Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 04:16 AM

428 posts, read 555,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
We will know if you are right about that January 21, 2017.
We have a dictator now - whether his reign ends on January 21, 2017 or not.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
Saw more news on Maine's proposal to allowed concealed carry this morning on WABI (Bangor). They said that the new law would simply allow Mainers to carry and wear a jacket over their firearm (without going through the permit process). It said that 100 lawmakers from both sides of the aisle, as well as the state police, have signed on to the deal. The opposition appears to be a group for Maine safe handguns and domestic violence group (do people in Maine use concealed handguns in domestic violence that much?). Anyway I guess the bill is moving forward. Mainers can already carry a handgun openly without a permit. How is this really going to change everything? I heard one of the speakers in the news story say that law enforcement wants to focus more on the people that Maine DOESN'T want owning/carrying firearms and NOT honest citizens.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,205,755 times
That wasn't what I saw. A number of law enforcement people spoke out against it. This is another neocon distraction while Maine's economy circles the toilet, mills close (for economic and not for taxation or regulatory reasons by any stretch of the imagination) and wages and business stagnate in general. The LEO that I heard speak pointed out that a solid percentage of the CC applicants they reviewed were denied for mental, domestic violence or conviction reasons. Completing a training course is also required. This has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. It has to do with "here, stupid, look at my hand over here (snapping fingers) while I do something else (politically) with my other hand over here. You're in our club, right?" It's pure political distraction driven by out of State forces that eventually will want to take away all guns from the public, but for now, they need soldiers to vote for them so they can push their other agenda. To believe otherwise is to believe in the tooth fairy. Maine has required a concealed carry permit since what? 1910? I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, but I don't want to HAVE to carry the .41 Mag simply because a bunch of frothing fools feel its their "right" to conceal a firearm and haul it out and start shooting when they think they're going to "protect" the public. Center of mass is where I'm looking if I see you pull out a gun in public when any of my family is around.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
... Completing a training course is also required.
I think this is a distortion. It is more accurate to say: "Some authorities that issue CCWs may 'require' a training course, for some applicants"

Quote:
... a bunch of frothing fools feel its their "right" to conceal a firearm and haul it out and start shooting ...
Has this been a problem?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Not yet, and that was the point the LEO I saw speaking on the news made. The system has worked for over 100 years for CC, and he felt it weeded out potential problem carriers. That's all. Like I've said before, the idiots that carry their manhood under their armpit into Denny's and think they're going to "protect" me and my family from the bad guys - I feel it is statistically more likely they're going to be the problem rather than the solution. I don't want my grandkids around these people. But the kids will all grow up knowing how to shoot, gut a deer in 2 minutes and butcher it correctly.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
That wasn't what I saw.

You must have watched a different news program than I did. I KNOW what I saw.

I don't want my grandkids around these people.

Then maybe you should move to Massachusetts or New York.

I'm all for the 2nd Amendment,

Yeah, it sure sounds like it alright.

but I don't want to HAVE to carry the .41 Mag simply because a bunch of frothing fools feel its their "right" to conceal a firearm and haul it out and start shooting when they think they're going to "protect" the public.

So I see, anyone that carries concealed besides you is a "frothing fool"...right? With all the concealed carry permits out there now and open carry allowed, have we seen anyone actually break out a firearm and start shooting wildly like you claim? Then why would this make it any different?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 AM

The great thing I've found regarding MOST people from Maine is, right, left or center (most that think and aren't affected by political tripe and propaganda tend toward center), they use common sense. I was born here, know everything North of the Mason/Augusta line, was a Registered Maine Guide, Forester, 100 Ton USCG Ship's Master, grew up with unlocked guns all over the house. I'm finding that it's mostly people from Massachusetts, NY, NJ or PA that have come in that want to come in, changes the 100 year old laws, and concealed carry their manhood under their armpit. Makes 'em feel tough. Frothing fools.

By the way, you clearly DON'T know what you saw.

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/...ore-dangerous/

Old 04-09-2015, 01:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
Not yet, and that was the point the LEO I saw speaking on the news made. The system has worked for over 100 years for CC, and he felt it weeded out potential problem carriers. That's all. Like I've said before, the idiots that carry their manhood under their armpit into Denny's and think they're going to "protect" me and my family from the bad guys - I feel it is statistically more likely they're going to be the problem rather than the solution. I don't want my grandkids around these people. But the kids will all grow up knowing how to shoot, gut a deer in 2 minutes and butcher it correctly.
The cops against changing it have violated the law for years on the procedure, time limits, etc., for issuing concealed weapon permits. They have also routinely violated the civil rights of anyone who open carries in their communities. They lack any credibility as I see it. The state police support the changes, I'd give their opinion more weight as they issue more permits and cover a wider swath of the state. The right now is the same as a poll tax on the right to vote. It discriminates against those who can't afford to pay for a class and license. And it makes it impossible to legally carry in a vehicle without a license.

I think you underestimate how many people simply ignore the law right now. I don't think anything is going to change if the license requirement is gone.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:41 PM

100 years. Discriminates? How much is a Glock 17 these days? How much is a CWP? We used to get them years ago for coon hunting and it didn't cost crap. If it's THAT important to carry a gun, I figure they can afford it. You got a one-trick issue going there that the uber right has glommed onto and commandeered as "their own" and you think they're 100% behind you. As soon as they get their power firmly entrenched, watch out for your guns.

Oh, this passes and I'll carry, no doubt about it, and not because I agree with it whatsoever. You're comparing road apples and oranges.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Quote:
100 years. Discriminates? How much is a Glock 17 these days? How much is a CWP? We used to get them years ago for coon hunting and it didn't cost crap. If it's THAT important to carry a gun, I figure they can afford it. You got a one-trick issue going there that the uber right has glommed onto and commandeered as "their own" and you think they're 100% behind you. As soon as they get their power firmly entrenched, watch out for your guns.

Oh, this passes and I'll carry, no doubt about it, and not because I agree with it whatsoever. You're comparing road apples and oranges.
Slavery was legal for well over 100 years. As was segregation. So what? Gun control generally began for the purpose of discrimination 100 or so years ago. The intent was to disarm immigrants, the poor, and minority races.

There's legal precedent for that position of mine. The end of poll taxes, some of the abortion laws that have been struck down. It's unconstitutional to place an undue burden on the exercise of a civil right.

I've got decent handguns I paid well under $100 for. I have a gun I paid $20 for and did a little gunsmithing to it, that I'd trust it anywhere. It would literally cost several times the price of that $20 gun to legally carry it in a vehicle in ME.

I've seen zero evidence that Maine going back to how it was in the past, and how VT has been for over 200 years, with no license needed to carry concealed, is going to cause any real problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine