Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 998,238 times

Advertisements

Hello Maine,

We love your state!! We are looking to make some fundemental changes in our lives and want to move to Maine and would appreciate any and all feedback.

My Family (Wife, two kids ages 4 and 7) and I currently live in Oregon and wish to be closer to family in OH and NY. We can easily pay cash for a nice older home ($125-150K range) in Maine except for the Portland area. We are open to Auburn/Lewiston, Augusta and Bangor areas.

We are contemplating doing the move out there and finding jobs in or around where we settle once we arrive. I know this sounds crazy...... but we did it once before and all worked out fine in the end. My Wife will set up a Naturopathic Physicion practice and I have a degree in Economics and have had a variety of job experiences in my life and I'm not overly picky.

What do you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
That's exactly what we're doing. DH is in a field in high demand and just did some calling around the area we'll be living to find out about the hiring procedures and liklihood of finding quick employment. We feel secure enough to make the move under those conditions. I think a great deal has to do with your employment possibilities and your ability to be self-sustained for a period without employment.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Chris I think you guys can do really well. My suggestion is to really do your homework as far as the area in which you'll settle first. That will give you some idea of how well your wife's practice will do--she may do better more quickly in some areas rather than others--and what is available for opportunity for you as well. I used to live in the Bangor area, and am very partial to that region. There are many small towns nearby where housing is not terribly expensive. I also think you would have a chance to get a med practice up and going. The Belfast and Ellsworth areas are also nice. If you get a chance to read through some of the old threads regarding different areas of Maine, that would help you and generate some questions you could come back and ask us! Good Luck! I'm the type of person who tends to do things by the "seat of my pants" as my Dad used to say, so I'm thinking that if the two of you are willing to try it and work together, you'll do just fine!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:19 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Good luck to ya.

I've been unemployed for over 6 months here in Maine. Its pretty hard. Plan for at least 6 month living expenses with no income.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
The length of time it takes you to find a job will depend heavily on what you do for a living and how skilled/experienced you are at it. Only YOU can be the judge of that. With sufficient planning and research, you will be fine.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,258 times
Oh God...you're giving me an anxiety attack!

I'm having enough problems dealing with moving 1,000 miles WITH a job.....

But I must admit, I admire your spirit. It should definintely make for a fun adventure!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
If you are reasonably versatile and want to work you'll do fine. It sounds like you have good skills. The further north you the better a home you can buy for $125,000.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieOSU View Post
Oh God...you're giving me an anxiety attack!

I'm having enough problems dealing with moving 1,000 miles WITH a job.....

But I must admit, I admire your spirit. It should definintely make for a fun adventure!
Good for you guys, but I have to agree. We are not that brave. Just saving up so we can retire early (@ 14 more years) before we make the big move.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
good time to buy but do not rush. 150k might not get you all that you think you can get in the L/A area, but if you take your time and be choosey you could nail a good deal. I live in Auburn..was an agent at one time....and am currently an investor owning properties in both Lewiston and Auburn. There are more variables in Maine. You could see something that "LOOKS" great in an add but in actuality is junk, or located in a not so desirable area. Do not be afraid to rent for year to learn the area. You sound like you have the right attitude so as far as work I think you'll be fine. good luck.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM

191 posts, read 518,922 times
Oh gosh, sounds like what we are contemplating too. Its very scary, but this forum has just oodles of info -so stick around. I hope we aren't over optomistic either. My husband built his own plumbing business down here.(trained as a plumber in germany so he knows his stuff . I've got an undergrad degree in the sciences/medical field with a grad degree in finance - but both of us will do whatever needs to be done support a simpler lifestyle up there. We are looking forward to scaling down a bit on the commercial stuff and enjoying the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine