Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Thermostat?

No thermostats here.

We have windows open and a window fan running 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
No thermostat here either.. took the window fans out last night as the temp had already dropped into the 50's. Very odd for July in Ohio, but I'm liking it!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I don't like it.

Many of the native weeds are loving this weather, they have shot up high and a lot of our land is like a jungle now.

The ground is saturated with water, so it is hard to get any work done with our tractor. Wet soil makes huge deep ruts, and if you go back over the ground a second time it turns to gooey mud. I get stuck a lot.

I planted 23 fruit trees this spring. A few of them are doing fine. But most are not. The wetness and mild temps are really stunting their growth, the tiny 'spring time' leaves have partly opened but the real leaves have not came out yet. Without any visible growth happening, I am concerned.

Our bees seem to be doing, .. well okay, I guess. Many days it is too wet and humid for them to get outside and fly. I think they are spending more time cleaning their hives then working on pollen. They can not get out very often. There seems to be very little nectar flow this year. They will likely not have enough honey to carry them through the coming winter.

Oddly our mosquitoes are not bad at all this year. Considering the weather, you would think they would be thick as pea soup, and very hungry. But really they are kind of light this year. I have done some abatement, so maybe that accounts for the low skeeter count.

No thermostat here, just window fans.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
We can't even get rain.. our flower beds are resembling concrete more than dirt.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
We can't even get rain.. our flower beds are resembling concrete more than dirt.
Ditto here....monsoon season is late this year and we are dry as parchment.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM

3,257 posts, read 922,232 times
in NH its about 73F for really muggy days.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,804 times
It is in the off position, 80 to 90 this week.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
It is in the off position, 80 to 90 this week.
We have had two warm days this summer.....that's it. It didn't quite make 80 the other day as promised by the weathermen. Now were back in to the rain again!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM

164 posts, read 353,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I don't like it.

Many of the native weeds are loving this weather, they have shot up high and a lot of our land is like a jungle now.

The ground is saturated with water, so it is hard to get any work done with our tractor. Wet soil makes huge deep ruts, and if you go back over the ground a second time it turns to gooey mud. I get stuck a lot.

I planted 23 fruit trees this spring. A few of them are doing fine. But most are not. The wetness and mild temps are really stunting their growth, the tiny 'spring time' leaves have partly opened but the real leaves have not came out yet. Without any visible growth happening, I am concerned.

Our bees seem to be doing, .. well okay, I guess. Many days it is too wet and humid for them to get outside and fly. I think they are spending more time cleaning their hives then working on pollen. They can not get out very often. There seems to be very little nectar flow this year. They will likely not have enough honey to carry them through the coming winter.

Oddly our mosquitoes are not bad at all this year. Considering the weather, you would think they would be thick as pea soup, and very hungry. But really they are kind of light this year. I have done some abatement, so maybe that accounts for the low skeeter count.

No thermostat here, just window fans.
Forest, so sorry to hear about your trees and honey, hope it gets better for you... honey bees are so needed for so many things, hope yours get the necter they need. Our goal is to have a family orchard and we need bees for that. Will try to send some sun your way.
We are spending all our money on air conditioning, way to hot here

Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

3,257 posts, read 922,232 times
I have the heat on today to 74F, its raining and raw. It also pours like cats and dogs.

Usually I have the air set at 73F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine