Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM

34 posts, read 71,642 times

Advertisements

I realize that crime is less prevalent in Maine than in other states, but would you say I should consider owning a gun in less populated areas of Maine more so than not?

The areas I am looking at would be north of Bangor and they are all small or very small towns.
I have never owned a gun and don't know the first thing about them, other than what they generally look like.
I was not raised in the USA and so almost everything is new or unfamiliar to me, including the question of gun ownership.

I am really thinking about situations when Police don't get to me in time or there is no time to call the Police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
If you want a gun, get a gun. But you should probably take a safety course first.. or at least find someone to show you how to use the thing. I live an hour from the nearest police station, have for almost 40 years and it has never crossed my mind that I should have a gun. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who live in more urban areas, even next door to a police station, that have a gun.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
never crossed my mind that I should have a gun.
Me too. But I'm sure glad that Maine is such a state that you can own one if you want. I would probably own a weapon if I lived there full time. Shoot me some lobsters.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoIBelong View Post
I realize that crime is less prevalent in Maine than in other states, but would you say I should consider owning a gun in less populated areas of Maine more so than not?

The areas I am looking at would be north of Bangor and they are all small or very small towns.
I have never owned a gun and don't know the first thing about them, other than what they generally look like.
I was not raised in the USA and so almost everything is new or unfamiliar to me, including the question of gun ownership.

I am really thinking about situations when Police don't get to me in time or there is no time to call the Police.
Take some training before you buy a weapon then. It may not only save you but ohters as well. Plus, you'll get some idea of what not to carry as well as what to carry and shooting it.

There are those that feel that when seconds count, the police are minutes away. I've never felt the need to own one like the other posters, but I do know folks here that work in the woods and feel they need to carry because of coyotes. It's a personal choice. Just get trained and knowledgable on it first. My opinion only

Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Do your research about guns. Do you want a shotgun or rifle or a hand gun. I have all three but was raised with guns and had my first at 10.
Secondly take a safety course!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Here's another opinion.

From your post, I sense a curiosity on your part about firearms, and also a tentative fear that something could happen to you in a sparsely-populated area, where the police may not be able to respond as quickly as in the city (even there, they are not always on time!). Unfortunately in the USA during the past few decades, firearms have gotten a bad name as "criminal", "dangerous", or even "terrorist". They are no such thing. They are a tool, just as a knife or baseball bat are tools. Remember, it is the human who fires the shot, not the gun. That's only a non-thinking mechanical object. Untouched, it will not harm anyone or anything.

What I suggest to you, before you spend any money, is to take the state's course on hunter safety. You may argue that you do not wish to become a hunter, and you don't have to. But in this class, which is either free or very low cost, you will meet instructors who will teach you (among many other things), how to hold and carry the firearm, how to determine the ammunition for it, how to tell if it is loaded or not, how to shoot it safely, how to clean it, and you will get actual range time -- but not much, as there will be other students, many of them just youngsters.

This class should give you an idea whether you want to pursue this further, before spending money, as this activity is not cheap. If you decide you like it, you can purchase a firearm for your purposes, and I then recommend that you join a gun club and also get formal instruction. This assumes you do not have friends or neighbors who will take you under wing; even they are not the best instructors.

Most people I know who enter this with an open mind find that it is a lot of FUN! Once you are trained, it is less dangerous than riding a bike, and MUCH less dangerous than driving. I hope you enjoy your quest for information on the shooting, hunting, and self-defense activities!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I haven't had a flat tire in over twenty years, but I still keep a spare tire in my car. Yes, every one should have a gun to protect themselves against future unknowns. Learn how to use it.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I haven't had a flat tire in over twenty years, but I still keep a spare tire in my car. Yes, every one should have a gun to protect themselves against future unknowns. Learn how to use it.
I agree. look up where a firearm safety class is going on in your area an take it, LEARN [it is no shame to not know anything about firearms or anything else for that matter. As I was taught growing up the stupid question is the one not asked.] This class should have you trying out several weapons and calibers to see what is best for you. I've shot rifles shotguns and semiauto pistols and revolvers [while I own one of each I prefer the revolver] But PLEASE learn firearm safety first before you get one. and ALSO learn the laws of fireamrs and self defense as well.
In today's economy and social upheavel a firearm MAY be your only hope, Not only for 2 legged trouble but 4 legged as well.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM

118 posts, read 283,899 times
You don't need a gun. But if you do it'd be more likely used in defense against wildlife (black bears) than humans.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
You don't need a gun. But if you do it'd be more likely used in defense against wildlife (black bears) than humans.

Maine has a fairly low crime rate, but often has very long police response times. This means that they usually don't get there until it's time to take pictures if you live in a rural area. So, your choice is to accept the responsibility of to defending yourself, or hope for the best (and the odds are with you). It really is your choice. In my town, we contract for a part-time county officer, so I doubt an officer would arrive in under a half hour unless I was lucky.

As far as wildlife, there is nothing in Maine that is dangerous, except on very rare occasions. Don't get too close to moose, and if you see a bear, growl at it and it will run away. Probably the most danger is being bit by a rabid raccoon. I don't remember that ever happening. Oh yeah, forgot about hitting moose with your car, which kills people every year here.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-17-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine