Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleJake View Post

MattDen-

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time in Louisville in the early 2000's - But not every city can please everyone.

I moved to Louisville after being raised on the west coast coast in California and Oregon, and when I moved to Louisville, I immediately fell in love with the place. The lush landscape of Kentucky, and the urban environment of Louisville, truely impressed me.

You did not sem impressed by Bardstown Road, but I find a continuous 3 mile strip of restaurants and art galleries impressive for city the size of Louisville. And I would hardly call the Highlands "partially gentrified". Gentrification implies that the area lost affluence and fell into disrepair. I wouldn't call Cherokee Triange (which inspired Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby to make Daisy from Louisville) "gentrified". It has always been affluent and impressive. Or Cherokee Gardens. Or Highlands-Douglass. It's cool you visited Bardstown Road, but you don't know the history of the neighborhoods of the Highlands.

You also mention Old Louisville as having a "few" Victorian mansions. If Old Louisville only has a "few", I'd love to see a lot! Old Louisville is America's largest remaining collection of Victorian mansions, actually, and it was never a commercial hub for Louisville. Again, the history of the area. I also like the fact that there is not some hopping commercial district in Old Louisville - I mean, downtown is right there.

Again, not every city can impress every person - and that's cool. But, to this non-native, I find Louisville an amazing city that I would recommend to almost anyone. I can't wait to move back from Chicago.
Louisville is good but not great, but thats just my perception based on what I saw and I was only there a month

Its not I didnt enjoy the month in Louisville, Its just not my favorite city. I wouldnt mind living in Louisville, but it wouldnt be my first choice. If I was grading the city based on my opinion- I would give it a B. Its landscape is nice, good architecture (some of it could have been better maintained in parts of the city) and clean but Louisville just lacks an urban feel and other then the architecture it I wasnt very impressed with the urban neighborhoods.

The people of Louisville werent friendly either, I wouldnt classify them as unfriendly. On the friendliness and welcoming scale id say they are average

I thought Bardstown Road was nice but the retail and restaurant corridor was fairly spread out, it is long but it lacks density. It was a very clean, well maintained street but it didnt seem to have many people around when ever I was in the Bardstown Road area.

I do remember Louisville as having a very nice green landscape, very good architecture but some of the good architecture wasnt restored to its full potential and it was also a very clean city.

I think Old Louisville for being a dense urban neighborhoods with very nice architecture could have had more retail establishments and a more urban feel.

It just seemed to be a little lacking on vision and energy, seemed like the city wasnt trying to reach its fulll potential.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-07-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 PM

109 posts, read 812,972 times
[Quote:] Again, not every city can impress every person - and that's cool. But, to this non-native, I find Louisville an amazing city that I would recommend to almost anyone. I can't wait to move back from Chicago. [Unquote]

LouisvilleJake....

What a great post. How descriptive & I felt it really came from the 'soul'.
You made me feel as if I was there in your telling of all the neat things.

Hope you make it back to Kentucky. I just purchased a home & will be there soon.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM

257 posts, read 1,081,206 times
I love Louisville, I mean for someone like me that is into historical housing!!! ACK it is more than my wildest dreams could ever handle. It would take years for me to study these houses, and I could stand in front of each one for several hours just gawking..........LOL Then u go the next street and they are even more amazing, I am so glad these houses are so preserved.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM

136 posts, read 569,162 times
[Quote:] Again, not every city can impress every person[/quote] True, my wife and I lived there for 2 years, while I didn't like Louisville at all, she despised it with every cell in her body. I can also count on one hand the number of people we met there during the 2 years that we'd call friendly. YMMV.

-Steve

Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM

92 posts, read 500,098 times
Then you simply weren't friendly either. Seriously.

If you live in any place and can't find "friendly" people, then there is something wrong with you and your wife. Are you YOU friendly people?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 PM

282 posts, read 807,127 times
Louisville is a friendly place - definitely an improvement where I came from.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM

109 posts, read 812,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauben2007 View Post
[Quote:] Again, not every city can impress every person
True, my wife and I lived there for 2 years, while I didn't like Louisville at all, she despised it with every cell in her body. I can also count on one hand the number of people we met there during the 2 years that we'd call friendly. YMMV.

-Steve[/quote]

It's a shame Steve that neither you or your wife found any friendly people in Louisville.

I have to agree with LouisvilleJake, if you are friendly, than it WILL be difficult to find anyone friendly.

I myself have never in my 66 years lived in a place where there wern't friendly people all around me. Oh there was the occasional grouch, but you'll get that anywhere.

Just remember that you reap what you sow...

God Bless.

JOE

Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM

136 posts, read 569,162 times
We have lived in multiple cities both before and after and found Louisville to have the least friendly people we've come across, yes there were a few, but just a few that were genuinely friendly. Obviously others results may vary.

-Steve

Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,329 times
I grew up in Louisville. We moved 4 years ago. All of my family still lives there. (I am sooo homesick) Louisville is a great place to live. There is a large number of Catholics, thereby the Catholic Schools. Each parish feels that a catholic education is important, and that they need to make it available to every child. The High schools are not parish schools, but are administered by religious orders. The public schools are good too. In fact very few of the parish elementary schools offer advanced courses, so if your child is in advanced classes he would go to public schools.

I have never seen a KKK presence in Louisville. I am sure they are there, like everywhere else. Louisville is not the enviroment that the KKK might be successful in. Louisville is about the arts (Opera, Ballet, Actor's Theater, JB Speed Art Museum), College Basketball (U of L, U of K & IU), the Kentucky Derby, and Parks (Lots and Lots of parks). Of course that is not all--I could go on and on!

As far as a great neighborhood with newer homes--there are several! I would go East (out Westport Road, Brownsboro Road) Still a lot of new construction going on there! I don't know much about Southern Jefferson County, except that there is a lot of growth there too.

As far as a mixed marriage, I don't think anyone would care. Louisville is a mix of all kinds of people from all over. I think every demographic group is represented.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 80,994 times
You get what you give and you are what you eat. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area