Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I'm very familiar with both of these cities as I lived in both of them. Monroe used to be very nice. But over the years it started going downhill and trashy. The best of the best moved to West Monroe. There are many areas in Monroe that I wouldn't drive thru by myself. Day or night. My family has been in Law enforcement many years in the Monroe area and can tell some pretty horrible stories.
OK, so you went to the southside one time. I'm not scared to drive ANYWHERE. Monroe has some of the best projects in the state anyway, its really sissy stuff compared to most cities in the state. Yes, crime happens in Monroe and everywhere else. Monroe has great areas.... You act like Grand Theift Auto and mugging happens on every corner like in bad areas of major metros.. Get real.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
NO city is as nice as some of the suburbs near large midwestern cities. Look at a town like Wheaton, Illinois or Naperville to see what Im referring to. I cant think of a singe city in Louisiana that even approaches that level.
Why would I want to live in a suburb of a large Midwestern city? Sounds like hell. I got great hunting and fishing, food, lake living, large acreage lots, friends and fun, and short drives to the coast!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
OK, so you went to the southside one time. I'm not scared to drive ANYWHERE. Monroe has some of the best projects in the state anyway, its really sissy stuff compared to most cities in the state. Yes, crime happens in Monroe and everywhere else. Monroe has great areas.... You act like Grand Theift Auto and mugging happens on every corner like in bad areas of major metros.. Get real.
I wouldn't say I went thru southside one time. I went thru it thousands of times. Just not alone. Like I said in my post; I lived there. I know all about Monroe. Yes; crime is everywhere. Not just in Monroe. I didn't say that it was the only place to have crime. The point I was making since I lived in Monroe and Alexandria is that I feel Alexandria is better. To me it was cleaner and also has more to do. I'm not saying that Alex doesn't have crime either because it does. But I would take Alexandria over Monroe in a heartbeat. As far as getting real.....I think since I lived for many years in both of these cities gives me the right to express my point on this subject. And for the record; I never said anything to suggest that I thought it was like Grand Theft Auto or anything. By the way; this game was way after my time. My boys played it when they were kids. hmmm

Last edited by BlueyedCat; 04-04-2009 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times
Quote:
Why would I want to live in a suburb of a large Midwestern city? Sounds like hell. I got great hunting and fishing, food, lake living, large acreage lots, friends and fun, and short drives to the coast!
the midwest has its own charms Im sure. but my point is, they have solid infrastructures, very clean streets and excellent architectures and history. I love it down here, dont get me wrong. but even the richest parts of Louisiana pale in comparison to some of those suburbs. It is simply a higher standard of living and thats backed up by facts. So All Im saying is that while we are all arguing about small Louisiana cities, we are missing the bigger picture. ALL Louisiana cities could use alot of improvement.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
the midwest has its own charms Im sure. but my point is, they have solid infrastructures, very clean streets and excellent architectures and history. I love it down here, dont get me wrong. but even the richest parts of Louisiana pale in comparison to some of those suburbs. It is simply a higher standard of living and thats backed up by facts. So All Im saying is that while we are all arguing about small Louisiana cities, we are missing the bigger picture. ALL Louisiana cities could use alot of improvement.
I notice very clean streets, new roads, and BETTER architecture and history here (for real). I guess you'd like the suburban hell of these places? I guess you're talking about cookie cutter homes with no personality on newly paved roads?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I notice very clean streets, new roads, and BETTER architecture and history here (for real). I guess you'd like the suburban hell of these places? I guess you're talking about cookie cutter homes with no personality on newly paved roads?
no, Im talking about the design of the downtown areas, the relative cleanliness, and yes, even the character of the buildings. Its osmething Ive not seen in Louisiana anywhere. Havent been to Monroe, but Ive seen how towns in that area look and its definitely not similar. Even the upscale neighborhoods in Baton Rouge or New Orleans are not that nice. there is simply no place in Louisiana that is that clean and neat. Its just the truth.
Here is a link to a picture thread to show you what Im talking about:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6k-beware.html

What youll notice, is how the communities are designed like COMMUNITIES. they arent just cities tied together by roads. You can wander all over towns on the sidewalks and there are very clean public facilities and all of the stores and things have this very colonial appearance. Its all very charming to be honest. Even the older areas that arent slums are designed this way. I can definitely see how that would seem like a great place to raise a family. Im not saying these places are perfect, but youre kidding yourself if you think there are places in Louisiana that are this well designed or clean. It just isnt the way Louisiana does things, and because of how poorly funded this state is, it probably wont ever look like that. Its not just a suburb, it feels like a miniature version of a large city. small towns here just do not have the same ambience. Even the newish suburbs.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Im not saying these places are perfect, but youre kidding yourself if you think there are places in Louisiana that are this well designed or clean.
Get out. Look at Garden District NOLA/BTR/Monroe. Look at old BTR neighborhoods. Look at multiple new subdivisions. I'm going through this picture thread and see nothing particularly impressive?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM

OK, fine, those pics blow out Monroe out of the water. Still doesn't mean Monroe isn't a great city-- you just can't expect that kind of developement to happen here.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Get out. Look at Garden District NOLA/BTR/Monroe. Look at old BTR neighborhoods. Look at multiple new subdivisions. I'm going through this picture thread and see nothing particularly impressive?
Ive seen them. they arent even close.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,981 times
One thing that gives Alexandria an advantage is how closely intergrated Pineville and Alex are. They share one school system, a public transit authority operating on both sides of the river and a common chamber of commerce. The Port of Alexandria and Alexandria International Airport are operated by community organizations made up of boards representing not only the city but surrounding towns and the parish.

There is none of the animosity between opposite sides of the river that you find in Monroe and West Monroe. Judging from the newspaper there and what people say, neither side wants anything to do with the other. What is the reason for this divide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana