Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,288 times

Advertisements

If you are a nature lover, you will find it impossible to not like this lake. Also, it difficult to make any generalizations about Graham Lake. We've seen sandy beaches, beaches with lots of boulders (and some fossils), uniform pebble beaches, areas with clay (we're in Mariaville). We have clay in front of our house and it's very shallow so it's not as desirable as some of the waterfronts I've heard mentioned on this forum. However, our view is absolutely spectacular. We face east and a bit south and we can see at least 1/2 mile down the lake with mountains in the background. The sunrises frequently are just unbelievable.

This lake must be treated with a great deal of respect when boating. There are many shallow areas with sand bars or rocks. Probably the most dangerous aspect of the lake are the stumps that exist in certain areas. Depending on the level, some may be just below the surface. The ideal thing is go for a slow cruise when the lake level is low to see where the stumps, rocks and sand bars are. I've often thought about cutting the stumps in the channel but have resisted because it helps keep the lake quiet. We carry a spare propeller and cotter pin with us. We've grazed a couple of stumps and encountered shallow areas but no damage yet (*knocking on my head*).

My wife and I are not very good fisher-people but we have caught many nice sized small mouth bass among other species.

Winter sports are really great there. We like to ice fish, cross-country ski and snowmobile. The lake is a lot of fun because (at least since we've been there) it gets lowered to the point where the ice actually becomes hilly and follows the contours of the bottom.

Anyway, we really enjoy the lake and miss it when we can't get up there because of obligations or whatever. I guess the only thing that's been a bummer it seems like we've been having a rainier summers than I would like. I really can't say enough good things about the lake though whether it be observing wildlife, fishing, boating, kayaking, exploring islands, potentially finding fossils, berry picking, mushroom picking (yes there are many wild edible mushrooms in the area - no, not the funky kind ). There's was one embankment last year that we couldn't be believe our eyes: the whole embankment was covered with chanterelles.

We live on a much smaller lake in southern Maine and they just don't compare.

Better go before I clog up the internet with my huge post .

Last edited by CJB3; 04-15-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM

18 posts, read 54,857 times
We have been wondering about Hardwood Hill island (we can see it from our property), does anyone here own a place there? How do you get to it, how many camps there? Is there a road on it? Saw a float plane land close to it once...

Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB3 View Post
If you are a nature lover, you will find it impossible to not like this lake. Also, it difficult to make any generalizations about Graham Lake. We've seen sandy beaches, beaches with lots of boulders (and some fossils), uniform pebble beaches, areas with clay (we're in Mariaville). We have clay in front of our house and it's very shallow so it's not as desirable as some of the waterfronts I've heard mentioned on this forum. However, our view is absolutely spectacular. We face east and a bit south and we can see at least 1/2 mile down the lake with mountains in the background. The sunrises frequently are just unbelievable.

This lake must be treated with a great deal of respect when boating. There are many shallow areas with sand bars or rocks. Probably the most dangerous aspect of the lake are the stumps that exist in certain areas. Depending on the level, some may be just below the surface. The ideal thing is go for a slow cruise when the lake level is low to see where the stumps, rocks and sand bars are. I've often thought about cutting the stumps in the channel but have resisted because it helps keep the lake quiet. We carry a spare propeller and cotter pin with us. We've grazed a couple of stumps and encountered shallow areas but no damage yet (*knocking on my head*).

My wife and I are not very good fisher-people but we have caught many nice sized small mouth bass among other species.

Winter sports are really great there. We like to ice fish, cross-country ski and snowmobile. The lake is a lot of fun because (at least since we've been there) it gets lowered to the point where the ice actually becomes hilly and follows the contours of the bottom.

Anyway, we really enjoy the lake and miss it when we can't get up there because of obligations or whatever. I guess the only thing that's been a bummer it seems like we've been having a rainier summers than I would like. I really can't say enough good things about the lake though whether it be observing wildlife, fishing, boating, kayaking, exploring islands, potentially finding fossils, berry picking, mushroom picking (yes there are many wild edible mushrooms in the area - no, not the funky kind ). There's was one embankment last year that we couldn't be believe our eyes: the whole embankment was covered with chanterelles.

We live on a much smaller lake in southern Maine and they just don't compare.

Better go before I clog up the internet with my huge post .
Sounds nice--but what's the tick population like along its shore?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM

68 posts, read 195,328 times
We have had a camp on the lake for ten years now and I have never seen a tick. Doesn't mean they aren't around but the wife and I have never seen one.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
We have had a camp on the lake for ten years now and I have never seen a tick. Doesn't mean they aren't around but the wife and I have never seen one.
Thank you.

That's nice to hear.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 11,572 times
Thanks for the reply regarding the well, I found that it really is the luck of the draw... I suppose where there are deer, there are ticks and we've seen some beautiful ones, our lot seems to be the favored path to the water. We've been lucky with the hidden obstacles lerking below the water line, it does make a huge difference depending where the lake level is at, plus drifting wood. Another thought adding to the beauty of Graham is looking up! What a view if your a star gazer :-)

Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 AM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
We've had years when we have seen neither ticks nor fleas. This year no fleas yet but ticks a few times already. But it's not just at Graham Lake. Folks at work report having their dogs come in with more ticks than usual, so it seems pretty wide spread.

A rainy, overcast weekend but the Lake was still beautiful. Can't wait to get the boat in the water. Just bought an adirondack rocker from a friend. Looking forward to that, too!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 50,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum #1 View Post
We have been wondering about Hardwood Hill island (we can see it from our property), does anyone here own a place there? How do you get to it, how many camps there? Is there a road on it? Saw a float plane land close to it once...
Our camp is directly across from Hardwood Hill Island. There are 6 or 7 camps on the island and the only way to access the island is by boat or in the winter by ice. No road that I am aware.
Yes, there are a few planes that come over from Beech Hill pond that you can see occasionally flying low over Graham lake in the summer and sometimes in the winter. Also someone up the lake has a friend with a plane that lands on the lake to go visit them. Up the river, We ahve also seen a plane parked at a dock for several summers now.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermis View Post
Our camp is directly across from Hardwood Hill Island. There are 6 or 7 camps on the island and the only way to access the island is by boat or in the winter by ice. No road that I am aware.
Yes, there are a few planes that come over from Beech Hill pond that you can see occasionally flying low over Graham lake in the summer and sometimes in the winter. Also someone up the lake has a friend with a plane that lands on the lake to go visit them. Up the river, We ahve also seen a plane parked at a dock for several summers now.
The Dunn family has a hanger on Beech Hill Pond and I believe its often the Dunns on Graham Lake. Graham is so large and so quiet it makes a perfect place to practice. The Dunns put on a huge July 4th breakfast every year - anyone welcome. I've never been but it's grown into quite the event. And of course almost all of us on Graham Lake can sit and enjoy the 4th of July fireworks on Beech Hill Pond every year.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 54,857 times
Good information on Hardwood Hill! I had to look up Beech Hill Pond; this map shows Graham Lake pretty well at low water levels if you zoom in...

Otis (serving Beech Hill Pond), Maine (http://www.boatmaine.us/calsingle.aspx?resID=4651 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine