Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ohhhh..... geez, that was funny!!!

Wait. You're serious?
Who's serious? I'm never serious. Its a by-product of working in mental health for 40 years. If I allowed myself to be serious about my work I would have had a nervous breakdown in the first 6 months.

I don't know if Tin was born in Maine or not. Or whether he was born here(there) and then moved away for 87.564% of his life and came back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Clearly not a native Mainer [rather a retiree who migrated to Maine]

We like the calm lifestyle, and the friendliness.

My pickup truck radiator blew a month ago, as we were parked on the shoulder waiting for it to cool. One car passed by and did not stop [out of state plates],
I usually stop if I'm local. But if I have out of state plates, I know that I'm not likely to be able to help since I don't know where anything is. And if someone has already stopped, I don't usually feel like duplicating effort. There are circumstances though.....

But you should know that in many parts of the country, Maine not included, that stopping for a disabled driver is DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS. In the more populous states, people pose as disabled simply to rob you when you stop. Most people don't stop for the danger reason and just put a call into the cops by cell.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Who's serious? I'm never serious. Its a by-product of working in mental health for 40 years. If I allowed myself to be serious about my work I would have had a nervous breakdown in the first 6 months.

I don't know if Tin was born in Maine or not. Or whether he was born here(there) and then moved away for 87.564% of his life and came back.
It was 39.3% in the military. Born & bred in Eastport; not sure where I was buttered. I'm not very serious either. Comparing from military living to civilian will do that to ya.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It was 39.3% in the military.

I stand corrected. Good thing about the not serious. its the only way to live, especially when retired. After work ends, its just an long series of endings.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
[quote=Zarathu;20792172]I usually stop if I'm local. But if I have out of state plates, I know that I'm not likely to be able to help since I don't know where anything is. And if someone has already stopped, I don't usually feel like duplicating effort. There are circumstances though.....

But you should know that in many parts of the country, Maine not included, that stopping for a disabled driver is DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS. In the more populous states, people pose as disabled simply to rob you when you stop. Most people don't stop for the danger reason and just put a call into the cops by cell.[/quote]

Jimmy Carter Blvd in Atlanta is one of those places. Most folks I know only stopped to say they were calling for help (with the window cracked open). Non-posers generally stop at the tail of the car and go back to theirs after you tell them. Otherwise the good Samaritan hightails it out of there.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
But you should know that in many parts of the country, Maine not included, that stopping for a disabled driver is DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS. In the more populous states, people pose as disabled simply to rob you when you stop. Most people don't stop for the danger reason and just put a call into the cops by cell.
Yes, I am aware of that, which is why Maine stands out.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
I know this is going to be an un-popular, non-answer.

As a native Mainer I just don't consider anywhere in Maine (or anywhere in the north for that matter) as a retirement destination. My retirement does not include 5-6 months of shoveling snow, plowing snow, or slipping on the ice and breaking my azz.
I wont have to do any of those things... I wont need to drive anywhere, and for the ice i will wear proper shoes*

(edited to add: those things that go on the bottom of shoes for the ice*)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 AM

393 posts, read 982,173 times
You mean people in this economy can actually retire??

"If I don't work then I might as well be dead," is a common theme here. Seriously, many of the old folks in Maine work until they die, and it's not only for financial reasons. I've met a guy who excavates septic systems and a plumber in their 70s; a carpenter, a plumbing inspector and hardware store owner well into their 80s; a farmer in his 90s running a tractor, and a motel owner in her 90s.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM

157 posts, read 327,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post

"If I don't work then I might as well be dead," is a common theme here. Seriously, many of the old folks in Maine work until they die, and it's not only for financial reasons. I've met a guy who excavates septic systems and a plumber in their 70s; a carpenter, a plumbing inspector and hardware store owner well into their 80s; a farmer in his 90s running a tractor, and a motel owner in her 90s.
Gee - my husband will fit right in then ! He's of the mindset that if he stops working he'll die ! Is it a guy thing?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post

Some people are afraid of being bored.

Having a part-time self-employed business allows a retiree to stay semi-busy. To still feel useful and have a purpose.

I have known retirees who simply could not amuse themselves without a job.

The guy I buy oats from is in his 90s. His farming takes up a fairly small portion of his time, it gives him a purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine