Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

In Memory of Charleton Heston ...Former President of the NRA....

This question always sparks a debate in newspapers like “The Maine Sportsman”
Everyone has a favorite. This thread is not meant to expound on the virtues of deer hunting or the ethics between bow hunting and rifle or shotgun use. I’m just interested in hearing from people in Maine who do hunt deer and what they prefer for a rifle or shotgun for that purpose.
Back in 1975 when I was 16 I bought (with mom’s help) a Marlin lever action 30-30 rifle. I got my first deer with that rifle and used it for many years. I sold the rifle to my older brother and eventually bought it back…I still have it. For the last several years I have been using a Remington Model 700 DM in .260 Remington caliber. It shoots flat, has a good range, is light to carry, and packs plenty of punch for a Maine deer. It’s too small for Moose but makes for a good all around rifle. Many people prefer the 3006 Springfield caliber. It’s plenty of cartridge for deer and fine for bear and moose if you’re lucky enough to draw a moose permit. Then there are those who like to hunt the pine thickets and alder runs(great places to get a deer I might add). Many of these folks prefer a pump shotgun in 12 gauge. 00 Buckshot or rifled slugs do a good job at close range in heavy cover. What rifle/shotgun do you use for hunting deer in Maine and why do you like it?

Last edited by Maineah; 04-06-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Add in memorium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I use a Savage 110G with a steel bedded action and free floating barrel. It is chambered for .270 Win. It is a real tack driver out to some ungodly ranges. I have a real nice Bushnell 4-12 scope mounted on it and I love the thing.

Of course I also have the Winchester 94 in 30-30 with open iron sights. Or as they say up here "my Turdy-turdy". I have always wanted to pick up a 303 British just so I could say I have a "Tree O' Tree".

The 30-30 gets tossed in when I am going to be in heaver cover and the .270 gets the nod if I am going to be in more open country or fields.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I use a Savage 110G with a steel bedded action and free floating barrel. It is chambered for .270 Win. It is a real tack driver out to some ungodly ranges. I have a real nice Bushnell 4-12 scope mounted on it and I love the thing.

Of course I also have the Winchester 94 in 30-30 with open iron sights. Or as they say up here "my Turdy-turdy". I have always wanted to pick up a 303 British just so I could say I have a "Tree O' Tree".

The 30-30 gets tossed in when I am going to be in heaver cover and the .270 gets the nod if I am going to be in more open country or fields.
Nice choice! 303 British in a nice caliber too. Do you think everyone in Maine owns a 30-30?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Do you think everyone in Maine owns a 30-30?
After reading this question I thought for a moment, and realized that everybody I know that hunts, does have either a Marlin or Winchester 30-30.

My brother loves his Marlin .444 What a fine lever gun that is in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
After reading this question I thought for a moment, and realized that everybody I know that hunts, does have either a Marlin or Winchester 30-30.

My brother loves his Marlin .444 What a fine lever gun that is in my opinion.
Agreed! My brother hunts with another lever action legend..a Model 99 Savage in .300 Savage. That's a fine lever action rifle too. I have the Marlin 336 and a Winchester Model 94 plus my son has another Model 94. That's it for levers.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
[quote=Bydand;3375701] I have a real nice Bushnell 4-12 scope mounted on it and I love the thing.

Of course I'm not in Maine yet...I use a Remington 7400 in 30'06, but it does have that Bushnell 4-12X scope on it! Dollar for dollar, those Bushnell scopes are very nice indeed! The Remington does very well here in RI for deer, which are overpopulated and we rarely have to go 100 yds out for one. You have much bigger spaces up there so an autoloader might not be the best.

When I get up there, I'll let you experts tell me which "turdy-turdy" to buy!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

[quote=Nor'Eastah;3376200]
Quote:
I have a real nice Bushnell 4-12 scope mounted on it and I love the thing.

Of course I'm not in Maine yet...I use a Remington 7400 in 30'06, but it does have that Bushnell 4-12X scope on it! Dollar for dollar, those Bushnell scopes are very nice indeed! The Remington does very well here in RI for deer, which are overpopulated and we rarely have to go 100 yds out for one. You have much bigger spaces up there so an autoloader might not be the best.

When I get up there, I'll let you experts tell me which "turdy-turdy" to buy!
That 7400 is a nice rifle! I used to have a Remington Model Four in 30'06 and two Remington Model 742 Woodsmasters. I bought the Model Four for moose hunting and sold it after my second moose hunt as it was starting to jam occasionally. The 742's and the Model Four were notorious for jamming. They came with a breech brush and if you didn't use it after every time out sooner or later it would jam. I had a model 740 in 30'06 a long time ago. That one didn't jam but the recoil always cracked the forestock. 30'06 is a great all around caliber. I plan to pick up another 30'06 in bolt action just to have in case I ever draw another moose permit. Can't have too many rifles! As far as which 30-30 to get they're all pretty much the same. You can mount a side mount scope on a Winchester or top mount on a Marlin, though 99% of people just use the iron sights on them.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
[quote=Maineah;3376324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Can't have too many rifles!
True...you can never have enough, let alone too many! My dad had an old Remington 740 in 30'06 and I still have it. It needs a new magazine, but is in good shape otherwise. You need to be a little careful with gunk building up around the trigger mechanism, but with even decent cleaning at the end of the season, I've never had a problem.

Buddy of mine used to go up to Maine to hunt. Says he hadn't got a deer in 3-4 years so he quit going up there. Finds plenty of them right here. One thing he did say - can you verify? - that you can walk into just about any store that sells ammo and buy all you want of it at once - no permit, no nothing! That's a far sight better than I can do down here! Might be worth a trip up just for ammo!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM

[quote=Nor'Eastah;3376412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post

True...you can never have enough, let alone too many! My dad had an old Remington 740 in 30'06 and I still have it. It needs a new magazine, but is in good shape otherwise. You need to be a little careful with gunk building up around the trigger mechanism, but with even decent cleaning at the end of the season, I've never had a problem.

Buddy of mine used to go up to Maine to hunt. Says he hadn't got a deer in 3-4 years so he quit going up there. Finds plenty of them right here. One thing he did say - can you verify? - that you can walk into just about any store that sells ammo and buy all you want of it at once - no permit, no nothing! That's a far sight better than I can do down here! Might be worth a trip up just for ammo!
No you don't need a permit to buy ammo here. A long time ago they used to make you sign a sheet and ask for an ID when buying ammo that could be used in a handgun. I remember having to sign a paper to buy .22 ammo because it could be used in a pistol. They did away with that law. They sell ammo all over the place here. Hardware stores and some drug stores sell it. Up country in Northern Maine almost every little Mom and Pop's country store will have at least the basics in 30-30,30'06,.22 and shotgun shells. There are tons of sporting goods stores that sell it, K-Mart sells it (if you can find one) Walmart did up until last year but have caved in to the anti gun morons. I buy a lot of ammo over the internet. They just ship it to me via USPS. It's perfectly legal around here. I buy .22 hollow points for squirrel hunting and the only place I can get them is over the net.
I also reload alot of rifle cartridges. It saves a ton of money and gives me something to do in the long Maine winter. What kind of permit do you need to buy ammo in RI?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Nikon 35-2 with 300mm 2.8 lens.

Oh-h. GUNS?

Nope. I don't mind if anyone wants to hunt, but I won't go hunting with a gun until they issue semi-automatic weapons the the deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine