Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times

Advertisements

Now for all the whiners who complained about LePage getting a tax break of $1400.00 in Florida...It has been confirmed ....he is allowed the tax break!
It probably won't be in the Portland Press Herald anytime soon but the Sun Journal picked it up today.

Official: LePage tax exemption allowed in Florida | State

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,682 times
I seem to think that ME has the same challenges in the next election that CA does. We have very similiar political circumstances in many ways.

I have been in CA long enough to vote here now and not in ME. But if I were to vote in ME, it would probably be for Le-person that proved to be the most fractious. At this point, I'll vote for anyone that makes me laugh.

Either way, it's going to be like rolling dice. We get what we wish for.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Now for all the whiners who complained about LePage getting a tax break of $1400.00 in Florida...It has been confirmed ....he is allowed the tax break!
It probably won't be in the Portland Press Herald anytime soon but the Sun Journal picked it up today.

Yep, caught it on the news last night (I'm glad I said "if"), it was a legal tax avoidance strategy. I'm all for people using every legal strategy possible to reduce the amount of taxes they must pay.

Now the other campaign should be charged under libel/slander laws.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM

48,174 posts, read 22,024,577 times
I will still probably vote for Libby Mitchell.....but would vote for E. Cutler if I thought he had the best chance of beating LePage. I am not opposed to LePage because of his wife's tax status in Florida.....or whether or not his name was or wasnt on their property in Maine.....I am voting against LePage because of his negative stance on the issues that matter to me: equal rights for all Mainers......enviornmental issues......education......government protection against corporate laxness and excesses that effect pure food and health and degredation of Maine communities and landscape....and constitutional protections such as the separation of church and state. I want a Governor who is prepared to guide Maine into the 21st Century and who isnt anti-science....anti-progress and against the societal values that I hold near and dear.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That depends on how you mean “wealthy.”

If you’re talking about small and locally owned businesses, then I completely and wholeheartedly agree with you. But I don’t consider those folks “wealthy.”

If you’re talking about major corporations, then that’s horse hockey. Trickle-down economists have been telling us for 30 years that if we lifted corporate tax burdens and subsidized corporate incentives that it would lower prices and allow them to hire more workers. The result? A dying middle class and hundreds of thousands of jobs shipped overseas. In the ’90s we were told that if only we lifted trade restrictions, consumer prices would fall and jobs would be created. The result? The jobs trickling out the U.S. became a flood.

The economic mess we’re in now is a direct result of the trickle-down policies of Reagan, Clinton, and Bush.
THIS is the truth about tax cuts for the wealthy, with one addition. When those wealthy people got their tax cuts, they did not create jobs with the savings; they went out and bought banks. Now we know how well that worked out.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I will still probably vote for Libby Mitchell.....but would vote for E. Cutler if I thought he had the best chance of beating LePage. I am not opposed to LePage because of his wife's tax status in Florida.....or whether or not his name was or wasnt on their property in Maine.....I am voting against LePage because of his negative stance on the issues that matter to me: equal rights for all Mainers......enviornmental issues......education......government protection against corporate laxness and excesses that effect pure food and health and degredation of Maine communities and landscape....and constitutional protections such as the separation of church and state. I want a Governor who is prepared to guide Maine into the 21st Century and who isnt anti-science....anti-progress and against the societal values that I hold near and dear.
Baldacci was for gay marriage and it was vetoed BY THE PEOPLE of Maine not the Governor.
If the sitting governor is pro gay marriage and the law was rejected by the people what makes anyone think the outcome would be different just because a new governor believed marriage should be defined as one man and one woman?

THE PEOPLE rejected gay marriage.....

LePage won't be flushing nuclear waste into the rivers though he may be able to reach some common sense alternatives to envrionmental issues which are now putting a strangle hold on every business in Maine. Read the Forbes report which has Maine dead last for business oppurtunities.
Not everyone in Maine is living off a pension or welfare (yet). Jobs and the dare I say it....growth that comes along with new business should not be stifled.
Filling in a mosquito bog to build a furniture factory should NOT be the pervue of the DEP. Maine has an abundance of mosquito bogs.

Education needs an overhall. There are ways of thinking other than the liberal mindset. Just because liberals do not agree with the opposite way of thinking does not automatically make it wrong. A review of failed liberal policies should confirm this notion.

Science has progressed very little in 30 years. Due mostly to the peer review system. This system stifles real science by forcing peer review on any new theory. If a theory does not conform to established mainstream science it is rejected and the scientist or graduate student stands little chance of getting his/her theory published. No publishing = no grant money so they have no choice but to conform to peer review. There is NO advancement with this system. Why do you think they could put a man on the moon in the 60's and now can't even get into orbit? It is an archaic system and resembles the church's review of science back in the Dark Ages where one would be killed for suggesting the earth wasn't the center of the universe. Teaching today's science as fact instead of what MOST science is, Theory, is indoctrination into this failed system.
Free thinkers see the difference and are not afraid of alternative view points.
There is a huge difference between presenting theory and history to children and allowing them to make up their own minds as to what works and what doesn't work in the world than force feeding them a liberal- prescribed ideology which tells them to reject out of hand anything that does not conform to that strict ideology.
Most people would choose to have their children see alternatives and make up their own minds. Real change is coming.

Last edited by Maineah; 10-26-2010 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

PPH DID post this on their site. I'm not sure if it made the paper today or where it ended up if it did.
The comments section in the PPH is interesting. Lots of disappointed LePage haters who cannot take facts as facts.. Some of them have become all but unhinged now that the truth is out.... LePage nor his wife did anything wrong .... they just can't seem to accept that. The smear campaign by the left failed.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,174,079 times
Quote:
PPH DID post this on their site. I'm not sure if it made the paper today or where it ended up if it did.
The comments section in the PPH is interesting. Lots of disappointed LePage haters who cannot take facts as facts.. Some of them have become all but unhinged now that the truth is out.... LePage nor his wife did anything wrong .... they just can't seem to accept that. The smear campaign by the left failed.
Judging on the water cooler conversations I've had lately, I believe that the smear campaign on both sides is failing miserably.

It'll be interesting to see who wins, but if any of them have any brains left at all (zipping lips with duct tape ) they'll knock off the nasty ads.

Personally, I don't see that happening 'tho.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 PM

48,174 posts, read 22,024,577 times
As far as I am concerned....you dont have to smear LePage....he is unacceptable on the face of his campaign...(you cant' smear grease)..but I am concerned about the smear campaign that the Maine Democratic Party is running against Cutler....it is more vicicious and racist than anything I have ever witnessed. As a new "Democrat" voter in Maine....I am about ready to switch to "Independant".

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,174,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
As far as I am concerned....you dont have to smear LePage....he is unacceptable on the face of his campaign...(you cant' smear grease)..but I am concerned about the smear campaign that the Maine Democratic Party is running against Cutler....it is more vicicious and racist than anything I have ever witnessed. As a new "Democrat" voter in Maine....I am about ready to switch to "Independant".
Yep. It IS vicious - leading me to believe that the more vicious it becomes, the more worried the Democratic party is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine