Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

One of the main issues people face is not being hired because they don't already live in the area. It's hard to find jobs and housing from 2000 miles away. A tentative employer is taking quite a risk hiring someone who can't show up to work for at least a week, which is most likely the best case scenario.

It's not the best way to do things, moving without a job, but sometimes the only viable option. If you do your homework ahead of time, I believe the transition will ultimately go smoothly. I'll let you know once we've done it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
One of the main issues people face is not being hired because they don't already live in the area. It's hard to find jobs and housing from 2000 miles away. A tentative employer is taking quite a risk hiring someone who can't show up to work for at least a week, which is most likely the best case scenario.

It's not the best way to do things, moving without a job, but sometimes the only viable option. If you do your homework ahead of time, I believe the transition will ultimately go smoothly. I'll let you know once we've done it!
I agree....having made the move indicates that you're serious about starting a new life in a new place. Doing it this way is not for everyone, but it can work for those who are serious, committed and willing!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 AM

This is where communication is a must. You have to actually speak to the people who do the hiring in your field, in your location of interest, etc. You'll have a good feel for the job climate after a few conversations. And don't just talk to one person with one company - talk to several - due diligence will protect you from making that fatal error that some make, only to find themselves without work for months on end after moving.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisruns2far View Post
Hello Maine,

We love your state!! We are looking to make some fundemental changes in our lives and want to move to Maine and would appreciate any and all feedback.

My Family (Wife, two kids ages 4 and 7) and I currently live in Oregon and wish to be closer to family in OH and NY. We can easily pay cash for a nice older home ($125-150K range) in Maine except for the Portland area. We are open to Auburn/Lewiston, Augusta and Bangor areas.

We are contemplating doing the move out there and finding jobs in or around where we settle once we arrive. I know this sounds crazy...... but we did it once before and all worked out fine in the end. My Wife will set up a Naturopathic Physicion practice and I have a degree in Economics and have had a variety of job experiences in my life and I'm not overly picky.

What do you think???
I am not sure what "naturopathic physicion" (sp) means, but if it is some sort of alternative medical practice you will need to look very seriously at the area and its population. If you are moving to an area that has good employment but people there have relatively little discretionary income, medical services no matter how good, will not be purchased without insurance coverage to help pay for them. If you intend this practice to provide a significant portion of your income in the short term, you had best move to an area where there are fairly welthy, or relatively wealthy people who can support it. Camden/Rockport, Kennebunk and southwest Maine including the greater Portland area are best bets. Lewiston/Auburn less so, and Bangor and down east, far less so.

There is plenty of work around if you are not too picky, but most of the randomly available jobs are not going to be particularly high paying. Eeking out a living is certainly possible anywhere in Maine, if you are willing to get up in the morning and get out the door.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:00 AM

34 posts, read 91,239 times
I admire your enthusiasm! We have a house for sale or rent 18 miles from the Bangor airport. It's on the main street in a a small town and your wife could have a home business there. Also, if you were wanting to teach, there are colleges in Bangor and also Orono. Bangor has helpful resources for starting your own business.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 PM

136 posts, read 998,460 times
Hi Mollysmiles,

Thanks for the post in words of encouragement!!! We have only been to Maine one time and liked the Bangor area best as far as larger towns/cities go. How are the winter time driving conditions if you have a 10-20 mile drive into town/work??? I've lived in Oregon and Colorado so I'm used to snow driving, do they keep up with plowing the roads? Would rather live in town to be able to walk to many things, but we would consider the couuntry or much smaller towns too. Is it realistic to think that $125-150 could buy a nice old home that didn't need any fixing-up?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM

136 posts, read 998,460 times
Default Real estate???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
good time to buy but do not rush. 150k might not get you all that you think you can get in the L/A area, but if you take your time and be choosey you could nail a good deal. I live in Auburn..was an agent at one time....and am currently an investor owning properties in both Lewiston and Auburn. There are more variables in Maine. You could see something that "LOOKS" great in an add but in actuality is junk, or located in a not so desirable area. Do not be afraid to rent for year to learn the area. You sound like you have the right attitude so as far as work I think you'll be fine. good luck.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Do you think it is realistic to buy good/great condition older home for $125-150K in most parts of Maine? How much cheaper is it to buy in the country or much smaller towns versus in the bigger towns/cities? We would appreciate your thoughts.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM

222 posts, read 529,886 times
Default Sometimes you need to jump

We moved to Maine with only one job secured in Maine and quitting 2 high paying ones in Texas, we also bought a house here while still owning one in Austin and we raided our retirement fund to make it all happen. Was it worth it? YES everyday when I drive home through the most beautiful territory I have ever seen and drive up to my home with acreage and take a walk down our safe and quaint street and stare at the tides changing only a few hundred feet from our front door. Yes I make less money here and yes money is tight-but we are WHERE we want to be and it makes all the difference. Don't wait till you are too old to live your dream---make it come true while you can still enjoy the Maine that you only find living here year round.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM

323 posts, read 993,114 times
Don't wait till you are too old to live your dream---make it come true while you can still enjoy the Maine that you only find living here year round.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love that post MaineMathTCHER. We are going to list our home as soon as I can get it together. Seems overwhelming but we are scared and excited!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Don't wait till you are too old to live your dream---make it come true while you can still enjoy the Maine that you only find living here year round.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love that post MaineMathTCHER. We are going to list our home as soon as I can get it together. Seems overwhelming but we are scared and excited!
Me too! I repped you, though I didn't say it out loud! When you have a dream, nomatter how big, you'll do anything to make it happen if you feel it deeply enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine