Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,479 times

Advertisements

A new job has me and the family (wife, son 9, daughter 14) moving to Maine and a job in Kennebunk. We have been looking at rental homes and we found 4 that we like so far.

Scarborough
Westbrook
Wells
Biddeford

I've had from numerous people, that Biddeford is not a good area. When I say numerous people, I mean realtors I've talked, store owners from different parts of Maine, etc. So I'm taking them on their word because the people I've talked to have been so varied, there has to be some truth to it.

That leaves Scarborough, Westbrook, and Wells.

I'd like your opinions, and thoughts to what you would consider to be the pros and cons for these 3 areas. It would be of immense help to me as I make my decision.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Edited

Its down to Scarborough and Wells

Westbrook had AWFUL school ratings on greatschools so we're narrowed down to 2 now.

Bring it on people

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM

More random thoughts.

So living in Scarborough gives us access to South Portland, Walmart is super close, Target, Sam's Club. Also its only 3.5 miles from Higgins Beach.

Its a 20-30 minute commute to work though. In the summer , it's ok, I can ride the motorcycle, wife can use car. But in winter / fall, wife will need the car to be able to run errands and also maybe go to school to handle anything kid wise.

In Wells, there's the same things in Sanford more or less, but also I have a 5 minute commute to work roughly but in the summer, is it still a 5 minute commute?

Working on a big pros/cons list. So I may keep blabbering in response to my own posts till people chime in.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpupaz View Post
More random thoughts.

So living in Scarborough gives us access to South Portland, Walmart is super close, Target, Sam's Club. Also its only 3.5 miles from Higgins Beach.

Its a 20-30 minute commute to work though. In the summer , it's ok, I can ride the motorcycle, wife can use car. But in winter / fall, wife will need the car to be able to run errands and also maybe go to school to handle anything kid wise.

In Wells, there's the same things in Sanford more or less, but also I have a 5 minute commute to work roughly but in the summer, is it still a 5 minute commute?

Working on a big pros/cons list. So I may keep blabbering in response to my own posts till people chime in.

Get the second car. They come in handy.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Will a 20-30 minute commute be 20-30 minutes in the summer? --maybe some of the time, but probably not all of the time. The closer you live to your job, the easier it would be for your wife to drive you to work and pick you up. unless you want to buy a second car...

Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpupaz View Post
A new job has me and the family (wife, son 9, daughter 14) moving to Maine and a job in Kennebunk. We have been looking at rental homes and we found 4 that we like so far.

Scarborough
Westbrook
Wells
Biddeford

I've had from numerous people, that Biddeford is not a good area. When I say numerous people, I mean realtors I've talked, store owners from different parts of Maine, etc. So I'm taking them on their word because the people I've talked to have been so varied, there has to be some truth to it.

That leaves Scarborough, Westbrook, and Wells.

I'd like your opinions, and thoughts to what you would consider to be the pros and cons for these 3 areas. It would be of immense help to me as I make my decision.

Thanks in advance.
You have to take what you hear or read with a grain of salt. I am from out of state and lived in Lewiston (Maines other armpit and similiar to Biddaford according to most Mainer's) for 10 years and still own property therer... there is Nothing wrong with it ..

I know some people who had lived in scarborough but moved back to L/A because they hated the area and didnt like the schools.

You just have learn how to read between the lines.

However..... If your working IN Kennebunk then I would want to stay as close to it as possible and would prefer southern communities. Wells is good but the closer to Portsmith NH the better for me. Portsmith is awesome and NH is so much better. Maine is expensive and NH offers cheaper shopping and more to do.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 AM

8 posts, read 14,880 times
Have you ruled out Kennebunk, the town your job is in ?

Lots of recreation activities for the kids and I believe is or used to be a pretty good school system.

Keeps you close to NH as above poster said. Actually Kennebunk is equidistant from Portsmouth and Portland, so you can do activities in either direction. It may be a bit more pricey than Wells though.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman0202 View Post
Have you ruled out Kennebunk, the town your job is in ?

Lots of recreation activities for the kids and I believe is or used to be a pretty good school system.

Keeps you close to NH as above poster said. Actually Kennebunk is equidistant from Portsmouth and Portland, so you can do activities in either direction. It may be a bit more pricey than Wells though.
I agree that Kennebunk is a really nice and convenient town.....well worth considering. There is a difference between Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. The port is where the Bush family lives and seems a bit hoity toity to me......picture post card pretty though.

Saco is another town that would be in my top choices in Southern Maine....pretty, progressive, historic....good schools.

Biddeford is "uneven".....old tenement districts but also some suburban areas. I wouldnt rule it out....but I would want to eye ball anything I found on line.

Scarborough is a large land area......no real town center.
Wells gets VERY congested during the tourist season.....enough to take it off my list.

I would rule Westbrook out.....they are having some social problems.....that makes it less than ideal, altho I love the river and the old mills and there are some signs of cultural revival......arts and resturants.

Good Luck and Welcome to Maine.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
I agree with elston. I'd look closely at Saco.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Tough finding rentals on craigslist in Saco - will have to probably contact a realtor in the area to see whats open - so far this has been a great help - luckily I'll be there this Wed / Th / Fri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine