Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think he meant that when it comes to public-funded education it quickly becomes a money pit. A point is reached where more funding only hurts the final product.

Many regions of the nation have had to learn this.
There's that, and that it's just plain stupid to quit school.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,294 times
I have yet had anyone fully explain why we need to keep sinking more and more money for education. Just how is more money going to educate kids? To me educating kids come down to 3 things. The teachers, the parents and the kids themselves. What's next? More money for teachers? Maybe that will make them better teachers? Pay the parents? Think that will get them inovlved and make their kids study better or even go to school? How about we just pay the kids to go to school. If a child wants to learn, they will, if they don't then it is up to the parents to take more interest.
It amazes me that many of us made it through school and have done okay for ourselves with the public school system. Maybe we had teachers who could back then put us in our places, maybe our parents made sure we did the right thing, maybe we actually wanted to learn something.
Enough with the spending. The kids who want to learn and make something of themselves will. If they don't, no amount of money is going to help that.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I have yet had anyone fully explain why we need to keep sinking more and more money for education. Just how is more money going to educate kids? To me educating kids come down to 3 things. The teachers, the parents and the kids themselves. What's next? More money for teachers? Maybe that will make them better teachers? Pay the parents? Think that will get them inovlved and make their kids study better or even go to school? How about we just pay the kids to go to school. If a child wants to learn, they will, if they don't then it is up to the parents to take more interest.
It amazes me that many of us made it through school and have done okay for ourselves with the public school system. Maybe we had teachers who could back then put us in our places, maybe our parents made sure we did the right thing, maybe we actually wanted to learn something.
Enough with the spending. The kids who want to learn and make something of themselves will. If they don't, no amount of money is going to help that.
Thank you for saying that - my thoughts exactly. I can accept spending more for some things because things are expensive, but I truly believe that there's a whole lot of waste purchasing expensive programs that don't teach much.

I don't think (and haven't thought for quite some time now) that we are getting the most bang for our buck.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
And the point was not the comparison of Mitchell vs. LePage on education, but the comparison of Mitchell's claims vs. the reality of the numbers.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM

325 posts, read 706,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't blame her personally, either. However, she is the poster child for "status quo" (roamed the halls of power for the last THIRTY SIX years). And so much of our state is broken (incuding education). I would never DREAM of voting for a careerist like her. (Ex-teacher here).
Plus she's very rude in person, as I can attest. Nice in public, VERY rude in person.
The opposite of LePage, eh?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
According to the Maine Department of Education (Maine Department of Education - Data Center--Student Data--High School Completion Rates) the statewide high school graduation rate has fallen from 85% to 80% on Libby Mitchell's watch.

In her home district of Kennebec County the graduation rate has fallen more severely; from 86% to 79%. The graduation rate in her home district has now fallen below the state average.

Mitchell's political website (www.libbymitchellforgovernor.com) claims, "During her time in the legislature she has been a tireless advocate for education; successfully championing legislation to improve Maine’s K-12 and higher education systems…."

If this is her idea of success, what does failure look like?
I'll REP you, just for the call name, dude! The party will only be over when we replace the children running Disgusta for the last 30 years with responsible adults.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Since we are talking about failures of the educational system, care to comment on Waterville's drop-out rate that is DOUBLE the state average?

Eggs, issues & politics: Businesses take stock | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You can't cure stupid, no matter how much money you throw at it.
Are you saying Waterville = stupid? I wonder what the folks who live there thing.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
If you want to know where the candidates stand on the issues, check 'em out:

Your Vote 2010 - The Race for Governor

After reading through them, I have to revise my opinion. I'll definitely be writing-in Mr. T. What a sad crop of yahoos.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Has anybody found any cold hard facts to support LePage's claim that he reduced taxes without reducing services when he was mayor of Waterville?
I work for a business in Waterville and I can tell you that I haven't seen the taxes on the business go down, only up! And when we were looking to buy a house in the area, we couldn't find anything in Waterville that was even sensible in their taxes. We were told by some folks that people were actually moving out of Waterville because of such high taxes.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Has anyone heard the rumor of Mr. Lepage being married previously while he was living in Canada? I read that in the newspaper and was wondering if there was any merit to this mentioning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine