Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times

Advertisements

There are always ads for CNA's in the help wanted section of the Bangor Daily News. Check out the BDN on line. It may answer some of your questions and give you a wider view of our area than I could on this site. You most likely would have to pay around $1000 a month or more to rent a 3 bedroom house. Possibly even buy one for lower payments than that. It depends on what you have to put down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
... many on this forum, have moved to maine, in the past few yrs, from other states-it can and does happen ..
We moved to Maine in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi_28
Thank you all so much. I dont have to live near a beach. Reasonable driving distance is fine ... Someone mentioned housing with my husband's job. Thats a negative. We pay 1175 a month for a 3 bed 1 ba home. Thats alot when you really arent content. Great family town and community but Im set on Maine. I wish I would have looked into it before moving to Colorado.
When we first got here we moved into a 2bdrm 1ba apartment. $600/month including heat and hot-water. An extra $50/month to allow our cat and a dog.

While Maine does have over 3,000 miles of coast line, we also have many rivers, with a great many lakes and ponds. If you were open to water-frontage that may be up to an hour drive from the coast it really opens up how much of Maine you could be looking at.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
I will add my 2 cents here - i cant help as a person LIVING in Maine, but as someone who visited for over 30 years, and is planning on moving there. (I am a retired single woman, and currently live in NJ.)

I am looking further up the coast toward Eastport, and rents are very reasonable - as are many houses and property taxes. The only thing would be you would have less places to look for jobs. But it's a thought. I get the newspaper from that area delivered, and also the paper from the Boothbay Harbor area. You can find out many things that way.

Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 35,632 times
So far Scarborough is sounding really nice! Thank you to all that have sent me emails.I aprreciate it

Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,222 times
Smile Looking for a place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi_28 View Post
Hello all..I am so intrigued with Maine.Its beautiful and my family and I desperately want to move there.I have no clue as to what cities are great and which are not.I am a CNA (nurse aide) and the hubbs can do just about all.He is currently a maintenance supervisor for a residential management comapany.Neither job would transfer.I have 2 kiddos 7 and 9.My oldest is severly autistic so a school with a program for him is a MUST! We currently live in Fort Collins,CO.Its great but extremely expensive and its taken a toll on us all.I am content here but who wants to live their life just content.I miss the beach!I sound nuts I know but we made the move to Colorado from Tennessee back in 07 just on a whim.We had never even been to CO and its worked out great.Opinions on towns,schools,real estate,and rentals would be greatly appeciated.Camden looks like a great place....
Hello,I live in Maine and i live in a small town and the schools are pretty nice here both the elementary and JR and senior high are one school. It is very cheap and very nice for children to grow up in.We are 18 miles from Waterville and 5.5 miles from Skowhegan and 35 minutes from Augusta where there is work and here are CNA jobs all over here and everywhere even where i work they need them. Find out if Maine will except your CNA they did not except mine and you might have to do it all over again.But you can work for companies that will pay your way an d you can get your CRMA to do med passes it is 5 day course and cheaper then CNA an d pays better.It will give you work quicker and another job to fall back on.Let me know if you want more information, by!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM

17 posts, read 35,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontwantkids View Post
Hello,I live in Maine and i live in a small town and the schools are pretty nice here both the elementary and JR and senior high are one school. It is very cheap and very nice for children to grow up in.We are 18 miles from Waterville and 5.5 miles from Skowhegan and 35 minutes from Augusta where there is work and here are CNA jobs all over here and everywhere even where i work they need them. Find out if Maine will except your CNA they did not except mine and you might have to do it all over again.But you can work for companies that will pay your way an d you can get your CRMA to do med passes it is 5 day course and cheaper then CNA an d pays better.It will give you work quicker and another job to fall back on.Let me know if you want more information, by!

Thank you I def want the CRMA.Do you mind sending me a message with with the typical salary for a CNA there.I know it varies in different areas.I plan on getting my nursing degree.Its hard here because even after pre reqs are finished its a 3 year wait on the list which is crazy.In TN we had Technical schools that offered the LPN class in 1 year.No pre reqs required.Do they have any schools like that there? They do not offer those here in CO eitther.Only MA programs.Why would they not accept you CNA license? I looked at the nursing board website and it was saying you didnt have to retest as long as you can show proof that you finished the 9th grade and have worked I think 3 years as one.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
I went to the JobsInMe website and searched "CNA Entire State." I haven't looked through all of the listings, but the ones I did look at say hourly wage. There always seem to be a lot of listings but the pay could be better. In the past year I have seen some ads that would actually tell you up front $9 per hour. I guess it all depends how much you are used to being paid and how much you need to earn to pay for rent, food, gasoline, etc.

Costs to heat a place in the winter (October-April) can be a big shock to someone who isn't used to living in Maine. If you can find an apartment that includes heat and as many other utilities as possible in the rent, that could be the most affordable choice. It is rare to find a "house" that includes heat and any other utilities. If you find a clean decent apartment that includes heat for $800-$1200 a month, sounds like a good deal to me. The hot water is often heated by the furnace rather than an electric or gas hot water tank. Heating a house is typically a lot more expensive than heating an apartment. Here's the JobsinME link so you can take a look see. You might want to see if there are any jobs listed for your husband.

JobsInME.com - Job Results

You might want to look at the Bangor Daily News and the Portland Press Herald newspapers online. Just google them

Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Many cna jobs in maine- and the salaries are all over the place
here is some info i found on the internet

Saturday September 10th, 2011
Maine CNA Salary

What is the average pay for CNA in Maine?
The CNA pay scale varies per state throughout the United States.

CNA pay scale may also vary by employer.

An individual's compensation may also vary based on work experience.

Maine CNA Salaries
Maine CNAs earn an average of $23,460 per year.

Some CNAs in Maine earn up to $30,530 per year or more.

Maine CNA Hourly Wage
In 2008, the average hourly earnings of Maine CNAs was $11.28.

In some cases, CNAs in Maine earned up to $14.68 per hour or more.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
... Costs to heat a place in the winter (October-April) can be a big shock to someone who isn't used to living in Maine.
I think it is pretty much the same in all of N.E. as well as all of the Northern states.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think it is pretty much the same in all of N.E. as well as all of the Northern states.
I haven't experienced heating a home for a Maine winter (yet), but this statement makes sense to me. We currently live in NY and heat with oil & wood (boy that first winter was rough on the wallet!). So at this point we're used to the cost and work involved.

We have been looking at many different areas of the country for relocation and found that many of the places we have loved on vacation are either too much heat (Charleston, Savannah) or too little snow (Seattle) and that we would miss having a true winter. Maine is a place we have loved for vacation and we can actually picture ourselves living in permanently. And the heating cost is something we can plan for, and do our best to control with proper winterizing, updating, etc. Costs will still be high, but I guess it's the price you pay for living in such a wonderful location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine