Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my husband and I are thinking about coming up next Friday and I'd like to hear if there's anything going on during the holiday weekend. This is the area I am considering:

Are there any notable events or festivals going on in this area? If not my husband and I may just camp near Acadia or spend time at the beach in one of the shore towns. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
2 hours up the road in Eastport (I know, out of the range) is the Salmon Festival. If you're into art and salmon, it's an option. The Pirate Festival is the weekend after. More lively crowd and goings-on. Just a thought

2012 Schedule | Eastport Salmon Festival

http://eastportpiratefestival.com/

Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 AM

52 posts, read 85,876 times
I second the Salmon Festival in Eastport for Labor Day. We went a few years ago and had such a great time we ended up visiting Eastport twice more. We eventually bought a little house there to fix up and enjoy as often as we can get away. There are great places to stay and it's a beautiful spot.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
We also have a house in Eastport and we are heading to Eastport on Thursday to enjoy the Salmon and the Pirate Festivals.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
2 hours up the road in Eastport (I know, out of the range) is the Salmon Festival. If you're into art and salmon, it's an option. The Pirate Festival is the weekend after. More lively crowd and goings-on. Just a thought

2012 Schedule | Eastport Salmon Festival

Eastport Pirate Festival
That looks like a lot of fun! Unfortunately that's a 10 hour drive for us and we were looking to keep the drive to 4.5-7 hours.

If there's nothing else major going on a little bit further south, are there any towns with sugar white sand and waves that are nice for relaxing? We're pretty burnt out on York after going there year after year and we'd like to see more beach towns in the Freeport to MDI region. We've never been to Boothbay Harbor or Penobscot Bay. We've also never stayed at a Maine lake and we're open to that as long as families aren't on top of each other to be near the water.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Default a world of Lakes in Maine

Too bad you won't be here "this" week-end the 24th - 26th as the huge American Folk Festival is on in Bangor and in Brunswick there is the Air Show "The Thunderbirds" - however you can't go wrong with a stay in Ogunquit where there is a great beach, theater and tons of great restaurants - my favorite being "Barnicle Billy's". Ogunquit offers free trolley service so you won't have to keep paying to park your car if you are in a local - on rt 1 - campground or motel. Also if you love beautiful gardens The Oceanside Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay are spectacular. Boothbay also offers great shops, restaurants and most any kind of boat ride you might want. I had lived in Maine for years before actually staying in Ogunquit and can't believe we waited so long. Have a great time where ever you choose to go but don't forget to make a reservation as Labor Day weekend fills up fast.

I just saw where you are open to go to a lake. My very favorite lakes in Maine are Rangeley Lake and Saddleback Mt. and Moosehead Lake near Greenville... But I think either of those would be a bit far for you from CT if you are just planning to stay a couple days. Keep those in mind if you ever come up for a week. Some like Sebago Lake outside Portland but it is bit crowded for my taste. There are other lakes out Rt 302 West of Portland such as Long Lake in Bridgton.

If you are up to coming as far north as Camden there are lots of boating options there too and just a few miles out of the village there is Lake Megunticook. Good swimming there but I am not familiar enough to know of campgrounds.. Google might be helpful with that information.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 08-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Too bad you won't be here "this" week-end the 24th - 26th as the huge American Folk Festival is on in Bangor and in Brunswick there is the Air Show "The Thunderbirds" - however you can't go wrong with a stay in Ogunquit where there is a great beach, theater and tons of great restaurants - my favorite being "Barnicle Billy's". Ogunquit offers free trolley service so you won't have to keep paying to park your car if you are in a local - on rt 1 - campground or motel. Also if you love beautiful gardens The Oceanside Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay are spectacular. Boothbay also offers great shops, restaurants and most any kind of boat ride you might want. I had lived in Maine for years before actually staying in Ogunquit and can't believe we waited so long. Have a great time where ever you choose to go but don't forget to make a reservation as Labor Day weekend fills up fast.

I just saw where you are open to go to a lake. My very favorite lakes in Maine are Rangeley Lake and Saddleback Mt. and Moosehead Lake near Greenville... But I think either of those would be a bit far for you from CT if you are just planning to stay a couple days. Keep those in mind if you ever come up for a week. Some like Sebago Lake outside Portland but it is bit crowded for my taste. There are other lakes out Rt 302 West of Portland such as Long Lake in Bridgton.

If you are up to coming as far north as Camden there are lots of boating options there too and just a few miles out of the village there is Lake Megunticook. Good swimming there but I am not familiar enough to know of campgrounds.. Google might be helpful with that information.
I would have loved the Folk Festival; I'm sorry I missed it. (Relatively close to where I live we have the Pickin' and Fiddlin' Contest. It's a hoot.) When we stay in York we always take a walk around Perkins Cove. When we got married in Maine we even took a boat out of Perkins Cove and sailed around Nubble Light! My mother can't say enough good things about Barnacle Billy's lobster rolls. Haha. I'll take a closer look into visiting Boothbay and keep the lakes in mind for a longer vacation.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
This is the big happening in Hancock County for Labor Day: The Official Blue Hill Fair Web Site
Blue Hill is (usually) less than 45 minutes from Bar Harbor (about 20 from both Ellsworth and Bucksport). If you continue down the Blue Hill Peninsula, you can find some boat tours of Penobscot Bay out of Stonington, at the southern tip of Deer Isle. I believe there are also some tour boats running out of Castine, but am not sure. There are some accommodations on Alamoosook Lake (Orland), Toddy Pond (Orland), and Patten Pond (Ellsworth), ranging from B and B's to campgrounds.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
This is the big happening in Hancock County for Labor Day: The Official Blue Hill Fair Web Site
Blue Hill is (usually) less than 45 minutes from Bar Harbor (about 20 from both Ellsworth and Bucksport). If you continue down the Blue Hill Peninsula, you can find some boat tours of Penobscot Bay out of Stonington, at the southern tip of Deer Isle. I believe there are also some tour boats running out of Castine, but am not sure. There are some accommodations on Alamoosook Lake (Orland), Toddy Pond (Orland), and Patten Pond (Ellsworth), ranging from B and B's to campgrounds.
I will very seriously think about this. I have always wanted to see pig racing and I never had a chance to see Timber Tina's Lumberjack Show during the times I've visited Acadia. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
There are supposed to be two cruise ships in Bar Harbor on Sept. 2-- Maasdam from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept. 2 and Independence from 7 a.m. on Sept. 2 to 7 a.m. on Sept. 3 in case you're interested...

Blue Hill Fair...The Disc-Connected K9s are good too. I saw them last year at the Blue Hill Fair. I'm pretty sure all the dogs are rescued dogs....and very talented. I enjoy watching the sheep dogs also.....gotta LOVE the entire Blue Hill Fair....great people, animals, events, food--homemade blueberry pie, seafood, sub sandwiches, Maine red hotdogs, fresh cut french fries (look for the place with the long lines--King and Queen I think is their name) and other yummy items.

There's a nice beach Pemaquid Beach - Maine Office of Tourism near the Pemaquid Point lighthouse if you have time to fit it in on the drive up or back. Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, Maine at Lighthousefriends.com The Official Maine State Quarter - The US50

Looking ahead to the future when you have more time...there are more than 2,000 ponds and lakes in Maine and not all of them are crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine