Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 14,329 times

Advertisements

I've want to move somewhere in Southern California / LA for a year - i'm just not sure which place is best.

About me:
  • 23 year old male
  • Born and raised in NYC
  • Single
  • Self employed / I don't need to commute to work

What i'm looking for in a neighborhood,
  • Around others in their 20s
  • Within 30 minutes of UCLA (plan to re-apply for next year)
  • Hobbies to pursue like golf, tai chi, poker, yoga, indoor basketball, portguese classes, etc..

So far i've considered West Hollywood, Westwood & Santa Monica. Anything more specific about these neighborhoods? (e.g. Where in WeHo should I live?) Are there any other neighborhoods that would be fitting for me?

Any information you can provide helps

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
Only live in West Hollywood if you're gay OR if you are straight, you are interested in the Hollywood club scene.

Seems your interests are more "chill" and "intellectual" than wild parties and the "industry" which is another reason I'd advise against West Hollywood

Santa Monica or Brentwood would be a perfect fit if you can afford those areas. Very close to UCLA. Very laid back, beautiful, great for your hobbies and interests. Plenty of nightlife too and young professionals around your age.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Santa Monica has become increasingly older. Mostly late 20s early 30s, though some mid 20s still.

Echo what the other poster said about WeHo. That isn't all of WeHo, just a huge portion of it. A lot of former NYCers live there though, particularly women trying to break into Hollywood or working in the ancillary industries like public relations.

Brentwood has a lot of UCLA students, as does Westwood obviously. Westwood also is really wealthy, with massive highrises lining Wilshire that the really wealthy reside in, so it's an odd mix of them and students.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Seems your interests are more "chill" and "intellectual" than wild parties and the "industry" which is another reason I'd advise against West Hollywood

Santa Monica or Brentwood would be a perfect fit if you can afford those areas. Very close to UCLA. Very laid back, beautiful, great for your hobbies and interests. Plenty of nightlife too and young professionals around your age.

This makes a lot of sense, and you're right about the chill and intellectual part vs. party scene and industry. Please see question below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Santa Monica has become increasingly older. Mostly late 20s early 30s, though some mid 20s still.

Echo what the other poster said about WeHo. That isn't all of WeHo, just a huge portion of it. A lot of former NYCers live there though, particularly women trying to break into Hollywood or working in the ancillary industries like public relations.

Brentwood has a lot of UCLA students, as does Westwood obviously. Westwood also is really wealthy, with massive highrises lining Wilshire that the really wealthy reside in, so it's an odd mix of them and students.
OK so your reaffirmation definitely makes me feel like West Hollywood is NOT for me.

And so you say Santa Monica is a bit on the older side. That would still be OK, but I guess not optimal.

I like the beach, but according to Google Maps, Brentwood is not far at all from Santa Monica pier - and ith my work schedule I could go during weekdays when it's less hectic.

So from both of your guys input...

It seems Brentwood or Westwood would be ideal. An important question here:

What are the pros and cons when comparing Westwood and Brentwood?

e.g.
Driving / Parking / Congestion
Hangout spots / areas to walk

Thanks again! Crazy how one forum thread will change the path of my life for the next year...

Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
I wouldn't discount Santa Monica based solely on that because it is an amazing place to be. Of SM, Brentwood, and Westwood, Santa Monica is the most walkable to neighborhood amenities like shopping, restaurants, and nightlife.

Westwod is also pretty walkable especially around UCLA. Brentwood is probably the least walkable but it is walkable, you just don't see as many people out and about on foot or on bikes.

The Westside area has terrible traffic, particularly around the 405 Freeway. Westwood is obviously the best commute wise, though Brentwood won't be bad. Wilshire does get a little bit backed up though. Westwood has the busiest intersection in America for vehicles; Wilshire and Westwood Blvd.

The easiest parking wise is Brentwood because it isn't as densely populated residentially or commercially.

Another good option is West LA. Stuff isn't as walkable, but it can be. It is close to the beach and Santa Monica, but also close to UCLA.

The traffic can be brutal at certain times just in that little area between Westwood and Santa Monica, especially on Wilshire.

Santa Monica has the best nightlife hands down. West LA isn't bad either. Brentwood and Westwood have some stuff, particularly on Wilshire.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fut87 View Post
This makes a lot of sense, and you're right about the chill and intellectual part vs. party scene and industry. Please see question below.

OK so your reaffirmation definitely makes me feel like West Hollywood is NOT for me.

And so you say Santa Monica is a bit on the older side. That would still be OK, but I guess not optimal.

I like the beach, but according to Google Maps, Brentwood is not far at all from Santa Monica pier - and ith my work schedule I could go during weekdays when it's less hectic.

So from both of your guys input...

It seems Brentwood or Westwood would be ideal. An important question here:

What are the pros and cons when comparing Westwood and Brentwood?

e.g.
Driving / Parking / Congestion
Hangout spots / areas to walk

Thanks again! Crazy how one forum thread will change the path of my life for the next year...
Yeah don't entirely give up on Santa Monica. But your budget for rent is an important consideration too. Generally, Santa Monica will have the highest rent out of the 3 areas (though Santa Monica, Westwood, and Brentwood may very well be the 3 most expensive areas to rent in!)

I don't know where you'd live in Westwood but I always felt rent was too high there because of UCLA. Westwood Village is where UCLA students generally live so you'll have a lot of young people but the apartments are in bad shape and are major rip offs. The businesses in the Village are okay - there's four bars now (there were only 2 as recently as 09), all laid back vibe, and lots of restaurants and movie theaters and clothing stores. Traffic is absolutely terrible in Westwood because of its proximity to the 405 and UCLA, the intersection of Wilshire and Westwood is the busiest in all of LA.

Brentwood is also high rent but you have nicer, quieter buildings and you get more bang for your buck. The business district is on San Vicente (just about a mile or two from Westwood) and has mainly upscale eateries, not much else. It's less walkable than Santa Monica or Westwood. There are bars on Wilshire Blvd in the border between West LA and Brentwood.

So I guess I rambled and there's no clear answer here. Consider Santa Monica again, but if it's between Westwood and Brentwood, I'll say Westwood is busier, grittier, and younger, while Brentwood has a more laid back, quiet scene (and it's closer to the beach).

Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 AM

Well guys - it makes sense not to totally discount Santa Monica. I'm ok with spending some more on rent money.

So I am a bit torn, but leaning towards Santa Monica.

I remember now driving through Westwood and the traffic being horrendous.

So my idea is to find an extended stay place around Santa Monica, then check each neighborhood for rentals (but probably be lazy and focus mainly on SA)

Any further tips when I get there or what to check to make my decision / moving process more valuable, please let me know!

Thanks again.
G

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
You should also look at Pasadena and Long Beach if you don't mind being a little far from UCLA (i think Pasadena's within 30 min of UCLA without traffic.)

Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Don't rule Venice out either, despite some recent discussions of homeless problems there and other related problems on this board. Said problems in Venice are confined to very specific areas and a large part of Venice is just fine. Venice would fit your demographic more than the other areas mentioned. You'll find PLENTY of New Yorkers there (more New Yorkers than native Californians) and it has the feeling of the East Village or Williamsburg but with warmer weather.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You should also look at Pasadena and Long Beach if you don't mind being a little far from UCLA (i think Pasadena's within 30 min of UCLA without traffic.)
Why in the world? There's always gonna be traffic, and it may be 30 minutes if you're speeding and using a ton of gasoline. Those areas don't fit his other requirements either (Maybe Long Beach somewhat, but it's extremely far)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles