Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times

Advertisements

So far you've received some excellent suggestions. 9-10 hour drive NYC to Bar Harbor. That's a day up and a day back. You could easily spend a week on Mt. Desert Island/Acadia National Park. There was another thread awhile back someone driving from NY to Maine asking similar questions....might want to use the search feature of the forum for places to visit in Maine, Maine vacation ideas, etc. for additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelashk View Post
Hi all,
I am driving from NYC to Maine. I plan to stop by Portsmouth NH, Portland, and Bar Harbor along with Acadia National Park (will see the sunrise there). Any suggestions? How many days should I dedicate for this trip? Would three be enough?

Thanks!
I just got back Friday.
I spent 3 1/2 days visiting Portland, Boothbay and Freeport.
I then headed up to Bar Harbor for another 3 days for July 4th.

The perfect amount of time.

Keep in mind, from NYC (L.I. Here) Bar Harbor is 9 +/- hours away. Without traffic.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM

282 posts, read 575,160 times
Quote:
Stay on Rte #1 for more touristie type things to do.

If you have a lot of time, this is a great idea but if you are only doing a week or less, you will spend all your time on the road, especially in the summer. The traffic will kill you. Maybe look at a map and find a few spots where you would like to come off the highway but driving from Portland to Bar Harbor on Rte. 1 will take forever.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I just got back Friday.
I spent 3 1/2 days visiting Portland, Boothbay and Freeport.
I then headed up to Bar Harbor for another 3 days for July 4th.

The perfect amount of time.

Keep in mind, from NYC (L.I. Here) Bar Harbor is 9 +/- hours away. Without traffic.
You might have another 9hrs of traffic from Whitestone/Throgs Neck to your house!!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post

If you have a lot of time, this is a great idea but if you are only doing a week or less, you will spend all your time on the road, especially in the summer. The traffic will kill you. Maybe look at a map and find a few spots where you would like to come off the highway but driving from Portland to Bar Harbor on Rte. 1 will take forever.
nahh..it's not too bad. Getting on I95 adds 20-30 miles onto a trip going north, the coast cuts that off and affords far better scenery. I've driven from Lubec to Brunswick on the 1 and it added probably about 30 minutes compared to what I generally do (get to Belfast, take 3 to the I-state). You just gotta have the cahoots to pass a few geriatrics.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
nahh..it's not too bad. Getting on I95 adds 20-30 miles onto a trip going north, the coast cuts that off and affords far better scenery. I've driven from Lubec to Brunswick on the 1 and it added probably about 30 minutes compared to what I generally do (get to Belfast, take 3 to the I-state). You just gotta have the cahoots to pass a few geriatrics.
You can save a bit of time going to Brewer and catching 395 to 95 instead. But if you're like me, it's not the destination, it's the journey that counts. BIL gets frustrated that I don't shoot down the Airline but take Rt1 most of the way. I'm in no rush most days.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
You can save a bit of time going to Brewer and catching 395 to 95 instead. But if you're like me, it's not the destination, it's the journey that counts. BIL gets frustrated that I don't shoot down the Airline but take Rt1 most of the way. I'm in no rush most days.
I come down east by way of the airline, but I usually go back by way of route 1.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post

yes, and if you forget to get on Rt. 3 in Ellsworth, you may end up in Washington County.

To Take Rt. 1 from Ellsworth to Portland (or vice versa) or beyond and be able to enjoy the trip means allowing yourself AT LEAST 8 hours in my experienced opinion. There are many places that will catch your attention along the way and you will want to stop and do a little shopping or exploring. You can whiz by everything to save time, but if you're going to do that, might as well go to Bangor and get on 95 and head south.

If heading north stay on 95, then take 295 north and get back on 95 (or take 295 through Portland if you can take time to slow down a bit)....speed on up to Bangor and eat at Dysart's.....or get on Rt. 3 in Augusta, hook up with Route 1 in Belfast, stop at Fort Knox (Bucksport), maybe the Observatory, cross the bridges, get an ice cream and walk along the riverfront path (journey vs. destination, ya know), visit Colonel Buck's rather unique tombstone across from Hannaford in Bucksport....head on up Rt. 1 to Ellsworth.

If you use I295 from Portland to Augusta, then I95 to Bangor, then I395 to 1A, you should be able to make it from Portland to Ellsworth in 2-2.5 hours. It's about 100 miles from Augusta to Ellsworth (fewer miles if you take Rt. 3 to Belfast); if you can take advantage of the section of the interstate with 70 mph speed limit, it may shorten the trip a bit. I recently drove from Kennebunk to Ellsworth in 3 hours for the first time in my life (not my first time to make the drive, but the first time to make it in that short a time). I was careful not to go over the speed limit. I was more interested in destination rather than journey that particular day.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-16-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM

346 posts, read 786,019 times
It just took me nearly 3 days to cut my grass, a full week is cutting the trip short.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
It just took me nearly 3 days to cut my grass, a full week is cutting the trip short.
You have grass? Here it's clumping together dead and turning into tumbleweed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine