Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:20 AM

35 posts, read 44,033 times

Advertisements

Hahaha, that's funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
East Millinocket is where the party is at!
Actually, the "party" is all over Maine. You'll get what I mean soon after you arrive.

Quote:
I mean for them to move to Maine and rent BELOW the Connecticut price while getting a BARN and a HOUSE WITH ACREAGE. I have no idea how you could get all of that for the range of $900/mo.
It's called "tree growth". That is, if you agree to not develop the land--to just let the "trees grow"--you can get the land for dirt cheap. Taxes on the land will be ridiculously low, too. I believe that in order to get the deal you are limited to 1/10th of land for development. So, for example, if you want one acre for your house, barn, shed, and so on you have to buy 10 acres.

This one of the reasons why Maine is so popular with retirees... ...way more bang for the buck (pun intended).

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM

631 posts, read 749,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Actually, the "party" is all over Maine. You'll get what I mean soon after you arrive.

It's called "tree growth". That is, if you agree to not develop the land--to just let the "trees grow"--you can get the land for dirt cheap. Taxes on the land will be ridiculously low, too. I believe that in order to get the deal you are limited to 1/10th of land for development. So, for example, if you want one acre for your house, barn, shed, and so on you have to buy 10 acres.

This one of the reasons why Maine is so popular with retirees... ...way more bang for the buck (pun intended).
Yes the Chinese put the paper mills out of business, I have already read plenty about it and visited the Katahdin region multiple times. Thank you for your condescending superiority. East Millinocket is still a great town and you won't change my opinion about it.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
... It's called "tree growth". That is, if you agree to not develop the land--to just let the "trees grow"--you can get the land for dirt cheap. Taxes on the land will be ridiculously low, too. I believe that in order to get the deal you are limited to 1/10th of land for development. So, for example, if you want one acre for your house, barn, shed, and so on you have to buy 10 acres.

Any parcel of land larger than 10 acres can be put into 'Treegrowth'. If you had 100 acres of land; you could put all of it into treegrowth, or any portion thereof [10 acres, 20 acres, etc].

One of our parcels of land is 42 acres, we took 1 acre out of treegrowth for our house. I am not aware of any limit on how much of this land we could remove from treegrowth. We could take 32 acres out of treegrowth leaving only 10 acres to remain in treegrowth. The smallest size of land that can be in treegrowth is 10 acres.

The real limiting factor is that you must pay a penalty on each acre of land that you remove from treegrowth.

In our case, the penalty for removing 1 acre was close to the fair market price of that acre.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Any parcel of land larger than 10 acres can be put into 'Treegrowth'. If you had 100 acres of land; you could put all of it into treegrowth, or any portion thereof [10 acres, 20 acres, etc].

One of our parcels of land is 42 acres, we took 1 acre out of treegrowth for our house. I am not aware of any limit on how much of this land we could remove from treegrowth. We could take 32 acres out of treegrowth leaving only 10 acres to remain in treegrowth. The smallest size of land that can be in treegrowth is 10 acres.

The real limiting factor is that you must pay a penalty on each acre of land that you remove from tree growth.

In our case, the penalty for removing 1 acre was close to the fair market price of that acre.
Yeah, I don't know exactly how it works except that you pay the penalty if you take the acreage out of tree growth. But I do believe that I got the idea that you could only build on 1/10th of the land from you...circa 2008/2009 or so... Either way, it was through your postings years ago that I became aware of "tree growth".

Quote:
Yes the Chinese put the paper mills out of business, I have already read plenty about it and visited the Katahdin region multiple times. Thank you for your condescending superiority. East Millinocket is still a great town and you won't change my opinion about it.
I never mentioned anything about paper mills or the Chinese ownership of such and have you ever thought that perhaps the paper industry is in decline because of a prevalence of email, online media, and practically all businesses and universities/schools going paperless?

Nor am I going to challenge your insults.

I also never said that East Millinocket was not a great town, and you know that.

You know, I never responded to your other post in the Bangor subforum, but for the record:

1. I love Maine. I have no desire to change it. In fact, when I lived in Maine I refrained from voting in political seats, tax increases/decreases, potential legislation, etc. because I knew that I was "from away" and felt it was not my place to "dictate" how the locals live, be governed, or taxed, etc. I did vote on a few things though. You are free to search my posting history to pre-2010 (last time I "went to the polls" in Maine) to see that this is true. Or just search through older posts in this forum.

30 years from now, yeah, I'd probably cast a vote for the Governor of Maine. But I no longer live here.

I would only mention that I was from California if asked and as far as most I met knew, I was 'from' Portland because that is what my Maine DL said. I mean, unless it came up I never introduced myself as a Californian nor as someone who was not from Maine. I was just some dude meeting someone new at that particular point in time.

2. I moved out of Maine only because a family issue that had nothing to do with Maine forced my hand and my move out. Otherwise I'd still be happily living here. I think about moving back every day; ironically, to the Bangor area. Fact #2: I almost made a trip to Maine in 2013 just to renew my Maine DL. I feel more of a connection to Maine and would rather have people think I am from Maine but alas, I ended up getting a Maryland DL.

3. I did not move to Maine for the reasons people generally cite: to get away from crime, the hustle and bustle, "those people", low COL, and so forth. I moved to Maine because I am a little too independent and self-reliant for city life, I have no desire to "keep up with the Joneses", prefer a slower pace of life, like to live simply, love the mountains and the ocean and the quiet, like firearms, and that Maine generally agrees with me despite what you may think of me or my politics. Yup, I have opinions, but I mostly only express them in these forums. With few exceptions, I keep my opinions largely to myself in real life unless specifically asked.

However, the purpose of this forum is relocation amongst other things. The old guard of the Maine forum seem to largely be gone these days and seem to have been replaced by those of a more political or venting bend. Maine is awesome, but Maine can also be difficult and has an underside that many seem to sweep under the rug or blame Massachusetts for.

Take what you want with my postings but one thing is for sure; you will see the realities of Maine first hand--the good, the bad, and the ugly--that people seem reluctant to discuss in these forums these days. As I mentioned in another thread to you, I am only offering you a heads up from one Californian to another. Also if you recall, I did mention previously that coming from Modesto you should fit in nicely with the Bangor area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine