Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times

Advertisements

Insurance business pay well? I was thinking about it. I always see State Farm, Liberty looking for agents. Hard to start out?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Insurance business pay well? I was thinking about it. I always see State Farm, Liberty looking for agents. Hard to start out?

I was a licensed agent in WV for better than 30 years and even taught the 40 hours of study to be able to sit for the licensing exam. When we got ready to establish residency in Maine, I had my license transferred there. They did the required background check with the Insurance Dept. here and since I had never had a complaint against me, it transferred easily. I don't know what the rules are in Maine to sit for each exam. There are 3 exams which require 40 hours of instruction each to sit for each one. Life & Health, Property& Casualty and Commercial Lines. I have all 3.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
There are 3 exams which require 40 hours of instruction each to sit for each one. Life & Health, Property& Casualty and Commercial Lines. I have all 3.
AKKK!!! one MORE reason that I am not considering this career path! LOL I admire anyone who has the determination (and stomach) to sit through -- not to mention learning -- it all.

Some of my best friends are agents (yes, in truth... BC/BS... and just listening to their fussing as they try to determine IF and HOW they can have a website for their business gives me a headache. They have been at it for several years now... I will likely get their business when the get the rules figured out.. but by this time I am not sure I want it! <g> Not sure if I even want to get this close to the field.)

Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 AM

44 posts, read 102,014 times
Default Extra income: freelance transcription

In the midcoast area I did freelance medical and historical archive transcription (along with other technical and business services). The historical transcription part was working at home typing up old diaries and letters into MS Word for people so they could share them with their families and local historical societies. I charged a higher fee if they needed the work done quickly and a lesser fee if there wasn't a deadline. For medical transcription, I hired myself out as an onsite per diem transcriptionist. If I wasn't available on a certain day, I would let them know a week ahead of time. It paid my catastrophic-only coverage health insurance premium, I could make my own hours. I would do it again.

Doing your own self-employed taxes isn't that hard either especially using TurboTax. I used Quickbooks to manage my books.

I know many people who are doing decently on $10-15K/year. Caretaking jobs can be really good but in some areas are harder to get than others. On the islands, they're passed from one generation to another unless you happen to know someone. It's a way to live in a beautiful place year round.

I think in Maine it helps to be good at many things, appreciate the simple life and be involved in your community. The rewards are great.

8 days to go until I move back - can't wait!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Tips look better than last year's. They were so yellow I had a hard time finding enough excellent quality tips. I stopped doing wholesale so I'm selling my wreath machine. I can't figure out how to use the machine with 32" wreaths (finished size) faster than I can do it by hand. I'll end up with Popeye forearms by the end of November but that's ok. I kind of miss the mass production already. When I work on the sunporch the house smells like Christmas. When I'm in the greenhouse it turns into a wreath house with lines of poles on one side and stacks of wreaths on the benches. It was even fun to load the box trucks when they backed in. Now we back into the post office, unload and go back later to write the check. Tis almost the season! Just need a few below freezing nights now to set the waxy coating.

I've never worked with princess pine. I looked at some this fall and thought about trying something with it. I make florist face 32" wreaths wreaths with cedar and pine tucked in. Maybe I'll tuck some princess and see what that looks like. Hmmmmm....

I'm self employed. My greenhouse will start producing in February. That's followed by sales from the seedling house, followed by increased produce sales into mid December. About the time produce slows down it's time to start making wreaths. I'll have 6-8 weeks off in winter. That's when I'll find some courage to send a couple of books to an editor and then have anxiety attacks until I get the replies. It's also when I'll do some copyrighting for a few clients. I'll be putting their 2009 literature together.
I really envy your lifestyle. Maybe someday I can convince my DW to move from here where we are constantly scrutinized for doing anything that can be seen from the road including having animals and gardens and get into a small farm business.....

Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Ebay....I made good money on eBay for about 10 years with tubes, tube radios, and circuit boards for tube stereos and amplifiers. Sources dried up, though I still have a pretty good cache of tubes to get rid of someday. Lots of antique ones!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
....I'll have 6-8 weeks off in winter. That's when I'll find some courage to send a couple of books to an editor and then have anxiety attacks until I get the replies....
Maineah, thank you for quoting MWs post...otherwise I would not have spotted this....

Peachie! do you see this? Ahem, MW, the problem with putting things in print is that people (wonder who?) will hold you to it!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I really envy your lifestyle. Maybe someday I can convince my DW to move from here where we are constantly scrutinized for doing anything that can be seen from the road including having animals and gardens and get into a small farm business.....
I don't have neighbors in sight. I can hear the neighbors' dogs barking 1/4 mile up the road. They're the closest. The others are too far away to hear. We had neighbors 1/10th of a mile down the other side but the moose and deer in her yard were freaking her out. They just moved to Gorham.

Nobody cares what anyone else does out here as long as we're responsible. I did get a fire permit this year. It was the first one in 11 years. We were having a huge bonfire for our 15 year old's birthday. I didn't want to push it on a fire that large. We own 45 acres. It's posted for my protection because I work outside and I tip (balsam tips for Christmas wreaths) and we do live in the woods, but if you come to the door and ask I'll let you hunt. As for farming, it's a lot of fun. I just packed a truck load of vegetables. They'll be delivered tomorrow. I fret and worry about quality and mumble to myself while my market person tells me everything is fine and talks about next year's plans. Fret, worry, hot, sweaty - I love it.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Maineah, thank you for quoting MWs post...otherwise I would not have spotted this....

Peachie! do you see this? Ahem, MW, the problem with putting things in print is that people (wonder who?) will hold you to it!
Your memory is too good! It's my winter plan. My plans for winter were changed when we decided to sell our other house and buy more land. While I wait for the house to sell I need to do something. I'm going to spend the winter writing and I will send "the" book to a publisher.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
recording thread title and page for future reference.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine