Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times

Advertisements

gemstone I like that! But are there no other Southern cities that are progressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 AM

29 posts, read 32,909 times
Missymomof 3, ive lived in VA, TX, NC, SC , GA, and LA and i have to say there are no other cities in the south let alone most of the southern states that are progressive. Religion takes hold of government in these states and ceases progression. Not to bash religion but thats what i have seen countless times, I have also lived in every northern state but Maine and ive lived in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, and so far my observation has proved true, that the south just doesnt want to progress.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Jersey... wow! That's alot of moving!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 32,909 times
ive moved 36 times to date, 37 this fall

Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Jersey, this is a genuine question. Help me understand what you consider "progressive". Please tell me why religious people stagnate progress?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

tomocox I was wondering that myself, thanks for asking.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 49,012 times
I've lived in Louisville for 8 years, moving here from Seattle and being born and raised in San Diego. As far as race relations go, I find things far more harmonious between black and white in particular than either San Diego OR Seattle. There just seems to be a comfort between black and white that doesn't exist in these supposedly more progressive cities.

As for the religion thing, at first you're really freaked because on Sunday the roads are empty around church time. And nobody asks whether you go to church or not, but which church you go to. In the suburbs there are high counts of "W" and yellow ribbon stickers on the cars, but there's definitely a progressive element in the city - and a surprisingly good anti-war turnout for various rallies.

As for churches to be afraid of, generally Catholic churches are reluctantly liberal. But the Mega churches like SouthEast Christian are highly political neo-conservative powerhouses where people leave the pews more ready to hunt "Arabs" than pray for peace. But unfortunately that's nothing unique to the south.

As strident and downright scary as these churches are, people still are largely accepting of their neighbors, and generally friendly. If they don't approve of you, it will more likely take the form of typical Southern passive-aggressive whispers behind your back, wagging fingers, etc. And when that occasionally happens (or when you occassionally find out about it), it's awfully easy to feel the superior person.

But over all, you can find about any type of persuasion you're looking for - they tend to flock together, and it's very easy to meet people here. The longer we live here, the more we find the people to be largely laid back and easy to get along with. I won't deny that the first year or two can require some serious attitude readjustment - especially coming from progressive cities on the West Coast.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM

whoa there Nelly! I know not ONE single Christian who is ready to go out and hunt anyone! Where did you get that from?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 25,012 times
I've lived in Louisville for three years and I love it. I have never seen anything racially motivated. There are some really great neighborhoods with a great family atmosphere and the great thing about this town is there is a neighborhood and place for everyones lifestyle. There is a community for everyone to fit into. If you ever need anything I have several relocation resources and know a lot about different neighborhoods in Louisville. Feel free to email me at alyssonriffe@gmail.com if you ever need any more information.

Last edited by Chinchilla17; 09-05-2007 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Error in the message.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 PM

42 posts, read 116,743 times
Jerseyboy....I wish you were here so I could high-five you and hand you a cold beer.

"Jersey, this is a genuine question. Help me understand what you consider "progressive". Please tell me why religious people stagnate progress?"

Suggested reading: Anything by Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and the latest by Christopher Hitchens. Check out Youtube videos for the above people, as well. Good stuff that will hopefully open your mind a wee bit and see into what "progressive" thought is all about.

We already know everything there is to know about the conservative/religious right...it's time for you guys to come over to our side of the fence for a while. Just don't mind the transvestites and crack viles :-P

Last edited by Dowdy_Pants; 09-05-2007 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area