Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

I'm studying the Maine map and realizing how close, as the crow flies, Maine is to Canada specifically Quebec City. I have a Montreal background.

1. What's the shortest way to get from any point in mid-Maine to QC? Any major roads through the mtns of Western Maine, and if so, what do you come out on on the Canadian side - more mtns?

2. Is there a large French cultural influence in Maine, esp Northern Maine? The name Presque Isle is French, are there many French folks living there?

3. Do Mainers often go over the boarder into Canada? and typically where? Is there a good social exchange between French Canadians and Mainers?

4. Do you need a passport or will some kind of ID suffice?

Thanks for any interesting comments ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,901,545 times
Route 201 is pretty much the only direct way from central Maine to QC. You come out to small towns in Quebec.
There is a huge French presence in northern Maine. Many people (especially in the St. John Valley) speak French.
Folks in northern Maine go "over across" all the time. The two sides are as close as can be. The only other place I can think of that does this is the Calais area, although not as much with the strong U.S. dollar.
Passports are required now, I believe. Or soon will be.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,472 times
Yes, a passport is now required to enter Canada - as of 2009, I believe.

Route 201 is the major route linking Quebec to Maine - a route that many French-Canadians traveled when they immigrated to Maine's mill towns over a century ago. The landscape is noticeably different when crossing over the border on this route. While the Maine portion traverses deep woods and mountains, the Canadian side is flatter, dotted with villages, and more heavily cultivated. The soil in the St. Lawrence River Valley is more conducive to agriculture.

While many, many people in southern and central Maine trace their ancestry back to immigrants from Quebec - especially in mill towns like Biddeford, Lewiston, Waterville, etc. - the strongest links today with the French-speaking world are in far northern Maine in the St. John Valley. Certain towns along the northern border (e.g. Madawaksa, Frenchville, etc.) have more people whose first language is French than English. However, the dialect and culture of this region is distinct from that of the Québécois who immigrated to points further south. The culture of the St. John Valley is Acadian, that is, the French-speaking culture of the Canadian Maritimes (most notably in New Brunswick). The Acadians who were driven out of this area by the British following the French and Indian War and traveled to Louisiana became known as Cajuns (itself a corruption of the word Acadians), and many cultural links still exist between these two distant areas of the United States.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Yes, a passport is now required to enter Canada - as of 2009, I believe.

Route 201 is the major route linking Quebec to Maine - a route that many French-Canadians traveled when they immigrated to Maine's mill towns over a century ago. The landscape is noticeably different when crossing over the border on this route. While the Maine portion traverses deep woods and mountains, the Canadian side is flatter, dotted with villages, and more heavily cultivated. The soil in the St. Lawrence River Valley is more conducive to agriculture.

While many, many people in southern and central Maine trace their ancestry back to immigrants from Quebec - especially in mill towns like Biddeford, Lewiston, Waterville, etc. - the strongest links today with the French-speaking world are in far northern Maine in the St. John Valley. Certain towns along the northern border (e.g. Madawaksa, Frenchville, etc.) have more people whose first language is French than English. However, the dialect and culture of this region is distinct from that of the Québécois who immigrated to points further south. The culture of the St. John Valley is Acadian, that is, the French-speaking culture of the Canadian Maritimes (most notably in New Brunswick). The Acadians who were driven out of this area by the British following the French and Indian War and traveled to Louisiana became known as Cajuns (itself a corruption of the word Acadians), and many cultural links still exist between these two distant areas of the United States.
Fascinating, thanks. When I look at the Maine map i'm always stunned to see how most of it juts up and parallels Canada.

What is Route 201 like, is it a well maintained highway? How many hours' drive say from Bangor to Quebec City?

Any good history books on the Acadian culture?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Just over two hours from Bangor to Quebec City. I used to work up there. Canadians don't care about your passport. It's getting back into the U. S. and dealing with Homeland Security where you need a passport. From Bangor just go up Route 15 to Abbott and across to Bingham on Route 16 where you meet Route 201. Watch out for the moose on Routes 16 and 201.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Roger that can't be right. It's 230 miles from Bangor to Quebec City, with no highway driving. Mapquest gives a driving time of over 5 hours (plus time at the border).

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Sorry, make that NMLM!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Roger that can't be right. It's 230 miles from Bangor to Quebec City, with no highway driving. Mapquest gives a driving time of over 5 hours (plus time at the border).
Sounds more like it, thanks all.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd72 View Post
It is courteous and a matter of respect to speak their language. You would not speak British English to Americans, now would you?
Eh... you would if you were raised speaking British English. Nobody expects you to speak exactly the same dialect as your interlocutor. It's only polite to familiarize yourself with some of the vocabulary and expressions unique to North American French (which, in turn, can vary significantly between, say, Quebec City and the St. John Valley). But North American French speakers will still understand you 99% of the time if you speak European French.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd72 View Post
It is courteous and a matter of respect to speak their language. You would not speak British English to Americans, now would you?
I heard a lot of French while shopping in Calais yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine