Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 AM

7,074 posts, read 16,774,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Good point.

Is Old Louisville getting any better?

Yes, much better. I would say it is safe with the caveat that I would not walk alone after dark in many parts, mainly around and north of oak street (technically Sobro).

That said, I am unaware of very frequent random violent crime in that area. Most of the crime is petty drug and prostitution, and simple car break ins.

It's not like there are random muggings, random carjackings, random stabbings, etc.

Chaces are, if you get shot in Old Louisville, you were chasing drugs or prostitutes or both.

I mean, look on zillow. Tons of homes over 300-400k, single family. Several going for around a million. Old Louisville is a nice neighborhood, only tarnished by some long time Louisville locals stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM

22,059 posts, read 13,071,876 times
No. Averaging about a murder a day (generally gang-related) there and downtown, which is ALSO supposedly "gentrifying." But I agree that the Highlands is pretty safe. For now.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No. Averaging about a murder a day (generally gang-related) there and downtown, which is ALSO supposedly "gentrifying." But I agree that the Highlands is pretty safe. For now.
What? uh, no.

The murders are almost exclusively in the west end. Parts of the south end too. Also, it is not an average of a murder a day. So since we are halfway through the year are you claiming we have had almost 200 murders? Because it is closer to 50. Every murder is sad but your post is greatly misleading.

Old Louisville has NOT HAD A SINGLE murder this year! Please quit spreading false information:

Data Center: Murder | Crime Reports from The Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY)

Old Louisville has a very strict definition: Oak to the north, 6th/7th to the west, UofL to the south, Brook to the east. Outside there, it really does change block by block. Even some blocks in Old Louisville are better than others. Only true urbanites like myself or those who have lived, biked, and walked, block by block, really know there area.

The two homicides this year closest to Old Louisville were in Shelby Park, on the east side of I-65. Even that neighborhood is not dangerous, but it is definitely still gentrifying.

Hikes Point had more homicides (1) this year than Old Louisville so far.

That said, because of the high denisity and massive population of the area (there are census tracts with 10,000 ppl per sq mile), there are usually a couple cases of violent crime a year. But please use facts to back up your opinions.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Data Center: Murder | Crime Reports from The Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY)

Downtown also has NOT HAD A SINGLE MURDER this year. Posting that kind of false information wreaks of hate. Nulu, Butchertown, and Phoenix Hill have not seen a lot of violent crime either. That's beause even though there are a few poor blocks that have not gentrified, in general, those are very safe areas.

FYI, downtown has very strict definitions as well: generally the river to the north york/broadway to the south, 9th st to the west, and preston to the east

Old 06-17-2016, 09:35 AM

"Homicides and shootings in Louisville increased dramatically in 2015, and new figures from the Louisville Metro Police Department show that these violent crimes also have spiked in the first four months of 2016, far outpacing that same time period in the previous year.

The LMPD released its new violent crime report on Thursday for incidents from January through April of this year, indicating that Louisville has witnessed 36 homicides and 149 shootings. The homicides represent a 44 percent increase from this point in 2015, and the shootings are a 39 percent increase.

This is coming off another large increase in 2015, as homicides in Jefferson County reached a 28-year high of 84, which was a 49 percent leap from the previous year. There were also 348 shooting victims in Louisville that year, a 41 percent increase from 2014. The number of Louisville homicides in the first four months of 2016 are nearly triple that of the same period in 2014, with the number of shootings nearly double the 2014 totals."

Really; you're denying the high crime rate in Louisville? Talk about misinformation.

Sorry I guess I was referring to shootings -- as opposed to homicides -- in general, and that doesn't even include attacks with knives and other things.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,514,729 times
Old Louisville is a neighborhood, it's not the old city limits.

The main difference from OL when I lived there from 2004/8 is more restaurants have opened up in the north part of U of L's campus. Also the area called Limerick which is just west of OL has become a major Somalian resettlement area and has a few African restaurants and even a bizarre style shopping area. The area southwest of U of L is a main area of Syrian resettlement.

Shootings and homicides are way up this year in the West End but not anywhere else, including OL.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:19 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,262,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The two homicides this year closest to Old Louisville were in Shelby Park, on the east side of I-65. Even that neighborhood is not dangerous, but it is definitely still gentrifying.
Two homicides so far this year, but it's not dangerous? Was there something special about those homicides that people should not worry about them?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM

TWO homicides??? It's another one every day when I turn on the news!!! For some reason, I can't find 2016 stats online, but you try... And take note. Granted, it's mostly the south end, but not exclusively.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,262,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Hikes Point had more homicides (1) this year than Old Louisville so far.
Do you know the details of that Hikes Point homicide? When I google for it, I get undated news stories and news stories from different years.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,801,766 times
Quote:
TWO homicides??? It's another one every day when I turn on the news!!! For some reason, I can't find 2016 stats online, but you try... And take note. Granted, it's mostly the south end, but not exclusively.
Louisville again on pace to see more murders than any year befor - WDRB 41 Louisville News

47 murders as of June 2nd.

In comparison, Washington DC has 58 right now.

https://twitter.com/dchomicidecount

Indianapolis has 41.

Homicide Tracker | WISH-TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area