Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,552,882 times

Advertisements

This will be the 5th consecutive day of ice of trees and ice on "everything". I'm beginning to feel the frustration. I'm sure there are many that are much worse ofg and without power. We have had power so I do feel greatful for that. Christmas Day was weirdest I can ever remember. We actually had spagetti and meatballs for dinner - long story but happy we stayed warm and dry. Going to attempt to go out today, but it's a challenge to get to the car from the house with an inch of ice coating every thing. There is only so much sanding and salting can do. Salt won't help until the temps rise a bit. 3" to 5" of snow expected on top of that later today. I guess it's just going to be one of those winters we'll remember.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 12-26-2013 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,558 times
I am sorry my friend. Please be careful during your sortie out. Ice is a very difficult surface to drive on as you well know. I would rather drive in 12 inches of snow than a coating of ice.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:38 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,664,903 times
Weather is different every year. Its what makes new england, new england. If I wanted sunny and 85 degrees everyday without any variation, I'd move to Los Angeles, CA

Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
We enjoy how it is different each year.

Yesterday we invited some other couples over for supper [folks with no local children that would otherwise have spent the day alone] We had shrimp, clam chowder, crab cakes, salmon, tilapia, shrimp spring rolls, and cheese cake. It was great

Now it is snowing again.

Be careful on the ice.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 AM

114 posts, read 136,525 times
Default Well said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Weather is different every year. Its what makes new england, new england. If I wanted sunny and 85 degrees everyday without any variation, I'd move to Los Angeles, CA
Living over here in L.A. the weather is beyond boring. No real seasons. I'd love to be holed up in my house with a fire and snow and ice outside. Cherish your seasons my friend.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 AM

642 posts, read 1,257,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Living over here in L.A. the weather is beyond boring. No real seasons. I'd love to be holed up in my house with a fire and snow and ice outside. Cherish your seasons my friend.
The fire is nice but a toilet full of.........for five days, not so much

Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM

534 posts, read 905,531 times
Living in alabamastan has it's perks...one really looks forward to the mere thought of a "day" snowed in. It does occasionally snow, but it retreats quickly. As a Mainer in Exile here in alabamastan, I vividly recall the long crawl of winter. Placing pencil marks on the wall to have PROOF that the days were getting longer; with that the retreat of the darkness of winter in Maine.

Yet here we are...a day after festivus. Temps near 60, abundant sunshine for all. I do feel your inner weather angst, especially with each year of aging that I accumulate.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:53 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
This will be the 5th consecutive day of ice of trees and ice on "everything". I'm beginning to feel the frustration. I'm sure there are many that are much worse ofg and without power. We have had power so I do feel greatful for that. Christmas Day was weirdest I can ever remember. We actually had spagetti and meatballs for dinner - long story but happy we stayed warm and dry. Going to attempt to go out today, but it's a challenge to get to the car from the house with an inch of ice coating every thing. There is only so much sanding and salting can do. Salt won't help until the temps rise a bit. 3" to 5" of snow expected on top of that later today. I guess it's just going to be one of those winters we'll remember.
This poster made me smile, recalling a story circulated a while back, regarding a newly transplanted family, moving to Maine, corresponding with family about their new found homestead...it went something like this:

October 15: Woke up today to a fresh blanket of white, glistening snow...it is sooo beautiful...kids are making snow people...the snow plow driver is sooo friendly...every time I see him (4 times today) he smiles and waves...people are so friendly....let it snow...let it snow....

December 15: Still snowing...we are guaranteed a "white Christmas"...definite Currier and Ives scene...snow plow driver has endless energy...he is so nice !

February 15: It never ends...freeking clown with the rust bucket and big blade just filled the driveway again...every time I see him...I give him the bird...he scowls and gives it right back...thank God the liquor store delivers...!

March 15: One more stupid snow person on my property and I am breaking out the baseball bat...enough is enough...snow plow idiot must have a kid in Harvard...and I am paying their tuition...

November 1: We just LOVE Florida...sunshine every day...the sunsets are to kill for...can't wait for it to rain........sometimes ya just gotta smile !

Old 12-26-2013, 12:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
The fire is nice but a toilet full of.........for five days, not so much
That's why some of us set aside water in several buckets ahead of time when any sizable storm is predicted.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM

642 posts, read 1,257,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
That's why some of us set aside water in several buckets ahead of time when any sizable storm is predicted.
Did that. Ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine