Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Re: self-insuring. I hope that means just property and not liability. One person slips on your walk, and they could end up owning your house if there's no liability coverage.
The razor wire, guardhouse and bulls keep anyone from coming on the property.

I keep everything "owned" by different entities. LLC and rent back, revocable and irrevocable trusts, etc. Good luck suing me. Liability insurance is probably a good idea, but the scavenger insurance companies now dictate what you can have for animals (or make you PAY them for the honor of having animals). We're losing all our freedoms for profit! That must be a perplexing conundrum for some people. My god, now I'm starting to sound like you know who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post

After this past winter, I'd have to say an attached garage is a retirement home must. Not sure how you'd do it with a mobile home, but it bears consideration.
A lot of people just put up a car port next to the trailer, never seen one with a garage.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 PM

332 posts, read 504,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
A lot of people just put up a car port next to the trailer, never seen one with a garage.
Say what? The MLS listings for Maine are replete with them. A majority have garages. Many have nice BIG multi-purpose garages.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
I think what woxy is saying is a trailer with an ATTACHED garage. After this past winter of damn cold and deep snow, I think a retiree's attached garage is a good consideration.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I find amusement driving around the country-side looking at how many Mobile Homes have collapsed each year [due to the weight of snowload].

Some people will build a pole barn [just pole and roof, no walls] over their mobile home to protect it from snow load.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Pros to Mobile Home: Cost
Cons to Mobile Home: Everything else.

Sorry, but it's that simple.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM

332 posts, read 504,992 times
Uh, I think I got my answer(s).

Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
I am interested in buying a home that is already in place on property that is a part of the deal.

Such as this one, but cheaper:

329 Searsmont Road, Lincolnville ME - Trulia

That one is really beautiful, foglover!

I don't live in a mobile home, but I've considered one as a getaway. When you have a budget, you make due with what options are available.

There are mobile home dealers that specialize in parts replacements.

In terms of financing, there are companies that do finance mobile homes. Most that sit on a permanent foundation on your own land, can be financed along with the land.

Newer ones are not "death traps" and they are built under very stringent codes.

I have a very old home, which I love. Taking care of it and keeping up with repairs is not easy. With a budget of under $100,000 the OP is going to end up with a fixer upper home that will most likely be a money pit and a major PIA, diverting her from her hobbies.

I happen to think that a MH on it's own land, is a better choice for someone on a strict budget.

Good luck finding your dream home!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
... With a budget of under $100,000 the OP is going to end up with a fixer upper home that will most likely be a money pit and a major PIA, diverting her from her hobbies.

I happen to think that a MH on it's own land, is a better choice for someone on a strict budget.

Good luck finding your dream home!
I am not so sure about that.

I bought 42 acres with river frontage; built a 2400 sq ft house; we hope to be off-grid [solar powered] this year; so far we have not spent $100k.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,424 times
Anything can be done in Maine. You can budget $20-25k for a lot including septic, electric and well with a hard packed dirt road driveway. Build a small stick built home with lofts or just buy a manufactured house. Mobiles are a good choice to start with because you can build onto them later and your taxes will stay low.

Garages can be built as large as your vehicles and toys can hold. Close to the house so that a breezeway or mudroom can enclose the two later.

I have an uncle in Skowhegan who started with a mobile home but kept adding onto it over the years. It's like the Winchester Mystery House now. Now he has a collection of old tractors and has built a separate garage just for them. His other garage is a workshop.

My other uncle on the same property just graduated from a tar paper shack that he built 30+ years ago to a used single wide mobile home that he bought furnished for $6K.

My brother has an acre lot with a very long single wide on it that he bought used for under $8k. It is a 3 bedroom and 2 bath too. He had already developed the lot years earlier where he put in the septic, well and very large concrete pad for a much larger mobile home that fell through. Thankfully, he didn't buy that very large new mobile home which was around 1500 square feet and over $90k. Now, his total monthly payment for the home, lot and taxes is under $370. a month. He is saving to build a garage. Here's his place...

This place needed all new carpeting/flooring and paint. It has oil heat and is very efficient says my brother. Although he is kind of cheap and will keep the thermostat low.

All that everyone else said about mobile homes, manufactured homes and trailers is true. They aren't for everyone but seem to work well for the few people above.

That brings me to another subject. All my brothers and sisters and parents (when they were alive that is) were considered a little eccentric out here in California. But when back home in Dover, Mainers here on CD seem to think I'm normal. Well, maybe normal is a stretch for any Mainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine