Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times

Advertisements

Come out to maine on a mini vaca-check it out- look around portland, walk the streets-get a feel for the area, check out jobs while you are here
the whole foods in portland seem to be always looking for retail help in all departments- for what they charge-they should pay well

http://www.indeed.com/q-Journalism-l-Maine-jobs.html

here's one link with about 20 journalist jobs in maine-check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 11,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Make sure you have a job lined up as they are pretty scarse here right now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has a serious shortage of investigative reporters. The kids "reporting" in our newspapers just take "press releases" from special interest groups and publish them as "news". They are not news. They are more like free advertising for special interest groups. If you escaped from a journalism school with a logical mind intact you will have a bright future in Maine.
Northern Manine Lande Man,

What you just described is exactly everything my husband dislikes about his field. Sadly, they try to teach you more PR in school than actual journalism. He's graduating from a regionally recognized school for journalism and has had some decent professors. His internships, and passion, are most definitely in investigation and true news. Thanks again for all the info!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Atrixwolfe,

Wow! Thanks for all the information. We've been checking on craigslist and whatnot, but I will definitely look at all the links you listed. We did look at VBRO, but ended up booking a B&B that's right downtown and had some great rates.

Thanks again for all the info!
Katie

Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Coaster,

I'm not sure that we're "committed" to Portland (we haven't been to that side of the country yet), just from my research it seems like it might be a good fit for us. Although, when we visit we plan to rent a car and drive all over to see all the options. Thanks for the links and information though! This site has been so helpful.

Katie

Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Mainebrokerman,

Yes, we are coming out for a mini vaca in April. That's a great site for journalism jobs, thank you! If we love the city (which I hope we will) we're both willing to take jobs we're not in love with to get there and work our way into something we do love.

Thanks again for the info!
Katie

Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc2239 View Post
Mainebrokerman,

Yes, we are coming out for a mini vaca in April. That's a great site for journalism jobs, thank you! If we love the city (which I hope we will) we're both willing to take jobs we're not in love with to get there and work our way into something we do love.

Thanks again for the info!
Katie
good luck katie-Im glad I could help out-
come see for yourself-you may love it up here!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
I'm told that the Moosehead Messenger published my Op-Ed on LURC yesterday.

I just learned that yesterday's Moosehead Messenger was the final edition. The newspaper is closing forever. LURC has made it hard for a business to survive in Northern Maine. As people leave, businesses leave, advertisers leave and more businesses close. This bunch of unelected functionaries has been highly effective at implementing their CLUPs over these last 40 years. There is a name for this. It is rural cleansing.

A pilot has to get a flight physical from a certified flight surgeon every two years. I used to go down to Greenville and see old Doc. Pritchard for my flight physicals. He was a member of LURC. He used to say, "Any time you see a vote of six to one, I'm the one. I stand up for the landowners of Northern Maine. "He's gone now and he was the last member of LURC who stood up for the landowners. Nearly all votes since have been unanimous.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I'm told that the Moosehead Messenger published my Op-Ed on LURC yesterday.

I just learned that yesterday's Moosehead Messenger was the final edition. The newspaper is closing forever.
Darn. I used to read that paper every week back when I was in the business. I'm a little surprised, because weekly papers in general were doing okay last I heard and it would seem someone would want to buy the MM rather than see it go under. It's really too bad.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc2239 View Post
Coaster,

I'm not sure that we're "committed" to Portland (we haven't been to that side of the country yet), just from my research it seems like it might be a good fit for us. Although, when we visit we plan to rent a car and drive all over to see all the options. Thanks for the links and information though! This site has been so helpful.

Katie
Katie, this might interest you, from today's Portland Press-Herald:

Wealthy financier invests in Maine papers | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Quote:
PORTLAND - MaineToday Media will receive a multimillion-dollar loan that will enable it to pay down debt and fund an ambitious growth plan aimed at restoring its role as the state's leading news source.

The company announced Friday that it has reached terms with Maine Values LLC that includes the loan, valued at $3 million to $4 million.
Hopefully the investment means the newspaper will start hiring again.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Katie, this might interest you, from today's Portland Press-Herald:

Wealthy financier invests in Maine papers | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Hopefully the investment means the newspaper will start hiring again.

That's great information! Thank you!

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine