or San Francisco.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM

142 posts, read 442,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Because SMOG, GANGBANGING,EXPENSIVE COST OF LIVING AND HORRIFIC TRAFFIC!!!!

1. Smog....air quality in LA has IMPROVED over the last 20 or 30 years.

2. Gangbanging: LA's crime rate has DROPPED signficantly over the past 15 to 20 years. One of the SAFEST big cities in the nation.

3. Traffic: About to get better. See mayor's 30/10 plan. Also, LA's traffic is no worse than NYC's which made the TOP 10.

4. Cost of Living is VERY high in many "world class" cities. People are willing to pay for it. St. Louis and Detroit are dirt cheap for a reason.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM

The OP, smallvillejane, is from Chicago. Does that say anything? Recent comments about Los Angeles from several Chicago posters have included that "Topanga Canyon is an unremarkable suburb of LA" . . . "Los Angeles is not noted for food" [whatever that means ] and gems like "California wines rate near the bottom of the list of good wines."

The OP's intent may be innocent but I find it a bit provocative. How many Angelenos or Californians even bother to read the Chicago forum or would even post a negative opinion about Chicago on the Chicago forum?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,673,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
1. Smog....air quality in LA has IMPROVED over the last 20 or 30 years.

2. Gangbanging: LA's crime rate has DROPPED signficantly over the past 15 to 20 years. One of the SAFEST big cities in the nation.

3. Traffic: About to get better. See mayor's 30/10 plan. Also, LA's traffic is no worse than NYC's which made the TOP 10.
Not to mention Rome's traffic.

Quote:
4. Cost of Living is VERY high in many "world class" cities. People are willing to pay for it. St. Louis and Detroit are dirt cheap for a reason.
What makes L.A. and Sydney different from the rest of those other cities is that both were cheap cities at one time within the memory of many of their residents and are now expensive cities.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM

142 posts, read 442,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The OP, smallvillejane, is from Chicago. Does that say anything? Recent comments about Los Angeles from several Chicago posters have included that "Topanga Canyon is an unremarkable suburb of LA" . . . "Los Angeles is not noted for food" [whatever that means ] and gems like "California wines rate near the bottom of the list of good wines."

The OP's intent may be innocent but I find it a bit provocative. How many Angelenos or Californians even bother to read the Chicago forum or would even post a negative opinion about Chicago on the Chicago forum?
Excellent point!!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Excellent point!!
It is a regular hate fest of LA on several forums [most notably "City vs City" "General U.S." & the politics forum]. I really wouldn't mind if at least the comments were based in reality. But the more outrageous the put downs often prevail from people who live in other states smaller\ less interesting\ bland compared to California. Outright lies are not beneath them. I even joked about Chicago pizza & the vicious responses were hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles