Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM

111 posts, read 156,602 times

Advertisements

No San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,412,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Listen guys, the only reason these threads become a city vs. city affair is because Angelenos get so defensive about even the slightest criticism of LA, and instead of using this criticism to make LA better you guys get defensive, it's lke "LA not a great city? **** you Chicago! **** you New York! We got better weather here!". Listen, this was not meant as a put down, just a plea to listen to criticisms and use that criticism in a constructive way because, it takes more than great weather and a subway system to hang with the big boys like New York, Paris and yes, Chicago.
And what "constructive criticism" should we listen to from someone from northern Virginia? Why do you even care what happens in California? Do you think we care about all the problems you are dealing with in Virginia [like a governor who panders to Confederate racists]? Maybe it would be better if you focus on Virginia before providing "constructive criticism" to Los Angeles!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,985,079 times
I have been to Chicago three times and loved it. Of course, I didn't go to the Southside so my experience was great. Chicago is a great city and IMO, has alot more culture than LA. LA is so hit or miss and you have to be a local to know where to miss or you'll hate it.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM

305 posts, read 772,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Also, NY, London and Chicago are more diverse than Los Angeles.
I'm surprised at you, majoun! I always enjoy your posts, but... that's an incorrect statement. L.A. is actually on par with NYC and London as far as diversity. There's more ethnic enclaves in L.A. than anywhere else in the country, and about 224 different languages are spoken here. There was also a thread a while back in CvC that had a listing of different metro areas and their diversity, it was concluded that L.A.'s metro was more diverse than NYC's and Chicago's, only beaten out by San Francisco and Houston. USC alone has more international students than any other university in the U.S., so to say that L.A. isn't as diverse as NYC and Chicago (when it is quite the opposite) is a misnomer.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I have been to Chicago three times and loved it. Of course, I didn't go to the Southside so my experience was great. Chicago is a great city and IMO, has alot more culture than LA. LA is so hit or miss and you have to be a local to know where to miss or you'll hate it.
This guy...

Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
And what "constructive criticism" should we listen to from someone from northern Virginia? Why do you even care what happens in California? Do you think we care about all the problems you are dealing with in Virginia [like a governor who panders to Confederate racists]? Maybe it would be better if you focus on Virginia before providing "constructive criticism" to Los Angeles!
And your acting as though Los Angeles is more superior than any city or state. I know many Angelenos that go onto other forums and disrupt positive theads. You think Los Angeles is a perfect city I bet, and everyone has to love it. Well it's not and the quality of life is getting worse( I would know because I visit LA atleast twice every year) because of all the people who defend it so much that they spew rude comments about other cities. And you wonder why people criticize LA. Maybe you should shut up and listen because the more you try to defend it the more people will see that LA definetly does not deserve to be in the top 10 greatest cities list. And the more people who comment about how stupid I am for posting this, the more the truth proves its point.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The OP, smallvillejane, is from Chicago. Does that say anything? Recent comments about Los Angeles from several Chicago posters have included that "Topanga Canyon is an unremarkable suburb of LA" . . . "Los Angeles is not noted for food" [whatever that means ] and gems like "California wines rate near the bottom of the list of good wines."

The OP's intent may be innocent but I find it a bit provocative. How many Angelenos or Californians even bother to read the Chicago forum or would even post a negative opinion about Chicago on the Chicago forum?
This. Half of the people here criticizing aren't even from here.

As far as the topic, you got polls, then you got the people behind them and then you've got the ******** that come with those people. Is anybody familiar with the phrase "opinions and *******"? Well, there you go.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,787,835 times
Who cares if its not on the list? Should we think any less or more of cities that are/arent?

Every list that cannot be quantified by a statistical or scientific number is subjective.

For example, if I was making a top 10 list, I wouldnt put New York on it simply because I dont like the place. I would put Hong Kong, LA, Sydney, Chicago, Paris, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, Shanghai, Toronto, and San Francisco on it in that order because those are my favorite cities. But there's no scientific method to it. So if I ever published it, I wouldnt expect anyone to take it serious.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,412,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
And your acting as though Los Angeles is more superior than any city or state. I know many Angelenos that go onto other forums and disrupt positive theads. You think Los Angeles is a perfect city I bet, and everyone has to love it. Well it's not and the quality of life is getting worse( I would know because I visit LA atleast twice every year) because of all the people who defend it so much that they spew rude comments about other cities. And you wonder why people criticize LA. Maybe you should shut up and listen because the more you try to defend it the more people will see that LA definetly does not deserve to be in the top 10 greatest cities list. And the more people who comment about how stupid I am for posting this, the more the truth proves its point.
Isn't it just amazing how comments on C-D can actually ruin a city? I guess the mayor of LA should consult C-D first and especially read closely the posts from people who live in Illinois or Arizona since they know so much about Los Angeles.

Hey, my friend, having visited Phoenix a few times, I think it might really help if you pay more attention to your own state. BTW, how many Californians post on the Arizona forum? How many even care?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
When did I bring up LA county? This list has to do with cities not counties. That is completely unrelated and off topic. My point is, LA covers alot more miles than the vast majority of most cities across the world. There are a ton of "cities" which people consider cities but they incorporated areas of LA. For example, Venice, Bell, and Sherman Oaks. LA spans nearly 500 square miles. NYC is only around 400 square miles. I'm sure 90% of large cities don't even get close to 500 square miles especially in Europe. I just put Bell to Sherman Oaks on Mapquest, its about 24 miles. LA has by far the most segments of one city. The only other city I can think of is NYC.
- Venice is a part of L.A. city proper.

- L.A.'s square mileage is actually comparable to Moscow, Prague and even NYC. London has over 700 square miles, so L.A. is meager in this regard. Mexico City has close to 600, and when you consider Tokyo's 800 sq. miles you simply cannot throw L.A. in that category.

At least fact check before you trash talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles