Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,982 times

Advertisements

If you haven't read the current editorial in the Ellsworth American and the editorial feature written by Jill Goldthwait regarding the school consolodation fiasco, then you should. You should read this especially if you have children in school or are at all concerned with the cost of living and the cost of property taxes in Maine.

There is a significant political war being waged between those people who hold dear to their souls the concept of local control of such things as education and the Governor's desire to curb expenses that impact all Mainers. Unfortunately what Governor Baldacci has done is tried to cram a one size fits all school scheme down the throats of Mainers, without asking them how to do it or what they want to do.

My own observation is that Governor Baldacci and most of the people sent to the legislature have forgotten that they are sent there to enact the will of the people NOT to rule as though they have suddenly been endowed with some mystical super power. Governor Baldacci especially seems to act as though he was some sort of medieval godfather who can order his minions around, and if they don't like it, they may end up with a horse's head in bed with them.

The educational overhaul that Baldacci seems to think he can cram down everyone's throats, except for the big cities that are not really impacted by it at all, is little but an assault on local control, which is a hallmark of Maine for generations.

In the end it appears that what may happen is that local control will remain, and much of the state's aid to local communities will dry up, in a "you can have it any way you want it. Just pay for it yourselves." political robbing.

What that will likely mean is an overall increase in property taxes, as there seems to sign that the mandates that Augusta is cramming down the educational establishment's throat are going to be fewer or less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
I tend to agree with you. There is a cost to living at the edge of civilization.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,607 times
I think there definitely needs to be cuts in administration. Our school systems have been top heavy for way too long. In most districts there is not a need for assistant superintendents, assistant principals, etc.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
It would be easy to cut many administrative positions if the giant educational bureaucracy in Augusta would just back off on their unfunded mandates.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,645 times
I agree....Cities like Lewiston and Auburn have/will not be affected in the same manner as places that are more rural. But then again.........cities like Lewiston/Auburn who, because of the mere fact they are cities, have a huge social/welfare problem that they have already been tending to IN the schools. The cities "have been" picking up considerable extra costs to education...and our taxes are already high.

Theres a whole debate about wealth redistribution in all of its forms......and what is fair. In this country you have a right (because there is a law that says so) to have a public education....but at what costs. Should my taxes cover the education of a few students who's families choose to live somewhere in the middle of nowhere. (no ref to Ellsworth) I do not know and do not have all the answers. But the working people of this state who already feel they are being robbed through an oppressive tax structure have been pleeding with the state to do something. As usual the gov always cuts where it's going to bleed the most and cause the most uproar.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
I think there definitely needs to be cuts in administration. Our school systems have been top heavy for way too long. In most districts there is not a need for assistant superintendents, assistant principals, etc.
I agree. But then again, I've never lived in "the middle of nowhere" either so I don't know how those particular school districts work.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
From my back yard it's over 40 miles to the next paved road. In fact I could probably snowmobile to MaineWriter's place without crossing a paved road. I know a school where the janitor, special ed tech, cook and bus driver is the same person! Now, that's local efficiency. Augusta would have several people doing those jobs. No, that isn't a private school; it's public.

- - -

Break: Lee Academy girls just won the Eastern Maine Class C Championship. This is their first Class C year after winning the Class D state championship on a regular basis.

- - -

I have a suggestion. Do away with the sales tax and the income tax and we'll pay for our own schools with no state aid from Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine