Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,897,060 times

Advertisements

THey all claim the same success. The same old mantra of lower taxes, smarter kids who will go to college and stay in Maine after, and more jobs for everyone. THen they get in the Guvs seat and find out the Speaker, President and the rest of the Leg have more power than they. After that epiphany they sit back and just go with the flow.

However, Mitchell claims we should elect her because she "worked" for us for 30 years in the Leg. Why would I vote for someone who thinks what has happened over the last 30 has been good? Furloughs for the State then and we're back at it. But it isn't solely her; she just had a hand in it all.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,918,554 times
I don't blame her personally, either. However, she is the poster child for "status quo" (roamed the halls of power for the last THIRTY SIX years). And so much of our state is broken (incuding education). I would never DREAM of voting for a careerist like her. (Ex-teacher here).
Plus she's very rude in person, as I can attest. Nice in public, VERY rude in person.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Granted, she is not solely responsible for this. However, she has been in Augusta since 1974. She has been Speaker of the House and President of the Senate. She has certainly been in powerful positions to influence K-12 education in Maine. Yet, our graduation rate is falling.

How does she reconcile this with her self-claimed record of success?
I understand what you're saying, but I also can't fault her for the entire mess either. I don't see how we can seem to be so hell bent on our kids being the smartest, that we focus our energy on all of the latest expensive educational fads, only to have to wave goodbye to them when they leave to find a job elsewhere. That has never made one iota of sense to me.

I do think she should think twice before tooting her horn on Education; however, as was said elsewhere, they all jump on the education bandwagon when it comes to stumping for votes.

There is also the "Race to the top to leave no child behind" to consider in terms of what schools have to do now to "prove" that the children are learning what they should be. Parents also need to play a large role in education as well.

That said, I do tend to think that she'll be "business as usual."

Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,504,272 times
Quote:
According to the Department of Education Maine's high school graduation rate has fallen from 85% to 80%. In Mitchell's home district of Kennebec County the graduation rate has fallen from 86% to 79%. The dropout rate in her district is now higher than the state average! If she thinks this is success, what does failure look like?

Since we are talking about failures of the educational system, care to comment on Waterville's drop-out rate that is DOUBLE the state average?

Eggs, issues & politics: Businesses take stock | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,253,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Since we are talking about failures of the educational system, care to comment on Waterville's drop-out rate that is DOUBLE the state average?

Eggs, issues & politics: Businesses take stock | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

You can't cure stupid, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,504,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You can't cure stupid, no matter how much money you throw at it.
come again?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
come again?
I think he meant that when it comes to public-funded education it quickly becomes a money pit. A point is reached where more funding only hurts the final product.

Many regions of the nation have had to learn this.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 PM

I once started to read her platform, but at the third mention of more bonds to raise more taxes, I stopped reading it.

Maybe we need a career politician to raise taxes higher.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,725,854 times
Quote:
According to the Maine Department of Education (Maine Department of Education - Data Center--Student Data--High School Completion Rates) the statewide high school graduation rate has fallen from 85% to 80% on Libby Mitchell's watch.

In her home district of Kennebec County the graduation rate has fallen more severely; from 86% to 79%. The graduation rate in her home district has now fallen below the state average.

Mitchell's political website (www.libbymitchellforgovernor.com) claims, "During her time in the legislature she has been a tireless advocate for education; successfully championing legislation to improve Maine’s K-12 and higher education systems…."

If this is her idea of success, what does failure look like?

The demographics are changing in Maine and we will continue to see the negative results of that. Higher Crime, More dependency, and children from broken homes who need way more attention in our schools and from all forms of government services..

So we probably cannot blame Mitchell directly for the underperforming of students in our schools... though I suspect she will just want to throw more money and more money and more money while the whole time failing recognize we have a family problem in Maine... a major breakdown in family values and a huge hand out asking for free stuff!

However I will clearly blame these progressive democrats and libral ideaology for changing our demographics by attracting large groups of people who view governments role much differently then "most" conservatives and Libertarians and I believe most Mainers! These people see themselves as entitled and democrats are more then willing to support that in return for votes..

What we need to do is "think" about what is Maine going to look like in the next 10 years....20 years...

And dont tell me your afraid that it will be Mass, or Ct.. fact is both those states can handle influx's because they have such a large base of educated and skilled people... Maine is much different.. we are old, poorly educated, and though we might be hard working our workforce lacks the skilled workers..

As for the schools... stop reinventing the wheel. The Best and the Brightest this country ever produced was decades ago when there were stern expectations placed on students and those principles were reinforced in the home..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQ6XgXeNuY

you have to watch the whole thing to appreciate it

Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... though I suspect she will just want to throw more money and more money and more money while the whole time failing ...
I think this is rather obvious, since her platform is based on raising taxes, raising taxes and raising taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine