Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Where you start seeing sugarcane fields like around Bunkie and Cheneyville is kind of like the entrance into Cajun country.
Absolutely. And coming south on I-49, just past the Turkey Creek/US 167 exit, you start seeing palmettos, which signifies swampy land. That is also a sign that you're in south La.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

154 posts, read 533,903 times
With the New York compairson being made. Does that mean NO residents are in a way, rude. I don't mean that in a bad way, but living in Northern Kentucky (near Cincinnati) I find that the further south I go, I run into much nicer people.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
With the New York compairson being made. Does that mean NO residents are in a way, rude. I don't mean that in a bad way, but living in Northern Kentucky (near Cincinnati) I find that the further south I go, I run into much nicer people.
No, they're fairly laid back. And into partying.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM

191 posts, read 698,101 times
Quote:

I live just outside of NYC in northern NJ and have been here all my life except for college in upstate NY and worked in NYC for many years. I can make NO comparison between the cultures/people or accents of NY and New Orleans - they are each their own species and completely individual. From my experiences, NYC people are busy doing their own thing, they don’t have time to get to know you or care to for the most part, doesn’t mean they’re not friendly or rude, just not on their agenda – I did manage to strike up a conversation with a very friendly woman sitting next to my BF and I at a NYC bar this past summer, it turned out that she was originally from Metairie. Outside of NYC in smaller towns further out and upstate, the people are much nicer but I wouldn't call them friendly, it seems that people around here tend to keep to themselves more – if someone is being ‘too’ friendly, the natural reaction is to think that they’re weird or want something. New Orleans, in my experience is much more open, people are very friendly and genuinely interested in conversing with others - laidback is definitely the best description. Naturally there will always be people with attitudes wherever you go, I did find people in Baton Rouge to be even more friendly than those in New Orleans though.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Yeah and thats why I was saying I don't mean that in a bad way, its just not what I am accustomed to being in. I feel comfortable in a southern environment. Though Cincinnati by far has the most rude people of the places I have been. I have read NJ was worse, but never been there. From whats you guys have said, it seems okay. I dont need a friendly town, I just don't want a rude town, if that makes since?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 83,911 times
Totally different. The problem up north is that it is in the "bible belt". Some extremetists is you ask me. I love southern Louisiana. I lived up north in what my husband and I call the "twilight zone", and I will never move up there again. I love Lafayette, NO, even the people here in Leesville are better than say Winnfield.

Now, really far up like Shreveport, Ruston, Monroe are fine. I actually received my MS from LA Tech and the people were okay. Most of the people I became friends with were from out of state. It is really the small towns that can be scary. Overall, the cities are fine.

In Monroe, you should be fine. However, small northern Louisiana towns are like no other. I have lived everywhere, even in Europe, and it was the only place to make me miserable.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 83,911 times
"With the New York compairson being made. Does that mean NO residents are in a way, rude. I don't mean that in a bad way, but living in Northern Kentucky (near Cincinnati) I find that the further south I go, I run into much nicer people."

No, they are rude. Some of the rudiest people I have ever met have been from Northern LA. They are very judgemental and very selfish. Ex- don't get pregnant and not have a wedding ring! You better attend church. As I was told before "Baptists know the Bible better than any other denomination" "Mardi Gras is evil" "X-mas trees should be banned for being Pagan" "Dr. Suess and HArry Potter are not allowed in houses" "Halloween is evil" it is actually not celebrated by a few people that I have known. My favorite- I had a parent tell me her daughter was not learning Greek mythology because they are Christians, ha! I had one student who's parents did not want her to learn about the Big Bang because science causes doubt! CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY! That is all I can say! My husband went to the barber and was told to bring Christ into his life and his child's life when he saw me pregnant without a wedding ring. He then gave my husband a bible! RUDE! A door was burned down in Winnfield for having what looked like the devil marked into it (I am being serious, this happened when I lived there). CRAZY! Have you seen trading spouses or wife swap? One of them had the crazy lady from LA, and let me tell you...they are here.

As for selfish- in Alex or Leesville I will try to cross the street (as in leaving a store and going to my parking space) with my two children in a double stroller and I have to make sure no one is coming. This happens everytime. I have NEVER experienced this anywhere before. Alex is the worst. Drivers feel they have the right-of-way and they do NOT care if you have children. VERY RUDE! Additionally, horrible drivers around here. It is like everyone grows up in the sticks and then the go into the city and have no idea what they are doing.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Great opinions in Monroe, what about Hammond. Be honest as you have been. Guys this means a lot thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Great opinions in Monroe, what about Hammond. Be honest as you have been. Guys this means a lot thanks!
Hammond is a town in transition. Its location at the junction of I-12 and I-55 has made it attractive to some employers, and Southeastern has been expanding. And, being between BR and NO, it has received suburban growth from both ends. I have heard, though, that some of the post Katrina migration has caused problems. But there are neighboring towns where you can live and do OK, but keep in mind you're dealing with rural areas for good and for ill.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSUInstructor View Post
"With the New York compairson being made. Does that mean NO residents are in a way, rude. I don't mean that in a bad way, but living in Northern Kentucky (near Cincinnati) I find that the further south I go, I run into much nicer people."

No, they are rude. Some of the rudiest people I have ever met have been from Northern LA. They are very judgemental and very selfish. Ex- don't get pregnant and not have a wedding ring! You better attend church. As I was told before "Baptists know the Bible better than any other denomination" "Mardi Gras is evil" "X-mas trees should be banned for being Pagan" "Dr. Suess and HArry Potter are not allowed in houses" "Halloween is evil" it is actually not celebrated by a few people that I have known. My favorite- I had a parent tell me her daughter was not learning Greek mythology because they are Christians, ha! I had one student who's parents did not want her to learn about the Big Bang because science causes doubt! CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY! That is all I can say! My husband went to the barber and was told to bring Christ into his life and his child's life when he saw me pregnant without a wedding ring. He then gave my husband a bible! RUDE! A door was burned down in Winnfield for having what looked like the devil marked into it (I am being serious, this happened when I lived there). CRAZY! Have you seen trading spouses or wife swap? One of them had the crazy lady from LA, and let me tell you...they are here.

As for selfish- in Alex or Leesville I will try to cross the street (as in leaving a store and going to my parking space) with my two children in a double stroller and I have to make sure no one is coming. This happens everytime. I have NEVER experienced this anywhere before. Alex is the worst. Drivers feel they have the right-of-way and they do NOT care if you have children. VERY RUDE! Additionally, horrible drivers around here. It is like everyone grows up in the sticks and then the go into the city and have no idea what they are doing.

What?? I live in north Louisiana, 3 miles from Arkansas. I totally disagree with this entire post. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion so I'm not going to get defensive. Why? Because I'm not rude!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana