Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
gjs gjs started this thread

56 posts, read 179,213 times

Advertisements

I have visited Louisville several times over the past few years.
And each time I noticed that the water that comes from the tap has an oder to it. Can someone tell me why this is? Doe's Louisville water supply come from the river? If so, do you think they need a better filtration system for their water supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
First, yes Louisville Water comes from the Ohio River. If you will go up I-71 to Zorn Ave, then go to the river, you will see one of the pumping stations. Water is pumped from three (I think) stations to three treatment plants. One of these plants sits atop Crescent Hill (go back under the interstate and head up Zorn Ave then to Hillcrest and you will see the reservoir a block to your left. There raw water is held for treating in the facility along Frankfort Ave.

No, as far as the odor. I guess I have gotten used to it. Louisville Water Co. says they have very safe water.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 AM

153 posts, read 538,134 times
The LWC is consisently rated in the nations top 10; possibly 10% but really high. I haven't noticed a smell; sulphur possibly? I noticed the lime in Indiana so who knows.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 12,548 times
Default Louisville water

I just came from Louisville last weekend and I have to say that the water in Louisville did great wonders for my digestive tract and for my skin! Judging by some of people's other comments, I'm guessing that it has to be the lime in Indiana. Lime counteracts acidity in us and on us and balances out our PH. Drink Up!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 AM

164 posts, read 590,271 times
The water is fine now, at least at my house. Several years ago we did have a bad odor, we had the water company come out and found nothing other than the odor. I now filter the water through my refrigerator.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 PM

153 posts, read 538,134 times
True story...My mother-in-law had a cavity every other year for the longest time. Her dentist remarked that she couldn't be drinking tap water and that the Flouride would protect her teeth. She started drinking Louisville Water Company water from the tap and has not had a cavity in over 10 years! She had been drinking bottled water before hand, not soda.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM

164 posts, read 590,271 times
This will interest you.

The Louisville Water Co. has won the American Water Works Association's annual "Best of the Best" Water Taste Test, held at the association's annual conference and exposition in Atlanta.
Second place went to the Mal Paso Filtration Plant in Puerto Rico. Previous winners are the Oklahoma City Water and Wastewater Utility and the Illinois American Water, Champaign District, which won in both 2005 and 2006.
Judges included a dining critic with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a certified wine educator and a professor of chemistry and environmental science.
The Louisville Water Co. has provided water to residents of Louisville and surrounding areas since 1860.

Louisville water wins taste test - Business First of Louisville:

Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Louisville has great tasting water. I actually prefer it to bottled.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM

221 posts, read 751,851 times
I noticed while in Louisville that my hair was shinier--same shampoo and products I use always.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 156,353 times
I'm not sure what sort of odor you're talking about; where were you staying where the water smelled funny?

Louisville has drinkable tap water. I've lived in places where we even brushed our teeth with bottled water (Winter Park, Florida) and coming home to Louisville was a welcome change. Our water is pretty decent. A friend of mine comes from Seattle every year. The first year, she bought water to drink because she "always does that when she travels." She tried ours and hasn't bought bottles here since.

I would suggest a water softener in some older homes, however. It cuts down on how much detergent you need to do laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: