Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

The NRA Political Victory Fund has endorsed Paul LePage for governor. It is the first time in 20 years they have endorsed a candidate for governor in Maine.

"Paul LePage will be a strong voice for hunters and law-abiding gun owners in Maine," Cox continued. "We ask all gun owners and sportsmen to vote Paul LePage for Governor on November 2."

National Rifle Association | Political Victory Fund | NRA-PVF Endorses Paul LePage For Maine Governor

Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Huh? I think you might have typed that too fast and left out something that would make it make sense.

I did see the ad and I know there has been something brought up about property here and in FLA, but the ad didn't show enough to make anything clear...not to me anyway.
Wow. It said "but the deed showed property in Florida" before I hit whatever it is I hit that causes words to disappear (wish I knew what it is so that I'd stop doing it). When the ad shows the deed skip to the property location.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:33 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Wow. It said "but the deed showed property in Florida" before I hit whatever it is I hit that causes words to disappear (wish I knew what it is so that I'd stop doing it). When the ad shows the deed skip to the property location.
I saw the ad again and tried to look closely at the image of the deed they showed, but it was too quick for me to tell anything in particular.

I think the original point of controversy was that his wife filed for homestead exemptions on both the ME and FLA properties, which are only supposed to be valid on the 'primary' residence.

Now, while the exemption in ME gets one a tax reduction, I don't believe the same is true for FLA (but I could be wrong). AFAIK, the Homestead filing in FLA only provides protection for creditors/liability (lawsuits). I'll try to look into that when I have more time.

Disappearing words- it's been happening to me, too. I thought is was because I'm using a laptop and sometimes a change in humidity causes the capacitance relationship between skin and the touchpad to change, and accidentally brushing the heel of my thumb across the pad was causing it.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 AM

123 posts, read 297,253 times
from Florida Department of Revenue.

Homestead Exemption Up to $50,000
Every person who owns and resides on real property in Florida on January 1 and makes the property their permanent residence is eligible to receive a homestead exemption up to $50,000. The first $25,000 applies to all property taxes, including school district taxes. The additional exemption up to $25,000, applies to the assessed value between $50,000 and $75,000 and only to non-school taxes.
If one spouse holds the title, the other spouse may file for the exemption with the consent of the titleholder.
If filing for the first time, be prepared to answer these questions:
In whose name or names was the title to the dwelling recorded as of January 1?
What is the street address of the property?
How long have you been a legal resident of the State of Florida? (A Declaration of Domicile or Voter's Registration will be proof of date before January 1.)
Do you have a Florida license plate on your car and a Florida driver's license?
Were you living in the dwelling on January 1?

Quote:
I saw the ad again and tried to look closely at the image of the deed they showed, but it was too quick for me to tell anything in particular.

I think the original point of controversy was that his wife filed for homestead exemptions on both the ME and FLA properties, which are only supposed to be valid on the 'primary' residence.

Now, while the exemption in ME gets one a tax reduction, I don't believe the same is true for FLA (but I could be wrong). AFAIK, the Homestead filing in FLA only provides protection for creditors/liability (lawsuits). I'll try to look into that when I have more time.

Disappearing words- it's been happening to me, too. I thought is was because I'm using a laptop and sometimes a change in humidity causes the capacitance relationship between skin and the touchpad to change, and accidentally brushing the heel of my thumb across the pad was causing it.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiinuk12 View Post
from Florida Department of Revenue.

Homestead Exemption Up to $50,000
Every person who owns and resides on real property in Florida on January 1 and makes the property their permanent residence is eligible to receive a homestead exemption up to $50,000...
Yep, I looked it up before I saw your post.

So, if LePage and his wife are cohabitating and there were, in fact, HEs filed on both properties, then they are wrong since only one can be a primary residence. Any improperly rec'd tax discounts on the FLA property should be repaid. (A person holding a high political office in one state should not be claiming primary residence in a different state AFAIC.)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

So, if LePage and his wife are cohabitating and there were, in fact, HEs filed on both properties, then they are wrong since only one can be a primary residence. Any improperly rec'd tax discounts on the FLA property should be repaid. (A person holding a high political office in one state should not be claiming primary residence in a different state AFAIC.)
There is a difference between 'permanent' residence and 'primary' residence.

For many years my 'permanent' residence was in California. Even though I moved around, lived in other areas and owned homes in other states and nations. Each of those other homes were my 'primary' residence for the duration of when I was living there.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Meant purely as a joke, my friend. You and Paul need to lighten up a little.

And I am sure what you say about Mitchell is true.
Sorry for missing it. I never mind a reminder to lighten up.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a difference between 'permanent' residence and 'primary' residence.

For many years my 'permanent' residence was in California. Even though I moved around, lived in other areas and owned homes in other states and nations. Each of those other homes were my 'primary' residence for the duration of when I was living there.

Yes, but did you claim tax exemptions from all of them or just your permanent one? Therein lies the issue.

This goes toward character. Also, if they claimed that their primary residence was FL during the period their children were in college ostensibly to reap the benefits of cheaper tuition, then people are going to take issue with that as well. I don't yet know enough about that situation to comment; however, it's been thrown out there.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yes, but did you claim tax exemptions from all of them or just your permanent one? Therein lies the issue.

This goes toward character. Also, if they claimed that their primary residence was FL during the period their children were in college ostensibly to reap the benefits of cheaper tuition, then people are going to take issue with that as well. I don't yet know enough about that situation to comment; however, it's been thrown out there.
From 1976 until 2001 my 'permanent' residence was my mother's home. My employer needed an address of where to ship my body in case I expired on the job. During that time I may have visited that location, though I did not reside there.

I have had many 'primary' residences. At each primary residence my Dw has had to get a local driver license, local vehicle registration, etc. And we have both registered as voters in each location.

To my knowledge we have never violated any laws in doing this. After 60 to 90 days; you often have to be shifted to a local driver's license, vehicles must have local tags, etc.

College tuitions are different, some require that you have resided there 3-months, some 6-months. After which you are 'local' and get the lower tuition rates.

Among people who are born, raised, marry, and die all in one state; this may seem 'odd'. But to people whose careers require a lot of relocating, this is normal.

You move to a new place, and you automatically start the process of getting a local bank account, a local driver's license, local vehicle registration, a local library pass, and within a few months you are a 'resident'. Three years later you pack up, move and do it all again.

My career had us moving many times, often at the three to four year point. None of this is illegal. And I do not see the implied un-ethical part of it.

Each state is different. The over-riding authority is the Federal Government. They say 180-days. If you spend 180-days or more at a residence then that was your 'primary residence' for that year.

I did many years where my 'primary residence' was underwater on a sub. It was my Dw who was stuck year-round in whatever state [or country] we owned a home in; and for her that was her 'primary residence'.

Again I do not see this as automatically unethical or a slight of character.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
A home can be the primary residence or homestead for more than one generation at the same time. Mrs. LePage's mother lives in the home in Florida full time. I believe one daughter lives there while attending college in Florida. That's two generations and when Mrs. LePage is there helping her Mom, it's 3 generations. All are adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine