Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times

Advertisements

On other forums that I visit, I have occasionally mentioned C-D as a good place to learn about Maine.

It can't hurt to get folks into conversations about Maine, if they are thinking of migrating here.

We had a nice lunch the other day at Olive Garden in Bangor with a group of C-D posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,698,673 times
Mainah,
Your diet says you can have one granola and soy milk shake on Wednesdays. That's your tall one. Take it or leave it.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Mainah,
Your diet says you can have one granola and soy milk shake on Wednesdays. That's your tall one. Take it or leave it.
I think his body would reject the soy...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
NMLM and Maineah both have good points. There was one poster here over the past year and a half, who I befriended. As I often do, I took photos of real estate they had found online and sent them, and when this person came on a whirlwind recon mission, they stayed with us for a few days. They made their move this past year, late summer/early fall, with a passel of farm critters, and roomed with a couple of us while looking for work, which was found rather quickly. A property was found as well... BUT this person, and the remaining critters, are back once again in the state they moved from. The situation surrounding the move was difficult, but COULD have been successful but the poster was unwilling (unable?) to put in the considerable effort it would have taken -- on top of working two jobs -- to properly house her animals. She was used to making more money working less hours, for one. But it would have been do-able, had she wanted to live here badly enough. She had folks -- met here on the forum and through forum friends -- who were willing to help but we were not willing -- nor able -- to do it FOR her.

Maine is not an easy place to live. You have to WANT to be here, and more than that, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes and feel like it's a fair trade. I know youngsters -- the 20- and 30-ish crowd -- who would never consider moving anywhere else; most are Mainers, born and bred. It is a different place, a different lifestyle that will not fit everyone... but there are lots of generic, one town fits all places out there. I know, I have lived in lots of them... and kept moving. Now, I am planted, glad to be here and willing to share my experience. I know there are others of all ages who will come here, like it, stay and make positive contributions.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,911,561 times
There are always exceptions, like my wife. She's in her 20s, comes from Toronto, and has always loved living in Manie. (Of course, could have something to do with ME lol).

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
By city standards Maine is pretty dull to 20 and 30 somethings. You can only have so many clambakes or trips to see lighthouses before it becomes ho-hum. If I were younger looking for a state to live in, Maine would be FAR down the list.
Wasn't true of me when I was young or at any stage of life.

It depends on how deeply you experience the world around you.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Maine is not an easy place to live. You have to WANT to be here, and more than that, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes and feel like it's a fair trade. I know youngsters -- the 20- and 30-ish crowd -- who would never consider moving anywhere else; most are Mainers, born and bred. It is a different place, a different lifestyle that will not fit everyone... but there are lots of generic, one town fits all places out there. I know, I have lived in lots of them... and kept moving. Now, I am planted, glad to be here and willing to share my experience. I know there are others of all ages who will come here, like it, stay and make positive contributions.
I've been researching Maine for years, and I suspect that the people who move to Maine and are disappointed are those who move there because all they see is inexpensive real estate and low property taxes.

And they fail even for a moment to consider the feelings and culture of the Mainers who will be their neighbors.

Someone here recently posted something about planning to buy a house in one of the more impoverished areas of Maine because in such a location the cost of living should be less.

I was reminded of the British occupation of India and the benefits to the British of all the cheap coolie labor.

My conscience would torment me every time I had steak for dinner, knowing that all around me some of my neighbors might be scared and hungry.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM

103 posts, read 194,468 times
This forum has helped tremendously in making our decision. I wish I could say it's possible, but with the housing market the way it is and the job situation it's almost impossible.

Cheers and here's to continued dreaming. You all are the real deal and I, for one, appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I'll just let my numbers talk. I guess Maine interests me for some reason.
  • Maine: 686
  • Other Topics: 181
  • Photography: 93
  • Automotive: 34
  • Games, Trivia, etc.: 34
Maine forum folks.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,558 times
I believe the ideas put forth here have reinforced my desire to live in Maine. Although it's been since the 70's since I have spent significant time there in the cold months, I come from Maine stock and believe it's in my DNA. I am fortunate as I have resources to sustain my wife and I. She is a New Zealander and the folks in Maine remind her of her countrymen. We plan to still spend some time in North Carolina and New Zealand and elsewhere but Maine will be home. That being said, many things discussed here have caused me to really think through alot of the pre-concieved notions I had prior to belonging to this forum. Among them: I am seriously going to have to think of maximizing resources in the way of heating any home I purchase/build. I would like to utilize wood, but as my age increases, how realistic is this if I am unable to cut wood myself? As our age advances, I am going to have to think of the proximity of healthcare facilities,as I am diabetic this is a concern even though I manage it quited well. Stay away from windmill farms, they are unsightly and make alot of noise. As I participate on several online forums on antique machinery (Chevy trucks, Indian motorcycles) and Red Sox baseball-I must say folks are much more civil here in their discourse. Thank you for humoring me, some of you have invited me to your homes for a visit and don't be suprised if I actually turn up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine